What's new

Sony DA5ES firmware question (1 Viewer)

DeanChat

Auditioning
I have read that the latest version (v1.4) of the firmware in the DA5ES receiver fixes some known bugs. How does one know what version a receiver has without opening the box? Is there a build date or other way of telling the firmware version without opening the box, firing up the receiver and spinning the knob behind the drop-down door? As an aside, any word on upgrads via the RS-232 port?

Thanks!
Dean

Michael_T

Second Unit
I have version 1.3 of the DA5ES firmware.

What bugs does the 1.4 version specifically fix?

It appears that the Sony website doesn't have any upgrade for the DA5ES listed to version 1.4.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I have 1,3 too.
Dean, just after you turn your receiver on, open the front door and turn the small knob that cycles through things(yeah im not in front of it) to the left all the way and it will tell you what version.

Jon W (NoVA)

Stunt Coordinator
Well, there was one guy claiming that the DA5ES didn't handle bass correctly with it's DVD-A 5.1 input. So I tested the output on my 1.4 DA5ES and saw no difference in the output level of the .1 from any of the 5 outputs, so he declared it was obviously a bug fix cause his two DA5's were running 1.3.

But I seriously doubt that conclusion. I find it much more likely that his DVD player was failing to decode the bass channel correctly and wasn't dealing with bass management, nor applying the +10dB to the .1 channel like it's supposed to.

I've heard nothing whatsoever about the differences in the revs, so if you have any hard info, let us know.

DeanChat

Auditioning
No, I don't have any hard info. I did a search here on HTF for DA5ES and read all that I could. A number of threads mentioned something about an LFE level problem with the 5.1/7.1 multichannel analog inputs. This is of interest to me as I have an SACD player. Noone with the newest firmware (v1.4) have reported this problem. I see that Jon (above) believes the "problem" may be with other system components and not the DA5ES.

Anyway, I try to buy equipment that has the latest (or close to the latest) firmware because the manufacturers surely don't change the it for fun. So, even if the LFE level problem does not exist I am still interested in learning of a way to tell the firmware revision of one of these receivers without actually opening the box and firing it up.

Thanks!
Dean

Jon W (NoVA)

Stunt Coordinator
*shrugs*
I bought mine from Oade Brothers and it shipped with 1.4. Buy new stock from a high volume dealer and you're more likely to get the latest firmware.
As for the "5.1 issue" I've seen a thread on AVS and a thread in this forum started by the guy who made the AVS one. If there's someone else talking about it, please point me to the thread. I follow the DA5 news pretty closely on this forum. ;)

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
Well add me to the list of 5ES owners, I will be ordering one from Oade Brothers as soon as they get more in stock. I will be using this unit as a pre/pro in the future like others have done. I canceled a Pio 47TX that was taking too long (almost 3 months now) to get, please tell me that I did the right thing and that this receiver is worth it. If it is half as good as every body says it is then it will be a steal at $780.00 shipped.

WilliamS

Agent
So I've just upgraded the firmware and now as I go to SETUP, the text for CENTER and BACK reads NO in a grey font, and I can't select it to say YES.

What am I doing wrong?

JackS

Supporting Actor
Juan- You actually found a 5ES? I think several people have been looking for one and assumed most had given up. Oade will probably have a spate of calls on this. Enjoy the 5ES. Jack

JackS

Supporting Actor
William- It sounds like you may be in the analog function. Push the button on the front of the receiver Digital/Analog to bring back the center and rears. I don't own this receiver so if this wasn't the problem, someone else will help you. Best of luck , Jack

WilliamS

Agent
well i tinkered with the input and audio split buttons, and I have my optical set as priority, but nothing has changed.

either way, thanks for the suggestion.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Try a reset then select AFD. This will return the receiver to all factory defaults. If the firmware was successfully installed, you should now be back in business.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I was hoping a few 5Es owners might have an idea. There's a store here in town that has a "floor model" 5es still on the shelf. It would have a full warranty. They still want $675 for it. I have been thinking that I want the 4ES, but if I can get a good deal on the 5es, it'd be a good buy. What do you guys think is a good price for a floor model/demo 5es? Keep in mind you can basically buy a 4es for around $600.

Thanks,
Aaron

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
Just curious:
I have two different PDF owner's manuals for the 5ES, and except for a very few differences, they are the same. The biggest difference is the equalizer. In one manual, the equalizer is described as having only Bass and Treble bands for all channels. In the other manual, the front and centre channels have a Mid band in addition to the Bass and Treble. Could you 5ES owners let everyone know whether you have a Mid band in the EQ, and what firmware version you are running (especially if you do not have the Mid band)? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks