Get a DA5ES, or wait for something better?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_Rivshin, Dec 17, 2001.

1. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

I'm planning on putting together my first home theater in the near future, and I've picked out most everything I want except for the reciever. For reference here are the audio components that I think I've settled on:
    Sony CX235 jukebox CD player (already own)
    Sony CE755 SACD player
    Panasonic RP56 DVD player
    JBL S38 mains
    JBL S-Center
    JBL S36 surrounds
    AR S300 subwoofer
    Monster Cable XP navajo white (for asthetic reasons)
    I also plan on getting a DVD-Audio player at some point in the future. This is where the reciever question becomes touchy. With both an SACD and DVD-Audio player I'd need at least 2 sets of multichannel inputs. The Denon 5800 has 2 sets, but is way out of my price range. That leaves some of the Sony DB and ES recievers. Knowing this I've come to two primary options:
    1) just get the DA5ES for about $1000 and live with it for the next half-dozen years
    2) get the Denon 2802 for about $500-600 now, and then upgrade to something else in 9-12 months. Maybe the new Outlaw reciever will have dual multichannel inputs, for instance...
    The first option is certainly the cheaper of the two, at least on paper. Although the second option has the benefit of leaving me a backup reciever to put somewhere else later.
    What do you guys think? I have heard rumblings that the DA5ES might end up being a stopgap measure, and that Sony might come out with an improved version within the next year. I'd really hate to spend my budget today, only to find out that it's missing some import sound format or feature that every $400 reciever has in 4 months. On the other hand the DA5ES supposed to be upgradable, but who knows if it will ever be upgraded? Arghhh... too many variables....
    Classic problem, I suppose...
    Thanks in advance for any words of wisedom [​IMG]
    --
    Dave

2. David_Rivshin

^Bump^

Geez, only took a few hours to move to the second page where noone will see it...

3. Greg Schwabacher

Greg Schwabacher Stunt Coordinator

I think the reason you're not getting any responses is because the 'DA5ES has just begun to hit the streets and there really aren't many user reviews of it yet. I'll probably be getting one in the next couple of months to replace my 3-year old 'DA50ES. My personal feeling is that if you wait for the next best thing to come out you'll be waiting forever. Get the best that you can afford right now (in your case, the 'DA5ES) and enjoy it! It should keep you happy for several years to come.

4. David_Rivshin

Greg,

5. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

nudge...............
    I guess I'm the only one here with this receiver so far.
    I can say that:
    If you like the DA50ES,
    you'll love the DA5ES..........
    I've had the DA5ES in my system for about a week now.
    Still smiling
    [​IMG]
    geo

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dave said:

7. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

I think how fast the DA5ES is replaced will depend on how fast new formats are introduced. If it wasn't for DPLII, DTS-ES, etc.......... the DA5ES would probably not even exist. New formats and technology will pretty much dictate how fast new units are replaced with newer versions.

Regards,

geo

8. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Geo,

Greetings. How are you? Since you've had several receivers in your system, can you comment how the Sony DA5ES compares to the Denon 4802 and Onkyo 989 as a prepro? I am not concerned with features such as two 5.1 inputs, stereo analog bypass...just dd, dts, and dpl2 processing. And maybe how much flexible bass mgmt vs the fixed 80hz affects your system (if at all).

Ricky

9. David_Rivshin

Geo,

10. David_Rivshin

Keith,

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

No problem, David. Glad to help.