What's new

Sony DA5ES upgrade question (1 Viewer)

David_Merrow

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have a kenwood vr509 and was wondering if there would be much difference if I upgraded to the Sony DA5ES? I have JBL s38 in the front, S-Center, N24 for the surround, and a diy tempest sub.

thanks

David

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
David: In a word, YES!

I own a 509 for my bedroom system and I think it is a great little receiver. But the 5ES is in a different league. I have a friend who just received a 5ES 2 days ago. I went over last night to help with setup and to listen.

WOW! I was impressed! There are so many things it can do that I'm sure I can't remember them all. But the biggest thing is the sound. He has his setup as 6.1 but that alone doesn't account for the larger "presence" that the 5ES makes. Maybe it's a better decoder...or maybe it's the variable speaker to sub crossovers, I don't know. I just know that, IMO, it IS worth the extra $$$.

You should really try to see one if you can. My friend bought his thru oade.com and paid around $800 delivered.

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
I'll be upgrading from the vr309 here very shortly to the DA5ES. Just waiting on my damn tax return to get here. :angry:
Sean:D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
David, absolutely. The 'DA5ES will easily outdo a budget Kenwood receiver for both music and movies. The 'DA5ES has a much better power supply and better DACs for starters. There is no comparison between the two receivers. No question about it. I feel your speakers will render the difference between the two receivers obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks