What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The wonderful era of Nick and Nora Charles comes to a fitting close in Edward Buzzell’s Song of the Thin Man, not the best film in the series but one which upholds the quality that was otherwise unmatched in other studios’ long-running movie mysteries.

Song of the Thin Man (1947)

Released: 01 Sep 1947
Rated: Not Rated
Runtime: 86 min

Director: Edward Buzzell
Genre: Comedy, Crime, Musical

Cast: William Powell, Myrna Loy, Keenan Wynn
Writer(s): Steve Fisher, Nat Perrin, James O'Hanlon

Plot: Nick and Nora Charles are on a gambling boat when someone is murdered. The two main suspects are at large and come to Nick for help. Nick turns them into the police but then sets out to figure out the mystery.

IMDB rating: 7.0
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information...

Continue reading...

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Great review Matt (and I agree with you, Mark!)

The film looks stupendous and, truth be told, (I know I'm in the minority here) I've gotten a little more enoyment out of this entry over the years than a few of those that came before it (I'm the one who finds SHADOW mostly unmemorable and GOES HOME to be be ALMOST ruined by the degradation of Nora's character into silly buffoonery.)

A VERY satisfying release, IMO.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Now that all of the Thin Man movie series has been released indivigually, can a box set be far off? I'd much rather but the BD box set than have to purchase them one at a time? Fingers crossed!!!

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Now that all of the Thin Man movie series has been released indivigually, can a box set be far off? I'd much rather but the BD box set than have to purchase them one at a time? Fingers crossed!!!
If my own observations about WAC and Blu-ray box sets are correct, then I would say that it is very likely that there will NOT be a box set (or box sets) for this series, so I would recommend going with the individual releases.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think the ship for a boxset has passed as WAC is even having trouble releasing individual titles as they try to fill up the pipeline for BD releases.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Yes box sets from WAC have been extremely rare. I don't see them doing one for the Thin Man series.
Personally, I wouldn't even mind them going back and releasing a box after the fact, a la Vinegar Syndrom's Rudy Ray Moore 'set,' but they seem to be heading in a completely different direction, much like how Criterion has basically phased out their Eclipse sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks