What's new

Get a DA5ES, or wait for something better? (1 Viewer)

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
I'm planning on putting together my first home theater in the near future, and I've picked out most everything I want except for the reciever. For reference here are the audio components that I think I've settled on:
Sony CX235 jukebox CD player (already own)
Sony CE755 SACD player
Panasonic RP56 DVD player
JBL S38 mains
JBL S-Center
JBL S36 surrounds
AR S300 subwoofer
Monster Cable XP navajo white (for asthetic reasons)
I also plan on getting a DVD-Audio player at some point in the future. This is where the reciever question becomes touchy. With both an SACD and DVD-Audio player I'd need at least 2 sets of multichannel inputs. The Denon 5800 has 2 sets, but is way out of my price range. That leaves some of the Sony DB and ES recievers. Knowing this I've come to two primary options:
1) just get the DA5ES for about $1000 and live with it for the next half-dozen years
2) get the Denon 2802 for about $500-600 now, and then upgrade to something else in 9-12 months. Maybe the new Outlaw reciever will have dual multichannel inputs, for instance...
The first option is certainly the cheaper of the two, at least on paper. Although the second option has the benefit of leaving me a backup reciever to put somewhere else later.
What do you guys think? I have heard rumblings that the DA5ES might end up being a stopgap measure, and that Sony might come out with an improved version within the next year. I'd really hate to spend my budget today, only to find out that it's missing some import sound format or feature that every $400 reciever has in 4 months. On the other hand the DA5ES supposed to be upgradable, but who knows if it will ever be upgraded? Arghhh... too many variables....
Classic problem, I suppose...
Thanks in advance for any words of wisedom :)
--
Dave

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
I think the reason you're not getting any responses is because the 'DA5ES has just begun to hit the streets and there really aren't many user reviews of it yet. I'll probably be getting one in the next couple of months to replace my 3-year old 'DA50ES. My personal feeling is that if you wait for the next best thing to come out you'll be waiting forever. Get the best that you can afford right now (in your case, the 'DA5ES) and enjoy it! It should keep you happy for several years to come.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Greg,
My personal feeling is that if you wait for the next best thing to come out you'll be waiting forever.
I completely agree, I've been telling people the same about computer equipment for years :)
I've been planning this system for about 3 months now, so I'm at about my limit of waiting. The one loose end is the reciever, for everything else I think I've found just the right thing, but there isn't any reciever that gives me that warm fuzzy feeling at the moment. So I'm left with one of two compramises: get the best I can afford, with the knowledge that even though it isn't perfect for me I'm stuck with it for a few years, or get something just adequate with the plan of upgrading to nirvana in a year or less. Or maybe I'm just being too picky... Call it the pre-stickershock jitters :)
I'm aware that since the DA5ES is so new I won't get any definitive answers, but alittle nudge one way or the other would help to settle my nerves :)
Thanks for the input :)
--
Dave

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
nudge...............
I guess I'm the only one here with this receiver so far.
I can say that:
If you like the DA50ES,
you'll love the DA5ES..........
I've had the DA5ES in my system for about a week now.
Still smiling
:)
geo

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dave said:

What do you guys think? I have heard rumblings that the DA5ES might end up being a stopgap measure, and that Sony might come out with an improved version within the next year.
This will definitely happen. It always does. I am not saying that Sony already has plans to release a better receiver than the 'DA5ES in the next three months. Maybe they do, but maybe they don't. I haven't heard anything. However, within a year, Sony will definitely discontinue the 'DA5ES and replace it with a next-generation model. That's the way these things go. I bought a Sony STR-V444ES in September 2000, and it was replaced by the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES this year. All you can do is get the best currently available for your money. There will always be something better down the road.

I don't know if you are aware, but the 'DA5ES is available for significantly less than the $1500 retail price from authorized mail-order dealers. Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480) sells it for $985 delivered.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
I think how fast the DA5ES is replaced will depend on how fast new formats are introduced. If it wasn't for DPLII, DTS-ES, etc.......... the DA5ES would probably not even exist. New formats and technology will pretty much dictate how fast new units are replaced with newer versions.

Regards,

geo

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Geo,

Greetings. How are you? Since you've had several receivers in your system, can you comment how the Sony DA5ES compares to the Denon 4802 and Onkyo 989 as a prepro? I am not concerned with features such as two 5.1 inputs, stereo analog bypass...just dd, dts, and dpl2 processing. And maybe how much flexible bass mgmt vs the fixed 80hz affects your system (if at all).

Ricky

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Geo,
I think how fast the DA5ES is replaced will depend on how fast new formats are introduced. If it wasn't for DPLII, DTS-ES, etc.......... the DA5ES would probably not even exist. New formats and technology will pretty much dictate how fast new units are replaced with newer versions.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured... So that begs the question, any hint of new formats or must-have processing around the corner? Does the DA5ES handle all currently available formats? My research seems to indicate that it does, but I'd like to be sure of that.
-- Dave

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Keith,
I don't know if you are aware, but the 'DA5ES is available for significantly less than the $1500 retail price from authorized mail-order dealers. Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480) sells it for $985 delivered.
I had read that J&R would give it away for about $1000, but the deal from Oade is even better. Especially since they won't charge me $80 in taxes (why do all the cheap places have to be in NYC?)
Thanks for the heads up, definately useful info :)
-- Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks