What's new

Squeezing the most from your Home Theater (part II) VIDEO (1 Viewer)

Andy Stocker

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Sean, you have a 32" TV so I'll ask you too; how far do you sit from your TV? I saw where Mike said that twice the diagonal distance of the TV is a general rule. I sit about 9 feet from mine and I wonder if that is too far (especially for 2.35:1 DVD's)...any thoughts?? I think I would move my couch closer if I knew it would help, but it would be a pain in the rear just to "try it out"

Thanks again

Andy Stocker

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Andy, I think twice the Diagonal distance would be a little under 6 ft.

I sit 7 ft. from the TV and find it perfect, it seems any closer than 7 ft. and the scan lines are too apparent.

If you can it may be worth the effort to move your couch 1 ft. closer and see how you like it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mattes rule! A surprisingly effective and cheap tweak. I used foam-core cardboard, attached to my TV using adhesive-backed velcro strips. I also hung black fabric from the bottom of the matte; it blocks the lights from the stereo equipment, while allowing the remote to work. Also, I cut the matte to fit a 2.35:1 image on my TV, then slit the matte further, so the top/bottom of the matte could be folded back to fit a 1.85:1 image.

As for lights: I wear contacts, and I've always been bothered by watching TV in a dark room -- I get a slight glare. In the past I would would turn on a hall light or a light in an adjacent room to provide a soft glow. Recently, I placed a $5 fluorescent lamp behind the TV, with a few sheets of white paper over it to soften it. This is exactly what I've wanted all these years! So, if you prefer to watch TV with a little light in the room, try a light behind the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks