What's new

Speakers to go with Marantz 5300? (1 Viewer)

Dave McAtee

Auditioning
Hey everyone, I've heard good things about the sound of the Marantz 5300, but I am wondering what speakers would be a good match for it? Anybody have suggestions based on experience? Thanks.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
My Mordaunt-Short MS-906 towers are a great match for my SR6200. For bookshelves look at the MS-902. They make a matching centre channel, the 905c or 504 THX.

I found the MS sound to be superior to the Mission 774 and Paradigm Studio/60s. The '60's had been my choice up until auditioning the 906s. The Mordaunt-Shorts are less expensive to boot.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Dave,

It all depends on your tastes. What kind of sound do you like? What have you heard that you like?

That is a nice receiver. I used to have the SR4300.

Dave McAtee

Auditioning
Thanks for the recommendation on the Shorts. I can get them with the receiver since they are both sold at Marantz dealers. I will strongly consider them.

I have another question... I have two Technics SB-LX90K speakers (15" woofers, 200W) which I pretty much got for free.. should I use them for my fronts and get Short 902s for rear and a Short 905c for the center, or do you think it would be significantly better for me to use Mordaunt-Shorts for all of the speakers? BTW, I haven't listened to the Technics yet, they are currently being shipped to me along with some DJ equipment I won on ebay.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
It's more important to have the three front speakers be as close as possible to each other in tonal quality. Therefore, you should get MS across the front and perhaps use the Technics for the rear. However, it is also preferable that the surrounds be mounted at slightly above ear level, and I don't know if you can do that with your Technics. If you can't, try them floor mounted and see how you like the performance. With woofers that size, they should produce excellent bass, probably better than the Mordaunt-Shorts (though the MS will likely be more detailed and smoother).

If you can afford them, I'd recommend the MS-906 3-way towers. If not, the 902s (stand mounted) sound great also. In either case, a separate subwoofer is recommended for HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks