What's new

Assistance Requested with Onkyo Receiver (1 Viewer)

TheGame9377

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
Hello, all. I'm a new member here. I recently purchased a home with a dedicated theater room, and I've been upgrading different pieces of equipment to get it where I want it. I just installed a new receiver yesterday, and I'm having some trouble with getting audio from the Blu-Ray player. I'm hoping I can get some help from those more knowledgeable than I.

Equipment:
  • Sony BDP-S380 Blu-Ray player (inherited with the theater room, but will likely be replacing this next)
  • Onkyo TX-RZ820 receiver (just installed this yesterday, replacing an Onkyo TX-NR609 that was inherited with the theater room, as I wanted 4K)
  • Optoma UHD65 4K projector (installed ~2 weeks ago, replacing a ~10 year old no-name projector that was inherited with the theater room)
  • Infinity 7.1 in-wall surround speakers: Center, Front left, Front Right, Front sub, Surround Left, Surround Right, Rear Left, Rear Right (speaker models unknown)
Here's my issue:

The Sony Blu-Ray player was working fine with the previous TX-NR609 receiver. When I switched to the new receiver, the Blu-Ray player is hooked up to the same inputs as on the previous receiver (BD/DVD HDMI in, HDMI Main Out to the projector), but I only get video, no audio.

Playing with the audio settings of the receiver, there is a setting for "HDMI Out." It has three options:
  • "Main+Sub" (default): Gives me video, but no audio
  • "Main" only: Gives me video, but no audio
  • "Sub" only: Gives me audio, but no video

Testing around with different connections and devices, the following may be helpful in diagnosing the issues:
  • I've tried 3 different HDMI cords to connect the Blu-Ray player to the receiver's BD/DVD HDMI input, and get the same result each time
  • When I plug a different device (i.e. Roku, laptop, Xbox) into the same BD/DVD HDMI input, I do get both video and audio
  • When I plug the Blu-Ray player directly into another TV in another room, I do get both video and audio
This leads me to think it's an issue with the audio settings on either the Blu-Ray player or the Receiver, but after jiggering with them extensively and searching the web/forum all night, I can't seem to find the solution.

Is anyone able to help me out with trouble-shooting? I'm sure I'm missing something simple, as I'm new to the home theater game and setting up receivers.

Thanks in advance. Your help is greatly appreciated!

TheGame9377

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
Update:

After playing around with the settings some more, I've solved this. Posting the solution here in case anyone has a similar problem in the future and finds this thread.

The old receiver was just a 1 HDMI out. The new receiver has 2 HDMI outs: a Main and a Sub. The issue was that the HDMI Out audio setting on the new receiver was set by default to "Main + Sub" on the HDMI Out 1, and "Main" on the HDMI Out 2. I had to change the setting for HDMI Out 2 to "Sub," and then, tada!, both video and audio feeding from the Blu-Ray player through the new receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread