What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Not considered by certain Alfred Hitchcock scholars as among his best work, Stage Fright is worthy of some reconsideration with a top cast of stars and a more-than-gripping story of murder and its subsequent investigation.

Stage Fright (1950)

Released: 15 Apr 1950
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 110 min

Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Genre: Film-Noir, Mystery, Thriller

Cast: Marlene Dietrich, Jane Wyman, Richard Todd
Writer(s): Whitfield Cook, Alma Reville, Selwyn Jepson

Plot: A struggling actress tries to help a friend prove his innocence after he's accused of murdering the husband of a high society entertainer.

IMDB rating: 7.1
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Warner Brothers
Distributed By: Warner Archive...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Thanks, Matt! I'm REALLY looking forward to this one! Love the review, this one has always been a favorite.

The cast is terrific, though I always felt that Kay Walsh (at the time having just gone through a divorce from David Lean) was criminally underused.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Terrific discussion of the film, Matt. Hopefully, folks unfamiliar with the film will add it to their libraries.

Regarding David Lean and Kay Walsh, he once told me whist enjoying a spectacular scotch, that through the years he much enjoyed relationships with women.

And married many of them.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review. I saw Stage Fright for the first time 2 1/2 years ago on the old DVD. I enjoyed it quite a bit and had no previous exposure to it or the plot. I’ll be looking forward to revisiting this.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Terrific discussion of the film, Matt. Hopefully, folks unfamiliar with the film will add it to their libraries.

Regarding David Lean and Kay Walsh, he once told me whist enjoying a spectacular scotch, that through the years he much enjoyed relationships with women.

And married many of them.
Yes he was quite ladies man and regarding Stage Fright for so many movie critics this was usually at the bottom of a list of good and not so good Hitchcock films and I never understood 'why' . For what its worth I rate it 8/10 and very enjoyable . The new BD is 10/10 .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks