What's new

Speaker Recommendations (1 Viewer)

nystinger

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
What do you all recommend for a new 5.1 Home Theater System? Budget for the entire system will probably be around $3K. I don't know how to describe what I like except in this way: I have speakers now (Ohm H's - very old) that sound very "loose" to me - I like a "tight base" sound ... base that one can hear "separate" from the rest of the music ... if that makes sense. Paradigm and Definitive Technology have been recommended. Also interested in opinions on floor standing vs bookshelf and separate sub vs. models that have subs in the speaker. My LR is probably about 13' X 24'. Thanks in advance. Larry

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
When it comes to speakers, it becomes very subjective very quickly. So you're best bet is to try and listen to a cross-section of speakers yourself. Of course, that's hard these days, as the number of places to listen is small. So when you buy, look for a good in-home audition and return policy; most decent internet-based dealers have such a policy. To me, "tight bass" sounds closest to "accurate", so I'll mention that the Canadian speakers are known for accurate response curves. Check out Paradigm, PSB, and Axiom. (Axiom is my favorite for the cost/performance; they're kind of the Onkyo of speakers.) Floorstanding vs bookshelves is almost more a design choice than an acoustic one. Acoustically, you will get a little more low end from a tower. But this is offset with any decent sub. Towers cost more than bookshelves and most of the cost is due to the cabinet. Towers place the music at the appropriate vertical location, where with bookshelves you need a good place to put them, or stands. Placing bookshelevs *in* a bookshelf is not ideal; if you do, make sure the front edge extends a bit from the bookcase and there's some room on the back and sides for rear-ported models. Speakers with built-in powered subs are a gimick as far as I'm concerned. Two reasons: (1) the best location for a sub is usually not the best location for the mains. (Look up "sub crawl".), and (2) the subs they use for these speakers usually don't have the size drivers to make them solid performers. Ideally you want a 12-15 sub driver (depending on your room size of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks