What's new

Pre-Order Stage Fright (Warner Archive Collection) (1950) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
It’s interesting that a lot of titles are remastered at 4k and then released only on Blu-ray.

I have never seen this one but plan to pick it up.

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
Certainly not in the same league as Hitchcock's best from the 1950s: Strangers on a Train, Rear Window, Vertigo and North by Northwest. I'm not a Dietrich fan, and I've never cared much for Stage Fright. My go-to critic Leonard Maltin writes: "some exciting moments, but the Master misses on this one." And I agree.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
It’s interesting that a lot of titles are remastered at 4k and then released only on Blu-ray.
4k is now the standard for digital preservation whether or not a Blu-ray or any other use is specifically contemplated.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

I'd hate to imagine what that one process shot of Marlene Dietrich would look in 4K. Blu-ray is going to be unforgiving enough for that.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I'd hate to imagine what that one process shot of Marlene Dietrich would look in 4K. Blu-ray is going to be unforgiving enough for that.
7459b4958b9d1b39646f0d1a45adf0b7.gif

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mr & Mrs. Smith would be the last full length American film not released on Blu-ray.
George Feltenstein confirmed in the podcast linked below that Mr. and Mrs. Smith is the last Hitchcock title that Warner owns that is still in need of a Blu-ray release. He's working on it, but it won't be in 2022. Perhaps, in future years.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

I think Stage Fright is a really good movie. It stands pretty high in my personal ratings for the Hitchcock films of the 1950s....I've been waiting for years for Stage Fright and have pre-ordered it.

Stage Fright: A
Strangers on a Train: A+
I Confess: B+
Dial M for Murder: A-
Rear Window: A+
To Catch a Thief: A
The Trouble with Harry: B+
The Man Who Knew Too Much: A+
The Wrong Man: B+
Vertigo: A+
North by Northwest: A+

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think Stage Fright is a really good movie. It stands pretty high in my personal ratings for the Hitchcock films of the 1950s....I've been waiting for years for Stage Fright and have pre-ordered it.

Stage Fright: A
Strangers on a Train: A+
I Confess: B+
Dial M for Murder: A-
Rear Window: A+
To Catch a Thief: A
The Trouble with Harry: B+
The Man Who Knew Too Much: A+
The Wrong Man: B+
Vertigo: A+
North by Northwest: A+
I agree; Stage Fright has never been given its due, I don't think. I loved it from the very first time I saw it on TV, and my admiration has never ceased.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I agree; Stage Fright has never been given its due, I don't think. I loved it from the very first time I saw it on TV, and my admiration has never ceased.
Back in the late '70's, I think, Film Comment ran a feature on the last page every month of film critics and filmmakers writing about their favorite unappreciated films, and Molly Haskell did a fabulous piece praising "Stage Fright", particularly focusing on Dietrich's performance. I also love the opening "flashback", it's one of Hitchcock's best sustained suspense sequences, and also Joyce Grenfell bellowing "Shoot lovely ducks". At least, I'm pretty sure that's Joyce Grenfell.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Very enjoyable podcast. Thanks for uploading it! (I was predicting that George's #1 would be National Velvet. Boy, was I wrong!)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I have never seen it, but being a HUGE Alastair Sim fan does he have a good role in the film?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Yes, it's one of his best performances from my pov. And he's in quite a bit of the movie. It's a fairly substantial role.
You just sold one copy! I love any film Sim is in, Scrooge is my favorite of his with Cottage To Let and The Belles Of St. Trinian's and Laughter In Paradise all great films.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Yes, like for many others here Sim's version of a Christmas Carol from 1951 is my favorite. As you know, he's sometimes hilarious in that. And he's also very good in Stage Fright from just a year before.

Last edited:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I ignored this movie for years after hearing very little good about it. My wife and I caught it on TCM one night several years ago. We both said "well, damnit, I liked it!". I am glad we are not the only ones who find this an under-rated gem. Definitely one of the master's lighter works.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Yes, like for many others here Sim's version of a Christmas Carol from 1951 is my favorite. As you know, he's sometimes hilarious in that. And he's also very good in Stage Fright from just a year before.
Going to pre-order Stage Fright thank you! More Sim is always a treat!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I ignored this movie for years after hearing very little good about it. My wife and I caught it on TCM one night several years ago. We both said "well, damnit, I liked it!". I am glad we are not the only ones who find this an under-rated gem. Definitely one of the master's lighter works.
The reason it's mostly criticized is because of a certain structural device--or should I say, a very personal take on a specific kind of film grammar--which "wasn't done" back in the day, but is now used by filmmakers of every stripe, and has been, since the 1950's. It subverts certain aspects of the genre, which for me, makes the film more interesting, as it has a kind of ripple effect, altering one's perceptions. Hitchcock, as usual, was ahead of his time. But there's so much more--the atmosphere of the "backstage London" setting, all these wonderful British character actors, and a song Cole Porter wrote specifically for Ms. Dietrich, "The Laziest Gal in Town." That sequence alone is worth the price of admission.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The reason it's mostly criticized is because of a certain structural device--or should I say, a very personal take on a specific kind of film grammar--which "wasn't done" back in the day, but is now used by filmmakers of every stripe, and has been, since the 1950's. It subverts certain aspects of the genre, which for me, makes the film more interesting, as it has a kind of ripple effect, altering one's perceptions. Hitchcock, as usual, was ahead of his time. But there's so much more--the atmosphere of the "backstage London" setting, all these wonderful British character actors, and a song Cole Porter wrote specifically for Ms. Dietrich, "The Laziest Gal in Town." That sequence alone is worth the price of admission.
Marlene Dietrich included that song in her cabaret act for several years. I first came across the song when she performed it in one of her television shows in the 1960s. She told the audience it was by Cole Porter and came from Stage Fright.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks