What's new

Most TV's seem too high to me. (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Scott
Looking at pictures and being at peoples houses, seems like people are mounting their TV's way too high. I thought he old rule of thumb was to try to center the TV vertically to your eyes in your seated position....Which is actually quite low for a large TV. I currently have my 85" at a height of 27.5" off the ground. I might have mounted lower but I wanted to see it from my kitchen and I needed to be higher than the the couch inbetween. Here's an example pic I just pulled off the web. And don't even get me started on the over-the-fireplace neck crank mount. Funny how no one wants to sit in the first rows of a movie theater but will put their TV way high. I read something once too that people have tendency to mount pictures on walls too high as well. Maybe same psychology? How are you guys determining height?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-30 162229.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-30 162229.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 50

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A lot of times, wall mounted TVs are too high. I think it has a lot to do with what looks "right" in the room, rather than what's comfortable to watch. How high it should be will also depend on the size and angle of vision from the sitting position. However, it is more comfortable to look up a little bit, so centering the screen vertically is probably too low. I believe that in most situations, as in not projection, or an enormous screen such as 100"+, that it should be centered vertically somewhere in the bottom 1/3-1/4 of the screen. I know that's the most comfortable for me. Some believe the bottom of the screen should be at eye level, which can work fine as long as the screen isn't too large.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I asked the guys who installed my television how high they recommend and they said they always fix at a height of 1m (39 inches) which has been perfect. My other television which stands on a cabinet is half that height. Depends on seating and distance but I agree that many people mount them too high.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Many guys also have wife to keep happy, so it gets mounted where she will allow it if it's in a main part of the house.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Many guys also have wife to keep happy, so it gets mounted where she will allow it if it's in a main part of the house.
I have the 55" tv on the floor these days and my neck has never felt better!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Definitely depends on how large, viewing distance, etc plus probably adjust based on if the display can easily be tilted a bit (up/down) and whether one uses recliners (at least for all key seating)... but yes, it does seem most people tend to mount their displays higher than ideal for actual viewing enjoyment (vs whatever room decor/aesthetics and WAF).

I have a 120" 16x9 FP screen w/ 10-11ft viewing distance, and I find the bottom edge should definitely be at least 1/2 ft lower than eye level -- mine is at ~27" height and usually ~7" below my eye level (though I'm slightly short for a guy), which is just about perfect for 16x9 images w/out (actual) reclining... and it also works very well for keeping my center channel (angled modestly up on its stand) as well as 25" tall Hsu subwoofer just below the visible screen

_Man_

YANG

Screenwriter
... ...I currently have my 85" at a height of 27.5" off the ground... ...And don't even get me started on the over-the-fireplace neck crank mount. Funny how no one wants to sit in the first rows of a movie theater but will put their TV way high. I read something once too that people have tendency to mount pictures on walls too high as well. Maybe same psychology? How are you guys determining height?
my setup is roughly about 72cm from floor to the chin/bottom bezel of the 75inch TV, that's roughly coming close to what ur setup.
my viewing distance is about 2.1m/7ft away between eyes to screen. thru this setup, my viewing angle will be under 20degree estimate, if determined by straight line vision, where is drawn on paper, will be my sight falls on the borderline between image and black bar if i'm watching 2.35:1 movies. considering that ur display is 85inch, the straight sight from ur eyes will likely to fall under the chin/bezel of ur display, which will likely to trigger u to tilt ur head 20 and above degree to get ur sight to reach the center of the center of the sreen... which would add fatigue to ur neck.

YANG

Screenwriter
there's no universal formula to count how high or low should our display be mounted, either on a console or wall bracket.
we're made of different race, with different builds, and different eyesight focus, that would be easily affected by vertical viewing angle as well as horizontal viewing angle.

something i recently discovered in my last cinema visit. while i was waiting for NAPOLEON to come on to the 2.4:1 blankscreen, i lifted my arm, palm straight up facing the screen, i noticed that my palm is roughly 2 middle finger section away from screen top border. when i comes back home, i do the same test again, to the 50inch daily program TV, the tip of my middle finger protrudes off the screen border by half a section. palm fits onto the 2.35:1 image on the 75incher from top to bottom image border.

so, what am i trying to deliver here?
where we live, how much allowance we have on a plain wall, determines on the size of screen we can acquire.
what kind of screen size, what kind of content, determines the sweetspot distance from eyes to screen for viewing comfortableness.
how much comfortableness can be achieved can be affected by angle of horizontal viewing angle, as well as vertical viewing angle.
eventually, horizontal or vertical viewing angle will affect our choice of use of the displays as well as how we're positioned. sitting heights? viewing distance? or display setup?

the palm "of fortune" test, may gives u an idea how big u can pick, how uncomfortable if the content u viewing on, doesn't fills up the screen.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Our living room tv is in a cubby over the fireplace because

A: That’s the only place it can be because of the room design
B: That’s also where wifey wanted it

It doesn’t bother me because I rarely watch tv in there and if I do, I’m laid back in a reclining part of our sectional sofa so I’m not craining my neck to see.

Our bedroom tv (the 65” I moved up from the theater room when we moved my parents in with us last year) is on a stand with direct eye level being the lower ⅓ of the screen and it’s perfect.

VonMagnum

Auditioning
Real Name
Landon
I put mine where my head is pointed when I recline. Otherwise, you'd have to look down all the time (not pleasant from a reclined position).

I the home theater with multiple rows, there's the whole blocked by someone's head business (why cinemas had/have them above eye level in the old days before stadium seating).

That also greatly helps with using a full sized matching tower or bookshelf instead of those crappy "center channel speakers" that rarely sound as good or even the same as the mains and which many home theaters put practically on the floor (height change compared to tower mains on sides).

Of, course mounted behind an acoustically transparent screen is better yet, but the fact is most home theaters choose poor sound to have a larger screen or TV (TVs generally create huge reflection problems with audio too when they get to cinema size, particularly when covered in glass or something equally reflective).

My home theater screen sits just above the towers (eye level is bottom 3rd) and all 6 seats in three rows are full recliners (most powered and/or with heat and massage). I've got 21 speakers (11.1.10) and still have a 1080p/3D projector (I chose sound over picture/projector). I've got Heights+Tops combined and front wides and ss#2 on top of 7.1 layout at ear level (plus optional Surround Heights for Auro-3D).

I've even got a Lexicon MC-1 plugged into the 7.1 inputs of the main controller processor for Logic 7 music modes on top of Atmos/DTS:X/Auro-3D. Logic 7 is still the best 2-channel to surround music upmixer ever made, IMO (I've got two more in the house, one in the music/living room and one in the exercise room/home gym).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks