What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

"Spider-man 3" becomes the best selling Blu-ray title with 130,000 copies sold (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Which only proves we better keep ourselves from too heated discussions until we know the facts. :)
Well, to be honest: I don't think most of the heated discussions appeared on this forum, one really had to go elsewhere.

Cees

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Indeed, Cees. This thread has been really civil.

Well, now we know. I think, in all honesty, Sony has to be disappointed in those numbers. 130k total for SM3 and SMT combined is simply low. Now, it may have less of a drop off, but it's low none-the-less. One would think that Ratatouille should easily pass that number.

On the other hand, HD-DVD completely disappearing, except for 24k copies of Transformers, isn't great for them, either. Transformers has great numbers (that's still nearly a 50% attach rate, something Sony would LOVE to have for SM3), but no other discs are selling really well.

Jarod M

Stunt Coordinator
The Nielsen numbers have never looked more suspect and unreliable. If we are to believe Nielsen, then HD DVD probably sold fewer titles than players this past week. Maybe this sizable bump in players will be reflected more in later weeks, but it still doesn't reflect well on the validity of Nielsen.

By the way, I have to commend paidgeek for answering that question.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
What HASN'T been counted is the single-disc SM3s that sold with 40GB PS3's. One could debate whether or not they should be counted, seeing as some may opt to buy the trilogy set and end up with two.

And they're probably buying the PS3 for the PS3 and not the movie.

Then again, it would curb sales for those who would only buy SM3.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

I doubt those would be counted. If you count those, then you might want to count the 5 DVDs you get through the mail with the Toshiba players. 90,000 A2s sold in a week times 5 equals 450,000 HD DVDs sold in a week. :crazy:

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Everybody's freebies have always been counted I believe.

You can't even divide the 450,000 by 5 to give a single title excellent sales, though, since people can pick what they want.

Also, they'd probably be tallied when they ship (which is always down the road). Now the Amazon pick 2 free movies at checkout on the other hand...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Only at Enron, and only during a certain period, I believe.

In other businesses it's generally not considered good practice to measure your commercial success by the number of items you gave away for free (let alone count it as "sales"). Nor to estimate customer demand by that number.

The number one would really need is "gross profit", but "sales" will do if the profit on each item is known (and steady).

Cees

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

Not with game consoles, generally. "Packed in" software that's physically in the box isn't counted in NPD sell-through figures. No idea about Neilsen numbers.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Neilsen only includes over the counter sales figures. Any bundled and or mail in offer copies are never included.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I was talking about mail-in Blu-rays and HD DVDs, not pack-ins.

So maybe none of them are counted. Though it was often suggested they were ... as an excuse for why more BDs were sold. Although both camps have consistently had these mail-in offers.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
No, they are not icluded in Neilsen figures. To clarify again, Neilsen only includes over he counter sales, ie. items that are scanned at the check out sales counter and charged for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks