What's new

Show us your camera's best pix! (2 Viewers)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Pittsburgh Raceway Park [Action Photography]

Both of the above photos were taken at PRP using my 100/300
F4.0 EX lens in Aperture Priority. Using a Manfrotto Carbon-1
Monopod and a 3030 Pan/Tilt Head.

The Windmill [Still Life]

My Grand Father's Wind Mill in his front yard. The day was
beautiful and the light was in the right place. I thought
the very shallow DOF made this shot as did the composition.
I try to get the composition "right" in the camera rather
than crop after the fact. The way the Sigma SD10 viewfinder
works with the "sports Mask" it really aids in composition
I feel.

Diamonds Are Forever [Still Life]

This photo was shot on my makeshift backdrop in my computer
room. I used 400 watt bounced halogen lighting and some
subtle spot lighting on the diamond in the glass. Lens used
was my 24/70mm EX F2.8

Do Do Do Do BatMan!

Miniature car model shot using Wireless TTL Flash on my
make shift backdrop with my 24-70mm EX F2.8 lens.

Everything Old Is New, Again!

This photo was taken for the Sigma Group's "World Together,
Worl Apart" challenge. It was shot off my Manfrotto 3221
Tripod with my 24-70mm F2.8 EX Lens on a beautiful sunny
day. This bridge was worthy of the submission it is one of
the few remaining, functional covered bridges in the U.S.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett

Both of the above photos were taken at PRP using my 100/300
F4.0 EX lens in Aperture Priority. Using a Manfrotto Carbon-1
Monopod and a 3030 Pan/Tilt Head.

The Windmill [Still Life]

My Grand Father's Wind Mill in his front yard. The day was
beautiful and the light was in the right place. I thought
the very shallow DOF made this shot as did the composition.
I try to get the composition "right" in the camera rather
than crop after the fact. The way the Sigma SD10 viewfinder
works with the "sports Mask" it really aids in composition
I feel.

Diamonds Are Forever [Still Life]

This photo was shot on my makeshift backdrop in my computer
room. I used 400 watt bounced halogen lighting and some
subtle spot lighting on the diamond in the glass. Lens used
was my 24/70mm EX F2.8

Do Do Do Do BatMan!

Miniature car model shot using Wireless TTL Flash on my
make shift backdrop with my 24-70mm EX F2.8 lens.

Everything Old Is New, Again!

This photo was taken for the Sigma Group's "World Together,
Worl Apart" challenge. It was shot off my Manfrotto 3221
Tripod with my 24-70mm F2.8 EX Lens on a beautiful sunny
day. This bridge was worthy of the submission it is one of
the few remaining, functional covered bridges in the U.S.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Excellent shots Brett. I particularily like the windmill one. The composition is excellent. What are you using for your backdrop in your still life photos? It looks like a thin carpet and maybe just a black background.

Tom, This Picture is also superb. I just love the way you appear to have captured the surprise, or emotion. Very well done.

I hope one day I can be as good a photographer as you two, as well as all the others who have posted in this thread.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Excellent shots Brett. I particularily like the windmill one. The composition is excellent. What are you using for your backdrop in your still life photos? It looks like a thin carpet and maybe just a black background.

Tom, This Picture is also superb. I just love the way you appear to have captured the surprise, or emotion. Very well done.

I hope one day I can be as good a photographer as you two, as well as all the others who have posted in this thread.

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
thanks for the complement.

I guess the one thing to remember and this is especially easy with digital --- keep shooting ! Don't sit and wait for the "moment" to happen. You don't have to stand there and mash the shutter release down but if you get in the habit of shooting and moving and shooting and moving, you're bound to get some great stuff. Those 5 above are among 151 that I shot of them in about an hour. Lots are mediocre, some are OK and just a small fraction I would consider "good".

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
thanks for the complement.

I guess the one thing to remember and this is especially easy with digital --- keep shooting ! Don't sit and wait for the "moment" to happen. You don't have to stand there and mash the shutter release down but if you get in the habit of shooting and moving and shooting and moving, you're bound to get some great stuff. Those 5 above are among 151 that I shot of them in about an hour. Lots are mediocre, some are OK and just a small fraction I would consider "good".

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Mark,

I appreciate the kind words! I am not real sure that I
deserve them but I will kindly accept them anyway. :)

My backdrop at the moment is black cut pile carpet or red
velvet. I need to get some different materials though.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Mark,

I appreciate the kind words! I am not real sure that I
deserve them but I will kindly accept them anyway. :)

My backdrop at the moment is black cut pile carpet or red
velvet. I need to get some different materials though.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Tom, that's exactly the philosophy I follow when I take pictures. The pictures in This Post are the results of about half an hour at that small lake. I took about 90 pictures total, but was only satisfied enough with the 15 there that they were actually good.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Tom, that's exactly the philosophy I follow when I take pictures. The pictures in This Post are the results of about half an hour at that small lake. I took about 90 pictures total, but was only satisfied enough with the 15 there that they were actually good.

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
15 out of 90 is a pretty good ratio ! When I went to Nepal last year I think I shot 30 rolls of film and would say that < 5% of them are "good" by my standards. Some of which are the portraits in my pbase gallery and the rest are obviously landscapes. Hopefully I'll have my landscapes & architecture galleries redone in the next week or so and then everyone else can be the judge ! :)

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
15 out of 90 is a pretty good ratio ! When I went to Nepal last year I think I shot 30 rolls of film and would say that < 5% of them are "good" by my standards. Some of which are the portraits in my pbase gallery and the rest are obviously landscapes. Hopefully I'll have my landscapes & architecture galleries redone in the next week or so and then everyone else can be the judge ! :)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Heh, Tom. That's far out. 5% of 30 rolls, wow.

Well, I guess that was a good day for me. I suppose when I went to New York in May, I had a better (or worse?) ratio. In This Post you can see that I have about 14 good photos posted, out of approximately 350. So I suppose it really just depends on my tastes on different days.

I expect when I go to Europe next March (London, Paris, Florence, and Rome) for 10 days, I'll have many more photos to go through. That reminds me, I'm going to need another XD card to hold all those pictures.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Heh, Tom. That's far out. 5% of 30 rolls, wow.

Well, I guess that was a good day for me. I suppose when I went to New York in May, I had a better (or worse?) ratio. In This Post you can see that I have about 14 good photos posted, out of approximately 350. So I suppose it really just depends on my tastes on different days.

I expect when I go to Europe next March (London, Paris, Florence, and Rome) for 10 days, I'll have many more photos to go through. That reminds me, I'm going to need another XD card to hold all those pictures.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Wow, some of these are pretty good!

Thought I'd add a couple more to the pile -- some more humorous and/or more personal ones...

What's Jeff Nelson shaking a stick at, eh? (Team of the Century parade, Manhattan, October 1999)

Okay, where exactly is this bird's eye at? (Ocho Rios, Jamaica, February 2000)

Somewhere, over the... (Near Berlin, Maryland, August 2000)

26 days after 9/11, facing southern Manhattan (Weehawken, New Jersey, October 2001)

The sphere from the WTC plaza (Battery Park, Manhattan, March 2002)

Wanna take a shower? (Under Niagra Falls (Canadian side), April 2002)

"Hmm...was that a 98 mph fastball that just came across home plate?" (Yankees vs. Angels, my birthday, 22 August 2002)

"Whaddaya mean he's safe?! He was out by a mile!" (Yankees vs. Angels, my birthday, 22 August 2002)

"See this ball? Remember Piazza?" (Yankees vs. Angels, my birthday, 22 August 2002)

Curiosity killed ... what again? (Mosy, performing a nifty balancing trick to get a closer look, Ocean City, Maryland, October 2002)

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Wow, some of these are pretty good!

Thought I'd add a couple more to the pile -- some more humorous and/or more personal ones...

What's Jeff Nelson shaking a stick at, eh? (Team of the Century parade, Manhattan, October 1999)

Okay, where exactly is this bird's eye at? (Ocho Rios, Jamaica, February 2000)

Somewhere, over the... (Near Berlin, Maryland, August 2000)

26 days after 9/11, facing southern Manhattan (Weehawken, New Jersey, October 2001)

The sphere from the WTC plaza (Battery Park, Manhattan, March 2002)

Wanna take a shower? (Under Niagra Falls (Canadian side), April 2002)

"Hmm...was that a 98 mph fastball that just came across home plate?" (Yankees vs. Angels, my birthday, 22 August 2002)

"Whaddaya mean he's safe?! He was out by a mile!" (Yankees vs. Angels, my birthday, 22 August 2002)

"See this ball? Remember Piazza?" (Yankees vs. Angels, my birthday, 22 August 2002)

Curiosity killed ... what again? (Mosy, performing a nifty balancing trick to get a closer look, Ocean City, Maryland, October 2002)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks