What's new

Sony DA4ES (1 Viewer)

BrunoB

Auditioning
I found a neat trick on my 4ES. Rotate the jog dial while playing a DVD: it gives the bitstrream data rate, e.g 400 Kps for Dolby Digital or 1536 kps for some DTS movies.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I found a neat trick on my 4ES. Rotate the jog dial while playing a DVD: it gives the bitstrream data rate, e.g 400 Kps for Dolby Digital or 1536 kps for some DTS movies.
The firmware revision is at the very end of that data.

Seth

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
I was reading the manual and it talks about 2 way remote control system. What is that used for?
Some Sony receivers, such as last year's 5ES, and most of the ES receivers in the last few years previous, included a 2-way remote control system. The remote could receive signals from the receiver in addtion to sending commands. This 2-way communication was used to provide certain types of feedback to the remote, including disc and track names of the song playing in a Sony CD player, names of radio stations, names of the inputs, etc. It was a very slick system, and some people loved it; others hated it. There was a delay in using most commands from the remote, because the remote and receiver had to communicate back and forth. It is becoming less common now, and now only the 7ES (in the ES line) has a 2-way remote. I'm not sure, but the volume setting may have been displayed on the remote.

I will be using a 2-way touchscreen remote (RM-TP504) from a slightly older reciever with my 4ES. My receiver and all other components are located at the back of the room, so I can't see their displays at all. The only issue with an older remote like this is that it does not have controls for certain newer functions, like 6.1 decoding and DPL-II and dts NEO:6. Luckily, this one has learning capabilities.

Although the 4ES has the capability of using a 2-way remote, Sony included a standard 1-way remote. This is likely for two reasons: 1. cost savings, and 2. due to negative feedback from some of the users of 2-ways in the past.

Thomas Smailus

Stunt Coordinator
As noted by others, the 4ES, like the 7ES seem to indicate 2 way remote capability. If indeed the 4ES is ready to work with a 2-way remote, thats great, as it would not require a firmware hack if one wanted to add that later.

The primary differences, on the outside, between the 7ES and the 4ES is the 3rd room audio only preamp outputs and trigger and the remotes. The 2way remote that comes with the 7ES, depending on scale, really looks like a tablet PC - it even comes with a stylus, and if it is a pencil sized stylus, then it is a lap device. It also comes with a 2nd room remote (I wonder if that is RF and if it would also work with the 4ES). Given the price difference betwen the 4ES and 7ES, it seems that this giant 2way remote must cost on the order of $500 for that remote alone - and I'm wondering if that is worth it.

Thus its good to hear the 4ES seems to have 2way remote support - now we only need to wait on the verdict of the 7ES's remote and/or new remote developments and we can upgrade later if needed.

The benefits of the 2way remote - of course, is precisely that the reciever signals back to the remote, which displays data. Thus, no matter where your stack is (assuming its all RF communication) - you can read all the detail on your remote screen. Now if there were only a way to channel other network data into the remote as well, such as caller ID information, video camera stills, etc. Then I'd pay $500 for a remote!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks