What's new

Star Trek DS9 on Blu-Ray -- Remain Ever Hopeful Thread (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Has there only been one mastering for DS9 and Voyager? I acquired the two shows on DVD when they first came out. Is there any sense in getting the latest box sets?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm actually resigned to the fact we won't get DS9 or VOY on BD in the same quality as TOS, TAS, TNG and ENT. CBS is going to regret this decision in 5...10 years. I get the financial aspect of all this, but at some point you also need to protect your golden goose. Trek, the entire franchise, is the golden goose for CBS.

TNG and Trek kept the proverbial lights on at Paramount for a time. It is a diamond in their library. The fact that we're NOW getting only a second release (same discs...) of DS9 18 years after the show ended is pathetic and speaks to their general incompetence. If they had any sense, DS9 and VOY would have been getting re-released in conjunction with an anniversary. These releases, with no change to the content, is random.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Perhaps they had been in the world to coincide with Discovery's intended launch date - perhaps episodes of that show would have been heavily saturated with ads for the new sets. If it's not a holdover from that (or 50th anniversary stuff they forgot to release on time), then I'm out of guesses :)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Oh, I have no doubt it was designed for Discovery. However, ST:D hasn't been slotted for a January release since August 2016. That was plenty of time to rejigger the plans. As it is now, the new releases have nothing to tie into; even if ST:D still had its May release date, it's too far away to be effective cross promotion. Without a new date, well, these releases are going out into the void.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
From Trekcore:

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

Ugh! Another ugly dump truck of discs collection from CBS.
Air dates, disc art, dedicated season sets in individual slim cases for the complete collection, and a nice booklet to go along with it(episode summaries, set, prop, and cast photos etc.).
No.
Sorry, I'm still stuck in this weird time frame where Star Trek was regarded as something special in the TV landscape and would be treated as such.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
^^ Looks like a typical generic low-budget shelf-friendly complete series set released by CBS/Paramount.

:)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(With that being said).

Hypothetically if I were to buy this DS9 set and/or the upcoming Voyager set, most likely it would be an "impulse buy" at Costco at the end of this year (2017) or one of those amazon heavily discounted 1-day sales.

I've been watching the DS9, TNG, Voyager, Enterprise and TOS daily reruns for a long time, that I have probably seen every DS9, Enterprise and Voyager episode at least a dozen times already (whether live or taped/dvr'd).

So the dvds/blurays were never really a high priority purchase for me. (Though I did pick up the TNG season 1 bluray within in its first month of release, largely because I wanted to see how good the hd restoration and redone fx looked).

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I like them! Much much less expensive. Take up less shelf space.
Who cares about booklets etc? I only look at them once anyway. A nice compact self contained package.
I bought TOS, TNG , and Enterprise Blu rays from British Amazon at a fraction of the price here and may buy Voyager and DS9 when the price is good and I am absolutely certain there will be no HD upgrade. They arrived quickly with no damage.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Who cares about booklets etc? I only look at them once anyway.

Same here.

If I want to know more information about particular episodes or the show in general, nowadays I just go to the trek specific wikis (ie. memory alpha, etc ...) or the general wikipedia.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have Trek episode summary sites bookmarked on my phone. Often watch and think "who is this actor" find out and IMDB gives me his or her life story.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Those cases look bizarre. Couldn't they just make seven slim cases? Why is that so hard? Doesn't anyone at CBS see how this is ugly?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Those cases look bizarre. Couldn't they just make seven slim cases? Why is that so hard? Doesn't anyone at CBS see how this is ugly?

7 discs seems to be one too many for the slim cases, so they have to go to the chunky ones like S7 in the pic is in. So the epikpaks save space and materials.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Don't be afraid! The cases are actually nice. Each disk has a hub with no possibility of cardboard damage.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I like them! Much much less expensive. Take up less shelf space.
Who cares about booklets etc? I only look at them once anyway. A nice compact self contained package.
I bought TOS, TNG , and Enterprise Blu rays from British Amazon at a fraction of the price here and may buy Voyager and DS9 when the price is good and I am absolutely certain there will be no HD upgrade. They arrived quickly with no damage.
I agree 100% I purchased the same packages - except for TOS where I purchased the Canadian release (it was much less expensive at the time but still in rather compact packaging). Plus I've spent a bit less than the MSRP of the new DS9 or Voyager set for all three on BR!

I *really* like those new compact sets but I'll not double-dip just to get them that way. No HD upgrade, no sale.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I ordered the complete series of Matlock from Amazon, and I got the crappy CBS mega stuffed pack cases like the ones used for the DS9 re-release. Terribly quality. Cheap crap.
Now I have to sell it on E-Bay, and buy the original individual seasons to replace it.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Six discs is the most you can get in a standard-width (14mm) Amaray case. Anything more and you have to go up in size.

Still, it seems bizarre to split them up as 3 seasons, 3 seasons and 1 season. I know you couldn't necessarily have three exact-size cases for an odd number of seasons, but you'd have thought there'd have been a more equal way to divide these up that would take about the same amount of space.

As for the space-savings vs lavish presentation, I believe I fall in the "take up as little space as possible" crowd. I have such a large collection that space is always a premium, and if I have a choice in an earlier release in bulky (but nice-looking) packaging and a re-release in bare-bones (but smaller) packaging, the smaller box will win every time.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
More compact doesnt always mean better. The bulky cases are terrible.
Sure they latch well enough, but mostly close unevenly leaving open spaces on the top or bottom of cases. And the case art inserts are always all over the map once opened. Sticking out on top, of the case or sliding from the bottom. It's just a sloppy mess, all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks