1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

SMILEBOX

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by trajan007, May 13, 2017.

1. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Screenwriter
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    I love that 2001 preview. I know purists object, but I would love to have the ability to watch widescreen films at home in Smilebox; maybe as a function of the receiver, just like different surround modes - there could be CinemaScope mode, Cinerama mode, etc. If I had the cash, I would install a curved screen in my home theater, but that is an expensive proposition. The look of the curved screen is so much a part of my memory of going to see those films that Smilebox really "brings it home" (for me at least).

Interdimensional likes this.
  2. john a hunter

john a hunter Screenwriter

Must say I do like the look of the smilebox trailer ,although heresy it may be:)
    And what a fantastic trailer!!!

KPmusmag likes this.
  3. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    I guess the people who went to see it at the Glendale Cinerama theatre didn't mine the distortion as it played for 127 weeks!
    [​IMG]

KPmusmag likes this.
  4. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Screenwriter
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    I saw 2001 in 70mm at the Seattle Cinerama last September and it was a great experience.

5. DP 70

DP 70 Screenwriter

Derek
    The D-150 screens look fantastic that's why I feel so sad when I go past the old site for the Odeon Marble Arch every day.
    I was so lucky to have seen Star Wars there in D-150 in 1978.

6. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    Really enjoyed the trailer, thanks. It looked like 3-D in places. 2001 always a favourite of mine, a masterpiece of cinema.

7. john a hunter

john a hunter Screenwriter

Several times I hope Derek. I did!!!
    I was also lucky enough to see Empire Strikes Back at the Egyptian in Hollywood.
    No mention of D-150 but the box was at the back of the auditorium after the theatre was split up.
    I peered in and low and behold that Super Curvulon lens was in place . Quite distinctive.

8. bdzmusicprod

bdzmusicprod Auditioning

Brian Zachel
    Personally, I would love to see the 70mm films originally branded as Cinerama made available in SmileBox format. I know that die hard purist will argue against this and that is fine. From a historical viewpoint, 70mm Cinerama did exist and to avoid giving any historical recognition is sad. I know that it was not "Cinerama" but at the time they rebranded it to get away from the cumbersome and expensive three camera system. I have seen many 70mm Ultra Panavision, Super Panavision, Todd-AO and 70mm blow ups on a curved Cinerama screen and it was not bad. Consumers should be given a choice at least for historical sake. I wonder if any new format may come out with a wide curved screen to give audiences something they cannot get at home given the advancement in technology?

usrunnr and Douglas R like this.
  9. bigshot

bigshot Cinematographer

Stephen
    You got used to it. I saw 2001 at the Cinerama Dome and it made no different of an impression on me than seeing it on a flat screen in Westwood.

10. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

I distinctly remember seeing what you described in your first paragraph with regard to masking, John, when I saw Mad World at the Coliseum.

john a hunter likes this.
  11. SteveJKo

SteveJKo Second Unit

I saw many a film in my local D-150 house, both 35mm (flat as well as scope) and 70mm. Everything always looked fantastic, but 70mm was most impressive. And scenes like the attack on the Death Star at the end of Return Of The Jedi actually felt like Cinerama. That curved screen gave me a sense of immersion and 3D (without actually being in 3D) that I've never had again. Imax doesn't even come close.

Info on my long lost D-150 house here: http://incinerama.com/b071767.htm

12. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    I'd love to see a Smilebox version of Ben-Hur & Mutiny On The Bounty ('62). I know they weren't filmed in Cinerama, but they are a narrow strip across the screen & with a bit of digital stretching & mucking about with the picture, it could work, just for fun (as an extra). I know it won't happen, the purists would be up in arms, storming the castle with their flaming torches :)

Dee Zee likes this.
  13. Interdimensional

Interdimensional Second Unit

Ed
    I would welcome it, were it to be included on tvs or projectors as an additional option among the various aspect ratio adjustments you can make. A 3DTV or projector would be also be able to simulate a deeply curved screen effect, and I'd welcome such a feature even if I almost never used it.

Have you ever seen dome Imax? It's been far too long since my last experience, but I remember that being just spectacular. Felt like the earth was moving when they'd pan across on that massive dome.

14. SteveJKo

SteveJKo Second Unit

Yes, once. But they were showing an Imax film (not Omnimax) on it. I was not impressed. Unfortunately I never had the chance to experience an actual Omnimax film on that screen.

Yes, same effect as the Death Star attack on the D-150 screen.

Interdimensional likes this.
  15. Strohmaier

Strohmaier Stunt Coordinator

David Strohmaier
    FYI - I supervised & screened a digital DCP Smilebox roadshow version of "Grand Prix" at the Cinerama Dome at last April's TCM Classic Film festival. It looked wonderful, fit the screen perfectly and was very immersive, just like when it played the Dome back in 1966. The movie came alive on the curved screen!

Dee Zee, Ken Koc, Stephen PI and 2 others like this.
  16. trajan007

trajan007 Second Unit

Larry C Bender
    Lets have the bluray version.

17. Strohmaier

Strohmaier Stunt Coordinator

David Strohmaier
    probably not gonna happen commercially.

We have a special way to do this process on the Bradford and the Cinerama Dome screens to re create the original 70mm Cinerama (ultra or super) experience. Maybe in the future we might try a D-150 or a Todd AO version?
    A Trade secret.

PMF and trajan007 like this.
  18. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    I thought some of you might find this interesting. They really did promote this as being true Cinerama without the dividing lines.

newcinerama060763.

ultracinerama.

Interesting that they call it ULTRA - CINERAMA, similar to the actual system of Ultra Panavision used for It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

PMF likes this.
  19. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    From another thread.

[​IMG]

PMF, JQuintana and Brian Kidd like this.
  20. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    That is also the way I saw it on Broadway in 1966. On my 65" OLED, the Blu-ray looks pretty awesome when sitting up close to my display, but I do remember having to get up from my near-front-center seat several times at the Warner Cinerama because I was experiencing motion sickness. The Blu-ray reminds me that GRAND PRIX is a really pedestrian movie with a terrible script, mostly poor performances, crappy dubbing (of Toshiro Mifune in particular) and extreme overlength, probably one of John Frankenheimer's dumbest productions. The 30 minutes or so of actual POV racing are remarkable, though, and really the only reason to sit this out. I do not think a Smilebox video presentation would help it that much.