What's new

Speaker & Sub Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Matt_G_M

Auditioning
I have $2000 to upgrade my HT. I went to a local AV store and the salesman recommend I keep my receiver, Yamaha HTR-5460, and spend the 2K on speakers and a sub. He recommended the Klipsch Reference Series (RF-25, RC-25, RS-25, & RSW-25). We haven't talked final numbers, but the sticker prices total $1980. He said he'd "work with me on the final price." Any thoughts on how much the store might come down? Is this a good price for those speakers/sub? Should I keep the receiver and put all of the money towards speakers/sub? Are these the best speakers/sub I can get for my money? Any other speakers/sub any of you recommend? Thanks for the input.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
There is no best speaker for the money....it is all subjective.

I suggest you go out and listen to different stuff and decide on what YOU like.

Matt_G_M

Auditioning
I can see that - I'm a newbie. Since it is subjective, I'm curious how people would reply to the following:

You have $2000 to spend on speakers and a sub. What would you buy?

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I would look at Ascend Acoustics and Axiom Audio.

Both these internet direct companies offer tremendous value, and their speakers are often compared to others costing 2 to three times as much. Another company to look at is also AV123.com I like their Reference line, but it is considerably more money.

MikeSta

Auditioning
I would plan on taking a day, and I mean a day not just an hour or two, and demo as many speakers as you can. Grab a number of DVD's and CD's that you own and listen/watch on a regular basis so you are familiar with different scenes. Take these disks to the local quality audio store and test the different speakers with YOUR reference material.

Take your time, don't feel rushed. Listen and compare, ask as many questions as you can think of but most importantly just listen. The speakers you are looking for will talk to you. Every speaker has its own unique sound quality and is built to sound better in HT or for just audio or they try and compromise somewhere in the middle.

Many of the brands mentioned would make great systems but you wont know until you listen to them yourself. I would also NOT buy the speakers on your first trip to the store. Demo different brands, go home and think about things, go back and demo again. If you are spending a good wad you want to make sure you will be happy with the decision later on down the road.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
Yes, shop around! For that amount of $$ there are a LOT of speakers and receivers that you could get. Like MikeSta said, take a full day or more and go every place in town.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I find myself agreeing with Curtis for the second time today. I believe that there are some very fine values to be found via the Internet-direct companies. For example, check out the Rocket package # 3 for $1,800. Since you can get the UFW-10 subwoofer with this package for only $200, you will come in right at your price point.

I have this exact package at home (although I am awaiting delivery on the sub) and it is truly a very fine HT system. And the best looking that I have seen.

Philip A

Agent
Might I suggest Dahlquist?

I have had my Dahlquist 6.1 speaker set for 1 year now and absolutely love them. A friend just yesterday couldn't believe the imaging and wide/deep (3-D frankly) sound-stage from them in 2 channel stereo. He pointed to a spot above and forward from the speakers that he could hear a percussion bell ringing. He made me switch between multiple and two channel settings on my receiver to be sure I wasn't fooling him.

Before I bought them I looked/listened to Polk, Infinity, Klipsch, and Paradigm locally. None of them were satisfactory, nor were the prices all that great. So, I started haunting forums like this and learned of the Axioms, Energys, and Dahlquists (also HTD, Ascend, etc.). More than a few people were recommending Marc H.'s help from the Audio Shop in Ottawa.

http://www.audioshop.on.ca/
[email protected]

So, I emailed Marc and he called me back (on his dime). We talked about the Axioms and I was ready to order when I asked him about anything else in the price range that he could suggest. He mentioned that the Dahlquists were consistently being chosen over the Axioms, Energys, and Paradigms in his showroom with a/b comparisons. I was intrigued, but knew nothing of the Dahlquists. So, I worked hard to get educated and finally decided to go for it.

Marc's service, price, helpfulness were/are better than anyone I've ever worked with (local or internet). You would do well to at least talk with him.

As for HT I'm blown away--just watched Die Another Day and X-Men 1.5 (both DTS). The Dahl's just handle everything effortlessly. The surround effects on Bourne Identity in the apartment before the attack are truly eerie and seamless. In fact, two of my family members have KLIPSCH for their systems and both wish they'd known about Dahlquist. In fact, one of their wives just visited last week and her first comment was, "Wow, these are so clear."

Best to you,
Phil

Equipment:

Yamaha RX 1200 (6.1)
Sony ES CD player (optical out)
Xbox DVD/gaming (component & optical out)
Sony HiFi VHS
Dahlquist QX10's and QX60C across the front
Dahlquist QX6's and QX4 across the back
Monster Cable HTS2000 surge/line conditioner

DanaA

Screenwriter
This is another vote in favor of what Curtis said. Companies that sell only through the internet and by phone cut out the distributor and retailer and pass a good deal of those savings onto you. They can be excellent speakers at an outstanding price. Check them out.

That said, Klipsch speakers, if you like the sound, can be outstanding. They are all full of slam and quite detailed. An advantage is their great efficiency. You don't need a huge amp to drive them. A warning would be to carefully select the electronics paired up with them. Their revealing nature makes it, imo, a necessity to match them up with good quality electronics that compliment their sound. Anything else might lead to a match not made in heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks