What's new

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Back in the late '70's, I think, Film Comment ran a feature on the last page every month of film critics and filmmakers writing about their favorite unappreciated films, and Molly Haskell did a fabulous piece praising "Stage Fright", particularly focusing on Dietrich's performance. I also love the opening "flashback", it's one of Hitchcock's best sustained suspense sequences, and also Joyce Grenfell bellowing "Shoot lovely ducks". At least, I'm pretty sure that's Joyce Grenfell.

You're right: it is a fabulous piece and makes a very persuasive argument for Stage Fright. It was in the Fall 1970 issue. You're welcome. :)

lark144

Screenwriter
Real Name
mark gross
You're right: it is a fabulous piece and makes a very persuasive argument for Stage Fright. It was in the Fall 1970 issue. You're welcome. :)
Fall 1970? Had no idea it was that long ago. Either Andrew Sarris or Richard Corliss wrote about "Ace in the Hole" in the previous issue, which back then was thought a dud, though now is finally considered one of Wilder's greatest films thanks to Criterion's re-issue. Hopefully, WA's release of "Stage Fright", which should look dazzling, will help rehabilitate the reputation of Hitch's film as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
postbox
Recent bookmarks