Sony DA4ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Perry_C, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Perry_C

Perry_C Extra

Hello,

Well I got my Sony receiver from UPS today. I set it up and did compare it to the H/K 520. I have only played with the Sony for about a few hours. However, it to me sounds better. The sound is a little more detailed and full in both a home theater and music environment. I will post more later. But the only thing I am disappointed from the Sony is the lack of on-screen display showing volume and input device (Unless I am missing something?) The H/K did have a better on-screen display.

So I think what I am just wondering is maybe I have something setup wrong and there is a way to turn on the volume display on the screen?

Well anyway, I will report more later.

2. tom richard

tom richard Extra

Just got my 4es yesterday night and i did a quick setup. Could not figure out on screen display. I was not happy. Seems like i am expected to tweak/setup the system while standing in front on the receiver(No or little OSD info on my TV set). Hope i ll have more time to figure it out tonight. Would no make sense to have so little functionality with the OSD. The remote is cute but not really workable.

3. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Agent

I had to set up my 4ES w/o the on screen display and it was a real PITA! When I was finally able to get a display that I could use I was very pleased to find out how comprehensive the OSD really was. I find it makes set-up a snap and is very logical.

As for the remote, it is somewhat limited and takes a bit of time to get it figured out but, I find that it does a credible job. In addition, since my DVD and display are Sony, it gives me all the functionality that I need to run the entire system. That said, you really do need to keep the dedicated remotes for the other components around so that you can get to all of the functions that you need. But, this is the same situation in my main system so I'm used to it.

4. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

I agree that the remote is really easy to use and logical once you get used to it. I like it better than the touchscreen remotes because I can more easily navigate by feel (one handed).

The only major negative about OSD I have noticed is it seems that the volume does not (can not?) appear on the screen when you change the volume while watching programming. Am I correct in this? I don't have the best vision at times and the receiver is quite a distance away. So sometimes it is quite hard to read the volume setting on the receiver! If anyone has any insight into this I would be glad to hear it!

Matthew

5. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

Matthew, I can't comment on whether you can get OSD of volume, as I don't have my 4ES yet (waiting for the next credit card billing cycle to begin :).

Remember back when all you had was that little red LED on the dial, if that? I usually don't worry about what the setting actually is; I just bump it up and down as needed. Usually before playing a CD, I'll hold the volume-down button for a few seconds, just to make sure that it doesn't start out too loud, then I adjust up, by ear, not by actual value. (My receiver is at the back of the room, facing forward, so I can see it at all from the seating position).

You can get a very comprehensive OSD for setup. You do not have to stand in front of the receiver or squint to see the little display on the front. Read the manual - this is a very complex machine and there is more useful information in there than you could imagine.

6. Perry_C

Perry_C Extra

Well hmmmm,

Anyone know if the volume can be viewed on the screen? Maybe since it has that upgrade port this feature could be added later if it does not have that ability to do it now?

7. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Agent

I use the component inputs on my display so, even if there was an OSD volume display I wouldn't see it which is the way I prefer it. I wouldn't want the screen flashing up that information during the middle of a movie. I do have the S-video plumbed into the display only for setup purposes.

8. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

9. AaronWT

AaronWT Agent

That's correct. I have the 4ES and you can't view the voulme level on screen. I don't see why you would need it.

10. MatthewK

For people who cannot see what the volume is set at on the receiver.... [​IMG]
    Maybe it is just me but sometimes at the end of the day my eyes don't focus too well on the text display from 15' away late at night... and isn't two way so I don't know what volume it is set at... so providing an option of overlaying a display of the current volume onscreen (when you change volume for example) I would find very useful.
    But back to the topic at hand.... I agree with the other posts about the OSD for Setup in that I think it is quite easy to use and the 4ES is very configurable.
    The only difficulty I had in the OSD was figuring out the layout in the EQ menu. I am used to having only one EQ per channel and having the EQ broke up into multiple channels per section was a little non-intuitive for me at first.
    Overall very happy with my 4ES! [​IMG]
    Matthew

11. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Agent

12. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

How is the sound, people?

13. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Agent

Craig,
    I find the sound to be quite enjoyable and the processing is first rate as well but, as always, YMMV. [​IMG]

14. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Why have sound level on screen? It would only serve as an annoyance if anything. Sound level should be determined by ear if it is comfortable or not. I don't see the lack of sound level display as a drawback at all.

15. AaronWT

AaronWT Agent

I agree.

16. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

How often do you guys use your OSD. I just use it to recalibrate or sometimes to try other surround modes. I like to either leave what i'm watching on, or when I am listening to music leave to tube off. If listening to SACD, all video circuitry is off anyway. I think there are more important reasons for potential upgrades (ie.. keeping DPLII MOVIE vs. MUSIC per input chosen).

17. MatthewK

It is clear to see many would not want the display of the volume and input source displayed on the TV. [​IMG]
    But that is what would be great about including it and giving the users the option to use it or not. I agree that it may be annoying to have it if in your situation the receiver is easily visible / near to you.
    I rarely use the OSD other than when re-calibrating the system.
    Matthew

18. tom richard

tom richard Extra

Still did not find time to play with my 4ES. Should i be capable of running all the setups(speakers, sound fields tweaks, etc) using the crappy remote with proper OSD? I calibrated (with RS sound meter) by going back and forth to the receiver. Not ideal. I was in a rush as my little boy wanted to watch Monster's Inc(What a fun movie...).

Maybe i'll get to enjoy the remote more if i know i can do everything while being seated.

19. AaronWT

AaronWT Agent

I never use the OSD. Most of what I watch is through the component inputs from the receiver or the 2nd one on the TV. So the OSD will not be displayed anyway. It would be nice to use it if it worked on the component inputs and was also transparent.

20. Perry_C

Perry_C Extra

I think a really kewl idea would be instead of the OSD (which I got over that one) have the remote show the volume setting or for that matter anything that is displayed on the LCD on the receiver. Also I have a question. I was reading the manual and it talks about 2 way remote control system. What is that used for?