What's new

Star Trek DS9 on Blu-Ray -- Remain Ever Hopeful Thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
If I'm not mistaken, this is also the site that James Gunn has taken to task on Twitter for writing things that have no basis in reality.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The Digital Bits casts doubt on that report:

Also, a number of you have asked us about a recent rumor that Alex Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout was quietly planning to do an HD-remaster of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I’ve done a quiet poll of many of those who were involved with the Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Next Generation HD remasters and none of them have been approached about the project. So our advice is definitely to take this rumor with a major grain of salt unless and until some kind of more official announcement is made. Let’s just say that I wouldn’t hold my breath in this particular case.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I was watching one of my favorite Star Trek The Next Generation episodes, The Chase from the blu ray set of course.

It has of course Norman Lloyd who recently passed away. I liked the premise of the story, a fun theory to explain why all the aliens look the same. And I enjoyed the insults lobbied between the Klingon and Cardassian captains.

What surprised me is that I watched this episode on my larger 1080 plasma screen. I last watched it on my older 720 plasma. On this viewing, I was very impressed by the image quality. And perhaps it was the way this episode was so brightly lit, the Cardassian make-up really stood out to me this time. The colors and details of the faces and costumes looked great. So it made me think of DS9. So hopefully we can see DS9 remastered. Given how dark the series tended to be lit, maybe the alien make-up on DS9 wouldn’t show up as vividly as it did on the TNG episode. And I have seen the documentary, What We Leave Behind with the remastered clips. Those clips didn’t seem to jump out at me like the TNG episode did.

Well, let’s hope there will be movement for a DS9 and Voyager remaster for HD. As the Romulan commander said at the end of the episodes; We’ll then captain, perhaps…..

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
was on the other site and saw this, take it what ever way you think is best. Some were saying that the cost was way to cheap for a complete series. Just sharing the info,

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
was on the other site and saw this, take it what ever way you think is best. Some were saying that the cost was way to cheap for a complete series. Just sharing the info,

^Seems impossible at that price, and more importantly, I believe we will know when a remaster of DS9 is underway.

And shockingly, it was too good to be true.

I took a flyer and ordered it yesterday pretty much with the 99% confidence it was an error, but no downside it taking a leap of faith. Order was cancelled this morning with a note apologizing that is list mislisted as DS9 instead of TOS

"Hello,
Unfortunately, this item was originally posted with the incorrect title. It is actually a re-issue of Star Trek: The Original Series. There is no information available as of yet for a Deep Space Nine blu-ray re-issue. We will cancel this order and if you have been charged, a refund will be issued as well as a refund of any points or credit used. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience.
Luc @ Bull Moose"

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don’t attack the messenger, but this lines up with what Mike Okuda has said:

This source is seems a bit more legit than the last one, which was a crap site. Plus, it's just a "will happen someday" statement, and honestly, I think we all figure it will happen someday. Just not right now.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I do agree with the sentiment that it’s likely to happen in some shape or form. They could rebuild everything from the ground up, like TNG. They could do a hybrid version with the live action material rescanned in HD, and the visual effects material upscaled from the SD broadcast masters, like Fox did for The X-Files and Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

I think the only thing that’s certain is that any physical media release would be a side effect of the work being greenlit and prepared for another platform, like Paramount+. It will not be done solely for Blu-ray sales because there is not nearly enough revenue potential on that alone to pay for the remastering.

If the 4K remaster of The Motion Picture for Paramount+ does good numbers on the service, I can only imagine that that will help the cause. If TMP is released on P+ and no one watches it, that won’t help.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I do agree with the sentiment that it’s likely to happen in some shape or form. They could rebuild everything from the ground up, like TNG. They could do a hybrid version with the live action material rescanned in HD, and the visual effects material upscaled from the SD broadcast masters, like Fox did for The X-Files and Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
I realize everything is basically an option but upconverting the effects doesn't seem like a truly viable option in today's TV world.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
You’d think, but that didn’t seem to bother Fox when they did X-Files, or CBS/Paramount when they did Twin Peaks, or Warner/HBO with Babylon 5 even more recently.

It all depends on how much they want to spend, and I think that’s dependent on how much they project that spending will return for them.

I do think it’s likely that the P+ initial exclusive of the TMP director’s cut is a sort of trial balloon. Paramount has heard years of fans asking for that title. But they heard the same with TNG remastered, spent a fortune on that project in good faith, and yet, the sales never came close to matching the anticipated demand. Simply put, the number of people who said they would buy it far exceeded the number who actually did. Doing the 4K remaster of TMP costs significantly less than doing fourteen combined 20+ episode seasons of hour long programs, but it will probably give them an idea of how online enthusiasm for a release translates into actual viewership in the current environment. If the viewership matches what they believed the demand would be, we’ve potentially got a ballgame. If the viewership falls far short, the opposite may be true as well.

I have no idea what their targets are but clearly the new shows are hitting their marks since every one that has debuted has been renewed for additional seasons. I would have to imagine that they’re gonna need a similar performance. If they feel these remasters will play only to a small percentage of viewers, they might not be able to make the math work. If they find that these remasters keep their existing subscribers engaged while bringing in new ones, that’s a different story.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
You’d think, but that didn’t seem to bother Fox when they did X-Files, or CBS/Paramount when they did Twin Peaks, or Warner/HBO with Babylon 5 even more recently.

It all depends on how much they want to spend, and I think that’s dependent on how much they project that spending will return for them.
In general, I agree. However, Star Trek isn't just a single series, it's a franchise. After what they did for TOS and TNG, I can't believe they would short-cut DS9 or Voyager. Enterprise is fine as it is. Obviously, the financial issues remain. My take is that they will wait until the cost to do it comes down to the budget they've set aside. Unfortunately, that may mean no physical media release depending on how long it takes.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Good news, for sure...I've always felt it makes no sense for all but two of the shows in the franchise to be in-at the very least-HD. I mean, absolutely no sense.

That being said, nothing less than a full redo is going to pass, IMHO. The DS9 doc did it to amazing results (and yes, I know they had a tiny fraction of the footage to upgrade that the whole series does). And yes, also agree TMP is a trial balloon to see what happens. This has to be more than a "number of eyeballs/views in the first week" type of metric, though. Their runway in determining success needs to be much, much longer. How many digital downloads are they going to sell long term? Physical releases? Potential licensing to other countries? Number of potential new sign ups to Paramount Plus IF this is a streaming exclusive release for the time being? Also, it's also long term. No one wants to watch SD content now. In ten years, DS9 and VOY won't register anywhere for the same reason.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Or if it stays streaming, and doesn't go to any other formats?

Every other Trek series in existence, no matter where it originally aired, is currently on physical media. Somehow I don't think when these remasters happen they will stay streaming exclusive. TPTB will milk all potential avenues of revenue, including physical and streaming purchases.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
If it makes it to P+, it will make it to blu-ray. Paramount isn't Disney.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Every other Trek series in existence, no matter where it originally aired, is currently on physical media. Somehow I don't think when these remasters happen they will stay streaming exclusive. TPTB will milk all potential avenues of revenue, including physical and streaming purchases.

The way I read this, if they didn't explore all options, they wouldn't make the money!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks