What's new

Speaker glue??? (1 Viewer)

Mark Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Aside from speaker glue, if you can't find it around your area, what is a good replacement glue/adhesive....like find something at Home Depot?

Thanks,
Mark

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To do what with?

I have some 18" recone kits ordered from Fi Car Audio and the owner of the company suggested 20 minute epoxy from my local home improvement store. He said they use the 5 minute stuff to re-cone subs at SPL competitions.

-Robert

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, if you're talking surrounds, I expect it is standard epoxy. If you are talking cabinets, that would be basic wood glue.

tonys55

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
I don't know which kind of glue would be best. Might be best to call tech support at the manufacturer. If you choose wrong, you may pick something that breaks down the rubber compound of the foot. I'm sure you will want to remove the old glue before applying the new. Good luck.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That still isn't enough information to really help you. What rubber piece are you talking about?

-Robert

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The correct term is "surround". Parts Express used to sell the adhesive for this as a stand alone product. I can only find it in refoam kits like this. There are dozens of different types of foam surrounds so guessing how yours will react to epoxy would be futile. You can buy some and try it with the understanding it may eat the foam. Or you can call PE and order some of their glue for this type of operation. Your foam my be deteriorating anyway so a refoam may not be out of the question. Besides PE, there are a few Ebay sellers that have kits at half of PE's price.

-Robert

Phaseshift

Agent
Real Name
Phil
For the foam to paper bond, you want to use a latex or starch based adhesive. DO not use an epoxy or acrylic and certainly not a rubber based adhesive- these are likely to damage the foam surround.

If you can find a latex adhesive, use that- most importantly, let it cure in a well ventilated area for at least 24 to 36 hours before using the speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks