Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This was absolutely one of the worst South Park
episodes I have seen and I was highly disappointed
when I learned that there's a Part II next week.

...and this season was going so smashingly well!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I am starting to agree. When I thought back to the episode, the first half of the episode was great - it was just a 'fun' episode at that point. Then when Cartman got frozen, it (obviously) got way too out there for me.

Maybe I didn't get the Buck Rogers references, but the first half was so much fun that I was hoping for the rest of the episode to stay that way.

Also, does anyone think there was a little bit of 'rip off' from Futurama? Until the Otters showed up, it was seeming like they were doing a spoof of Futurama. The whole line about choosing Cartman, the "New New Hampshire" thing, the whole "All of your family and friends have been dead..." - it all sounded like Futurama.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Not really. The "everyone is dead" speech has been used frequently in many stories involving individuals taking a one-way trip to the future. Even the Buck Rogers series used it in the pilot by having Buck visit the cemetery where I believe his parents were buried.

As for Cartman being "the chosen one", we'll have to see what he's been "chosen" for to see if it's a blatant rip-off, which wouldn't be the first time for Trey and Matt. :)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Trey & Matt are "Futurama" fans. In one of the commentaries (probably either "Simpsons Did It" or the Professor Chaos episode that inspired it) they talk about how they respect "The Simpsons" but aren't familiar with it enough to realize when they're coming up with ideas that have already been done on "The Simpsons" and Matt Stone claims to have watched only a handful of episodes in their entirety.

Also, in the "Preschool" episode's commentary they talk about how bummed they were when they realized the "beep once for yes, twice for no" joke they came up with ("yes yes") had already been done but they can't remember where it had been done. They get close, they think it might have been on "The Simpsons" but they move on without attributing it to "Futurama".

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I'm positive that was intended. One of my favorite early gags on the show was in the Halloween episode with the "evil" Cartman and everytime they showed the two Cartmans together, they intentionally made it look like there was a misalignment in the center of the scene, where they had put two shots together for the low-tech "twin" effect.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

That was a spoof of Captain Pike from the Star Trek episode "The Menagerie." It predates both The Simpsons and Futurama by decades.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
"Yeah, I'm a monkey. Pound my monkey hole!"

Ok, so who was wondering if his "monkey hole" was referring to his mangina or his butthole? Ha! Ha! TWISTED!

This episode was hilarious. Gross in some ways, yes, but hilarious nonetheless. The sound Dawkins made as he slapped his face back and forth over Garrison's "breasts" was perfect! Oh my Science was that messed up!

The freak that is Garrison never fails to entertain.

I'm no stranger to being so excited to get or see something new that you fantasize about being able to freeze yourself until the time goes by (or sleep, coma, etc...). Seeing Cartman go through that was priceless.

Loved the sci-fi turn and homage to Buck Rogers and the new Battlestar Galactaca. Garrison as Six, good stuff.

I about split my sides at the "Know this Timechild, I will crush your skull like a clam on my tummy!" line.

So do you think Cartman will get back in a time machine? Maybe Platypus God will take the shape of a Flying Spaghetti Monster and take him back. Or maybe it will be a dream?

I wonder if they can top Garrison's "monkey sex" in part II.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
OK - the preview for tomorrow night's episode is up at the official site Link Removed. Last week's episode has been renamed to just "Go God Go" (notice that "Part II" is no longer part of the official title.).

Tomorrow night's episode is titled "Go God Go XII".

Original air Date: 2006-11-08
In the previous episode, Eric Cartman froze himself in an attempt to make his three-week wait for a Nintendo Wii pass quickly. A freak accident landed him over 500 years in the future -- and now he's stuck there. The future is a tumultuous place with warring factions, angry sea otters and no Nintendo. Will Cartman find a way back to his own time?

The accompanying picture is reminiscent (at least to me) of Planet Of The Apes...

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
The freezing under the snow reminded me more of "Planet Earth" and "Genesis II" that Buck Rogers until they made it painfully apparent.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Great stuff, indeed. No Wii for Cartman!

Cartman calling himself from the future and pissing himself off on both ends was classic.

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
The episode was okay - not their best work, IMHO, but you can't hit the high notes every week. So far, the year has been top-notch in my book, though.

Does anyone have a screenshot of the painting with Mrs. Garrison in it? That was LOL funny!

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Love that they took the opportunity to shows that hilariously awful vision of Garrison getting his/her "monkey hole" slammed by Dawkins.

"Give this monkey what she wants!" Too freaking funny.

Cartman telling Kyle he would "suck his balls dry" was pretty much a classic moment.

Science I love this show.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
VERY funny ep. in my opinion. Made me actually want to watch Buck Rogers again! and that's scary.
Nintendo wii.... so funny. Not Ps3 or Xbox 360, nintendo wii...

:)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm in here a week late with good reason. My DVR recorded
part 2 of South Park, but I hated last week's episode so much
that I put off watching this second part until the last minute.

I have to tell you.....I really enjoyed it!

I suppose part ONE was so lame because it was building up
to Part 2. This week's episode was quite good. I loved the
crank call machine!

I have said this so many times before but it bears repeat....
I have no idea how these guys come up with such brilliant
material week after week, but South Park in its 10th year
is still as fresh as its first.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

I agree, however I would dare to say that the show is even better now than it was 10 years ago. Ever since Season 5, the show has a taken a deep interest in current events and politics. This has provided the show with an endless source of fodder to keep it going strong. Hopefully seasons 11 and 12 will follow the same recipe they've developed over the last 5 seasons. Then again, I also hope that they sign on to do at least one more season after that.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Agreed! IIRC, it was the Elion Gonzalez (sp?) spoof that got the ball rolloing.

As is obvious, the fact that they can produce a show in (basically) less than a week, means they can keep up on current pardoies while the other cartoon shows have to wait months. This is great because they can take something topical, that might not be topical in a few months, and make a great show out of it. Again, not many other shows can do that so fast, which makes South park seem so fresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks