What's new

passive high-pass crossover for stereo DAC/amp lacking internal crossover? (1 Viewer)

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
Hey guys, I'm looking at options for my PC speaker setup and am wondering if something like this Parts Express crossover would do what I'm wanting...

Currently the system is:

Klipsch Powergate DAC/amp with optical audio coming from the motherboard's built in Realtek chipset
pair of HSU HB-1 MK2 bookshelf 6.5" speakers on stands to have the tweeters at seated ear height
sharing one of the home theater HSU VTF-15H mk2 subs

Anyway, I've discovered that the Powergate does not have any way to set a crossover for its driven speakers and confirmed that indeed they receive the full range signal. I'm going to buy a dedicated subwoofer for them this weekend (looking at an SVS SB-3000) as the Klipsch has a dedicated subwoofer pre-out, but am wanting some way to filter out low frequencies from the pair of bookshelf speakers.

The HSU bookshelves I currently have, as well as the SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers I'm considering upgrading to are both rated at 8 Ohms.

Would something like this 80 Hz high pass 8 Ohm crossover wired in line between the DAC/amp and speakers do what I'm wanting? https://www.parts-express.com/80-Hz-High-Pass-8-Ohm-Crossover-266-458

that way I could make sure there's no overlap between the bookshelves and the sub, though if this wouldn't work as desired I guess my only other option would be to pick up basically an AVR right?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That should work. You probably want to put it in some type of enclosure, and the actual crossover will vary a bit depending on the exact impedance of the speaker at the crossover frequency. You can still match that since any sub you're considering will probably have a continuously variable low pass filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks