What's new

Stan Lee passed away (1 Viewer)

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Just want to add my two cents to the chorus of those expressing sadness at the passing of an American icon today. Rest in peace, Stan. You will be missed.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Same here. All of our lives were richer because we shared this planet with Stan. Goodnight, sweet prince.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
upload_2018-11-12_19-20-42.jpeg

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I was very sad when I heard about Stan’s passing today. Still am.

Rest in piece Stan.

‘Nuf said.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
It's very sad...

but..

95 is a very long life, and he obviously had a tremendous career and leaves a huge legacy which is going to continue on for years to come.

So, there's that.

Presumably, at the very least Captain Marvel will get a dedication card now as it is Marvel's next release, but I wonder if they might also do that on Avengers 4, which, as the culminating film of the MCU to date, seems like an appropriate place to mark his passing in a major way.

Also: I hate to say this, but...which film is the last one he shot a cameo in? Far From Home?

I’m hoping that he will visit us on screen in the next three MCU films. I would think that his cameos for Infinity War and Avengers 4 were filmed at the same time probably sometime in 2017. Captain Marvel wrapped production in July and Spider-Man finished last month.

Seems like Marvel would want to acknowledge Stan in their next release, so I would expect something with Captain Marvel. But I also can’t see how they wouldn’t do something with Avengers 4. And of course Spider-Man and Stan have a special connection so I also think that film would be the most appropriate final farewell. Considering Stan’s contribution to comics and his special presence in this genre of films, I think acknowledging his contributions and saying farewell can and should be done over these next few films. At least that is what I would do.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I was a voracious reader of Marvel Comics when I was 8. Stan's writing in the comics and his editorial writing conveyed a sense of belonging, and I loved that. That year, I decided I wanted to send Stan a Christmas card (I'm sure I didn't know or understand that he was Jewish), so I got one from our family's stack of cards and did so. A week or so later, Stan sent me a card back! It was from his own stash (I think it said "peace") and was signed personally. I got a card from him every year thereafter for about 5 years, and he put me on Marvel's holiday card mailing list, so I got them well into my teenage years. It was a beautiful move that made me appreciate Marvel and their bond with the audience.

I'm sad to think of a world without him, but glad to know he lived a long time and achieved a body of work that is impressive by anyone's standards. I'm sure the fact that he brought so much joy to so many people helped bring him the same.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Anyone who wants to read some great silver age comics written by Stan Lee, check out the first 100 or so issues of The Amazing Spider-Man and Fantastic Four.

Isn't Stan the person responsible for "With great power comes great responsibility"? Perhaps the most classic line in all of comic book pop culture.

Anyone heard rumors that he filmed some mo-cap footage to be used in upcoming Marvel films?

I don't know about mo-cap, but he definitely filmed his scene for Avengers 4. I suspect he did the same for Captain Marvel and the Spider-Man sequel too. Kevin Feige wouldn't say how many more films he'd done scenes for. He said Stan liked surprises and they will continue that.

But can you imagine the cheers in Avengers 4 when Stan shows up?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Just returning to the real world after a little travel. All I can say is , this is a man who has earned his reward and deserves to rest.

Thanks for so much, Mr. Stan Lee!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Re: Post #30 above

I found the old holiday cards that Stan and Marvel sent me. Looks like the first one from Stan was in 1977 (according to the postmark on the envelope). The next is from 1978. I didn't include '79, although I have it, since the card is the same as '78. The 1980 and 1981 cards are from Marvel. Also, in '81, I got a postcard from Stan's assistant, thanking me for wishing him a happy holiday.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Two more quick stories:

Once I was writing a letter to Stan. I was about 9. I started it "Dear Stan (the Man)," but my older brother came in and said "what are you doing?" "I'm writing a letter to Stan Lee," I said. He looked over my shoulder. "You can't write a letter like that! You can't call him Stan the Man! You have to write 'Dear Mr. Lee!'" Our oldest brother walked in, and the middle brother was still going off. "He's writing a letter to Stan Lee and he's starting it 'Dear Stan the Man!' Can you believe this?" When all was said and done, I sent the letter the way I wanted. I knew Stan would be fine with it.

We learned cursive writing in grammar school. The nuns in my school made us write as neatly as possible, without any flair. My signature was boring, and looked like every other kid in school. I went to a public high school and had a teacher who taught us that our signature is the most important thing we have. We use it on checks, to sign documents, to agree to contracts, etc. So I needed a better signature. So I copied Stan's. I liked the way his "S" had some flair, and went into the "t," crossing it. To this day, I use my "Stan" signature, with a big "S" ("like lightning!" one of the girls in high school said) with the "m" crossing into the "F" of my last name. All because of Stan Lee.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I don't know about mo-cap, but he definitely filmed his scene for Avengers 4. I suspect he did the same for Captain Marvel and the Spider-Man sequel too. Kevin Feige wouldn't say how many more films he'd done scenes for. He said Stan liked surprises and they will continue that.
What about X-Men: The Dark Phoenix? Hasn't that been complete for a while now?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks