What's new

Show Off Your Pics (2 Viewers)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Here's one of this year's batch of yard bunnies. This one was being a good subject and gave me plenty of nice poses.

View attachment 38492

Tech stuff: Nikon D500 with Sigma 150-500mm @450mm (675mm effective) handheld at ISO 6400 1/640 f/8 -0.7 EV

Note: I do all my work on these on a wide gamut monitor at full RGB, and the images I post on HTF are always a little darker and more saturated than I intend them to be.

Nice low angle shot, John.

Our rabbit population is a little low this year, as there has been a red fox patrolling the neighborhood. I'd like to get a shot of the fox, but we've only seen him in the early mornings moving through the yard quickly -- not enough time to grab my camera.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is there any particular type of subject anyone wants to get pics of this summer?

I'm just trying to get some discussion going.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Is there any particular type of subject anyone wants to get pics of this summer?

I'm just trying to get some discussion going.

Part of our summer trip will be three nights in Baxter State Park in central Maine. I'm hoping to get some decent shots of a bull moose. My digital wildlife portfolio lacks any shots of bulls, and I only have decent shots of one encounter with a cow -- from Glacier National Park.

IMG_4400-X2.jpg

IMG_4418-X2.jpg

I got this shot in Denali National Park, but I do not consider it a good one. I only kept it because we've rarely seen moose in our travels -- there are very few left in Yellowstone since the fires of 1988. We were hoping to see some on Isle Royale National Park last summer, but all we saw were moose tracks and droppings during our hikes.

IMG_5054-XL.jpg

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I want to take advantage of the 150mm macro I got last year, along with a beauty light attachment (the kind that pops open and uses a shoe mounted flash) for flowers. You can get some interesting results with that combination.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I still do not have a macro lens in my arsenal. I attempted to add one last year, buying a Tamron 90mm VC macro when it was on sale. Unfortunately, the lens was DOA and returned to Adorama. I'll try again one of these days.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a feeling there was a reason Tamron was blowing those out. Maybe it needed a chip update and was having problems with some cameras. I recall it worked with one of your cameras but not the other.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Part of our summer trip will be three nights in Baxter State Park in central Maine. I'm hoping to get some decent shots of a bull moose. My digital wildlife portfolio lacks any shots of bulls, and I only have decent shots of one encounter with a cow -- from Glacier National Park.

IMG_4400-X2.jpg

IMG_4418-X2.jpg

I got this shot in Denali National Park, but I do not consider it a good one. I only kept it because we've rarely seen moose in our travels -- there are very few left in Yellowstone since the fires of 1988. We were hoping to see some on Isle Royale National Park last summer, but all we saw were moose tracks and droppings during our hikes.

IMG_5054-XL.jpg

LOVE the center picture!!!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks, Eric. Just getting that shot of the cow moose took a lot of effort. Fishercap Lake in Glacier National Park is probably the best moose spot in the park, but it took us four different hikes to the lake for me to get that one. Every visit before this one, as we hiked in and asked if anyone was seeing moose, we were told "you just missed the bull". We tried different times of day, but it made no difference -- it's only a short one mile hike to the lake, so we could try several times during our stay. Finally, on our last afternoon, I had just setup my tripod and my wife had left to hike up the shoreline when this cow stepped out. Fortunately someone hiking back our way saw the moose and pointed it out to my wife so she could head back to me -- she wouldn't have been happy if she missed it! This wasn't the bull I was hoping for, but it was a nice consolation prize.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I live in eastern upstate NY and travel regularly into Vermont (my wife is a native!) and have NEVER seen a moose! :angry:

More whitetail deer than I could ever count. I've even seen brown bears on three different occasions. But never a moose. All the "Moose Crossing" signs on various roads just mock me.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Here in Northern Colorado, we have moose, but it's the elk that cause some interesting situations.

Search YouTube for "Estes Park Elk" and marvel at all the videos.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I live in eastern upstate NY and travel regularly into Vermont (my wife is a native!) and have NEVER seen a moose! :angry:

More whitetail deer than I could ever count. I've even seen brown bears on three different occasions. But never a moose. All the "Moose Crossing" signs on various roads just mock me.

I think you mean black bears - - not brown bears, Mike. If you saw an Alaskan brown bear in your area, you would have quite a find! Color is not what defines the difference between black and brown bears, the latter of which is just a coastal version of a grizzly bear. Brown / grizzlies are only found out west, have a distinctive hump at the front shoulders, and a dish shaped face. A black bear has a longer snout. Black bears can climb trees, too, while adult grizzlies / brown bears cannot.

A park ranger in Yellowstone once told us a funny way of telling the difference. She said if you climb a tree to escape a bear, and the bear climbs the tree to attack and eat you, it's a black bear. If it knocks the tree down and then eats you, it's a grizzly. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks