What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Announcement: King Solomon's Mines (1950) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I think the poster's original red color scheme was much better than the bland blue that Warners ended up with. Much more appropriate for the period.

King Solomon's Mines.jpg

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I think the poster's original red color scheme was much better than the bland blue that Warners ended up with.

View attachment 182104
In the 1970s M-G-M released again many of these movie-films to actual theater(e)s. For Weekend matinees I was usually able to get a "teen" admission to a double feature for circa $1.50 -

I believe the Richard Chamberlain film was on HBO/The Movie Channel or SkineMax during free preview weekends . I would often record whatever was playing on VHS - I can't say as I watched the whole thing other than fast-forwarding to get to the next one and realizing it was NOT my father's Oldsmobile ... <_<

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
What exactly did Warners do to the faces of Debbie and Stewart? That looks more like 80 year-old Julie Andrews is being romanced by Justin Theroux. Are they hoping recasting the cover will increase sales?

Stewart and Deb.jpg

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Wow! I can’t buy this now because the ugly cover will bring down the beauty of all the other covers on my shelve. :P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:rolling-smiley::rolling-smiley::rolling-smiley:It is all about the covers.
I’d sooner have those artist impressions than photographs of the stars faces, which is what we always get on unimaginative posters today.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I’d sooner have those artist impressions than photographs of the stars faces, which is what we always get on unimaginative posters today.
The disc will be stunningly restored thats what matters - seems MGM of the 1940s and mid 50s had horrible poster art

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I for one am glad that Warner Archive Collection uses the original movie poster artwork for their releases.
I like using the original posters too but not when a heavy modern hand thinks that they're going to improve the artwork somehow - but lacks the ability.

King Solomon's Minescomparison.jpg

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
They brought fussy, unwieldy Technicolor cameras to film in Africa? Or did they use Technicolor's mono pack film?

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I like using the original posters too but not when a heavy modern hand thinks that they're going to improve the artwork somehow - but lacks the ability.
Not quite sure what you mean by that, as here is what I am told is the original one sheet which looks to me like what WAC is using:

il_1588xN.4047137454_gngw.jpg

But enough of the artwork. I am very pleased that this is going to be released soon!

Last edited:

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
What does that say at the bottom? Isn't the poster from the 1963 re-release?
The red background poster has the original Pulp Novel-style illustration of the leads. The blue background version is obviously a botched attempt to freshen up the artwork because the original illustration was lost.

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
What exactly did Warners do to the faces of Debbie and Stewart? That looks more like 80 year-old Julie Andrews is being romanced by Justin Theroux. Are they hoping recasting the cover will increase sales?

View attachment 182113
They did nothing. They are using original poster art as has already been pointed. But for me personally I would much rather watch the great new restoration than look at the blu ray cover.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They did nothing. They are using original poster art as has already been pointed. But for me personally I would much rather watch the great new restoration than look at the blu ray cover.
It’s hysterical that we’re talking more about the cover art than this upcoming Blu-ray presentation derived from a new 4K scan. I’m excited to see what this 3-strip Technicolor movie will look like on my OLED.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.