JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I decided to revisit some pics from last year and this was the first one I looked at.

_DSC6379.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Another shot from the same day last summer that I messed around with today. I really experimented with this one. It's actually shot at about EV -2.0 and significantly adjusted to create a high key image.
_DSC6403.jpg

Last edited:

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Not very exciting....trip from Houston

Attachments

• PLANE2.jpg
    PLANE2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 56

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Since JohnRice is revisiting pictures I will post this one. This is my Dad on the last fishing trip he took, on Fence Lake near Woodruff WI. My Dad was an avid fisherman and so this picture, and the hat he's wearing in it, were placed on top the box containing his ashes at his memorial service.

View attachment 38844

Eric: Just perfect. Beautiful.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This has a feel similar to an infrared shot. Very nice, John.
Thanks, Scott. This is a look I want to experiment with more. It's something I'd wanted to achieve on film, but it just didn't seem to be possible. Now, digital gives me the chance to see what can be done. The entire approach, from exposure to the B&W conversion is rather unconventional, but this is one of the great things about digital.

I'd really like feedback on how people feel about the general look. I know it does have some characteristics of infrared, but on the whole, a lot is actually the exact opposite of infrared. In particular, instead of the sky being darkened, it's significantly lightened, and while the foliage is lightened, it's not nearly as much as with IR. As I look at it now, I think I want to lighten the foliage more, but still not to IR levels.

So, some things I'd like feedback on are the general (almost) high key effect. Also, in the B&W conversion, I left 10% of the color in, to give it just a hint of the natural color, then I applied a B&W style tone. I can't remember which one. I'd have to open the file again to see specifically what it is, but it's one that reproduces one of the common chemical tones that were used with silver prints.

This is something I can see doing a series of and having a wall collage printed up for the house.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
John,

I like the "almost" high key effect. The tree has a very three dimensional look to it, and that 3D look is really helped by the definition in the clouds, You need the right type of photo for this look to work well, and this shot gives you a lot to work with.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A simple vote for your preferred version. You can explain why, if you want. The difference between them isn't big, I'm just interested in what others prefer.

A)
_DSC6403.jpg

B)
_DSC6403b.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Me four.

The lightening of the sky itself makes the tree "pop" more in #2 but it looks like it's forced (only because we have a side-by-side comparison though, I'm sure).

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
My wife, son and I took a mini-vacation in Asheville, NC recently and spent a few hours driving along the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway. We stopped to let our son, Ryan, run around and for us to take in the view. While I was snapping shots of him playing, I caught this one with a rather dramatic sky in the background. I love any picture with my son in it, but am particularly fond of this one with it's contrasting sun/ stormy clouds, the angle of the path, and Ryan oblivious to me taking his picture :)

RyanMountains2017.jpg

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
IMG_5629.jpg

Before moving to Chicago I was lucky to go on the Open Doors Chicago free architectural tour. The churches in Ukraine Village are absolutely stunning! This is a shot of the ceiling from underneath the massive chandelier. Taken at Saint Nicholas Ukraine Catholic Cathedral.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I know I said recently that my photography skills would be tested by my new muse, Ernest.

Well, I've got another new muse...his new little brother Petey (a puppy we just got within the past few days).

Ernest is adjusting...but has clearly wondereed on more than one occasion when we are bringing him back! :laugh:

full

full

Puppies don't like to sit still...and move fast!

full

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks