What's new

Pre Out speaker cable requirements (1 Viewer)

FlyingJim

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Ott
I am adding an amplifier to the current HT system. Pre-Outs for the amp are RCA plugs. Current speak wires at high quality wires, bared and plugged into the receiver catches (don't know the real name). Is there a way to adapt the current speaker wires that will now need connected at the pre-out RCA female plugs? Is there a way to put male RCA ends on the current wires? Thanks for any help....

Current System is:

Sony STR-DA4ES

Fronts - Polk LSi15

Surround Rears - LSi15

Center - LSiC

JVC DVD/CD Player

Soon to arrive Amp - Emotiva XPA-5

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You don't use speaker wire to hook a receiver to an amplifier. You need to use audio cables like these. As you can see, they aren't very expensive. The speaker wires go between the amplifier and your speakers.

"plugged into the receiver catches (don't know the real name)"

Usually they are calles speaker terminals. Some are also known as 5 way banana terminals.

FlyingJim

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Ott
Gene, thanks for the help. I have not thought this out. So, I will connect the receiver and amp via RCA connectors, and then the speaker wires will then connect as they currently do on the receiver via terminals. Thanks so much. I will let the forum know of the improvement upon adding the amp. The Sony STR-DA4ES has performed admirably for 7 years. In stereo with music sound is good, not great. Spreading the marginal power between all 5 non amped speakers (forgot to mention the Polk PAW404 sub in earlier post) results in a bit of hollow, empty sound. The sub helps but there is little fullness to good music. I listen to all kinds of music and look forward to an improvement. The HT settings are adequate for TV and movies, but music is lacking... Thanks again

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
From what little I know about Polk LSi15's they are 4 ohm and do require a lot of power to drive them properly. I doubt your Sony ES receiver was really up to the task of powering 4 of them, and the center channel. Adding a quality amplifier should help a lot. If you have any concerns about how to hook the Emotiva amp to your system, come back here and ask us or contact Emotiva directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks