What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
MGM musicals don’t come much lighter and breezier than Edward Buzzell’s Neptune’s Daughter, Esther Williams’ second starring role of 1949, and with some tuneful Frank Loesser songs and gorgeous Technicolor in tow, she’s in very fine company indeed.

Neptune's Daughter (1949)

Released: 01 Jun 1949
Rated: Not Rated
Runtime: 95 min

Director: Edward Buzzell
Genre: Comedy, Musical, Romance

Cast: Esther Williams, Red Skelton, Ricardo Montalban
Writer(s): Dorothy Kingsley, Ray Singer, Dick Chevillat

Plot: A swimsuit fashion designer is determined to protect her scatterbrained sister from a South American heartbreaker, but a case of mistaken identity complicates matters.

IMDB rating: 6.4
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio:...

Continue reading...

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
breathtakingly colorful with perfect registration and gorgeous hues.

You can say THAT again!! Esther's fuchsia bathing suit made my eyes bleed (and they were happy to do so!)

Great review of a great disc, Matt. While it doesn't quite leap off the screen like the blu-ray of Take Me Out to the Ballgame (from the same year) did, it's mighty mighty close and I couldn't be more satisfied with it.

And such a fun time!

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Aren't these films 17.99 by now? At 24.49 on Amazon this is a surprise to me.
Amazon pricing is affected by customer demand and other retailers pricing. I'm thinking the sales figures on this particular title is doing well. Be patient and just wait for the demand to drop which will also cause a price reduction.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Esther only gets one big number at the end and it's far too short. Disappointing. You get a lot of Red Skelton and unfortunately I'm not as enamored of him as when I was a boy. Though the hoary getting on a horse routine is terrific. A fair amount of Xavier Cougat which is always a good thing. Mel Blanc who would never get away with this today is also very funny.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
As soon as you said Showgirl was down to 14.99. I grabbed it. Next day it was 17.49. The logarithms are odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks