What's new

Spy Game Dvd defective (1 Viewer)

Gunnar H.

Auditioning
I was able to get an early look at Universal's SPY GAME Dvd.

I have a Toshiba SD-2200 which has worked flawlessly with the exception of Holy Grail special edition with regards to the subtitle feature. Well guess what? The subtitle problem is back with Spy Game. The subtitles cannot be deactivated from the dvd menu or the player overrides. The only time it ceases is when you stop the film and then play again and it only stays off for a few minutes. I own Universal's K-Pax and it works perfectly so I am a little frustrated why SPY GAME is faulty. I did notice between the two dvd's that the Captioned for hearing impaired option is included with all the audio and subtitle options on one menu screen whereas the K-PAX Dvd lists the caption option on a seperate menu page. Please reply if anyone else experiences this problem.

Thanks,

Gunnar

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Seems to be Toshiba players. My 5109 has the same problem. Jeff, how can you tell what software ver. you have?

Jeff Gibbons

Agent
To see what version you have start the player with no DVD(s) in it. Then press Zoom, 6, 0, 6, Zoom.

I'm not sure what the latest version is. If anyone knows, please post.

So far it seems to only happen with older Toshiba players. I guess we'll have to wait a few days to see how widespread a problem this really is.

Thane

Stunt Coordinator
I watched this DVD on my computer last night & had exactly the same problem as described...very frustrating!!

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit
No problem on a Toshiba 2800.

Mind you, my problems with the Holy Grail: SE that I had on my old 1600 have disappeared with the 2800 as well.

Rob T

Screenwriter
Damn. I'll try renting this disc first then. If theres no problems (and if I like the movie well enough), I'll go ahead and buy it.

Aaron Croft

Stunt Coordinator
REALLY bad on the Toshiba SD-1600... turns on constantly, and I have to stop and start the movie literally every 2 minutes or so... I think I'm taking this one back to the store :frowning: I really liked this movie too.. any fix for this?
Aaron

John Choi

Agent
I tried the Spy Game DVD on my Toshiba 2109 DVD player with Firmware version 1.8 and had the problem of the subtitles constantly being played no matter what I did. I then tried it on a Samsung DVD player and had no problems.

I returned the DVD anyway and had the same problem on the Toshiba with 2nd copy of the movie, but not on the Samsung.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Gotta be honest, I'm just about to purchase Spy Game, and I a have a Toshiba 2109... so I am kinda caught in 2 minds now... also, I bought the Roots set in January, and I can't switch the subtitles off on that at all... :frowning:

Tom De Rosa

Stunt Coordinator
Does the same thing on my 3109.

If I go into the player Setup(when STOPped) and change the SUBTITLE to something else, it keeps the subtitles off for about five minutes at a time.

However, no matter what I put it on, including Spanish, it always comes back on.

BTW, setting it to Spanish(Disc setting) displays the Spanish subtitles.

John Choi

Agent
I sent a e-mail to Universal Studios about this problem and they responded back by asking where I purchased the DVD as well as the name and model number of the dvd player I was using. I'll send that information to them tonight and I'll post whatever I find out.

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
You can add another Toshiba SD3109 to the list of "Those With Subtitle Problems"! My mom and I tried to watch this last night and while there were areas where the subtitles didn't come back on for 15 - 20 minutes, they ALWAYS came back on at some point. I checked the Subtitle feature on this as well and it was always off, and locked out (I couldn't change it at all!).
As soon as anyone knows how to fix this, please post the fix here!

Joel C

Screenwriter
D'oh! I just bought this! I wonder if the SD-1200 is ok. The only disc I have ever had problems with is Monty Python and the Holy Grail SE (still considering mailing it back, but I might get a new player soon).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oussa13
Recent bookmarks