What's new

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
So, on 12/27/77, at precisely this time, I was sitting at MoMA for the screening of the 1936 version of Show Boat, introduced by Miles Kreuger. This version had just recently been "rediscovered," so it was a big deal to see it in an impeccable 35mm print from the MGM vault. That Ol' Man River sequence is still the one to beat.
Earlier that day, we were shown the 1929 version with all the sound footage that was extant at the time. A quite good 35mm print as well.
Then we saw the Technicolor version, an IB 35mm that was stunning. Still my least favorite version for many reasons which I will not enumerate here. The saving grace, for me, is the sublime Ava Gardner. A perfect performance, and a final other-worldly closeup that brings tears to my eyes.
It was a journey to remember: Three Show Boats in one day in order to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Broadway opening.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes such a shame there is no recordings of Howard Marsh and Norma Terris singing their songs, would love to have heard them.
Why it took so long for original cast recordings to be produced for Broadway shows is a real mystery to me. I would have thought the composers would have fought like banshees to have ALL of their songs put down on records for posterity rather than having recording stars wax only the few hits a show turned out.

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
Why it took so long for original cast recordings to be produced for Broadway shows is a real mystery to me. I would have thought the composers would have fought like banshees to have ALL of their songs put down on records for posterity rather than having recording stars wax only the few hits a show turned out.
Yes I agree, in the case of the 1927 production Howard Marsh and Norma Terris apparently never recorded anything from their roles in Showboat, not a thing he did record some of his appearances in Gilbert & Sullivan operettas, but its hard to realise that Norma Terris didn't record any of her appearances in operettas or musicals, under somebody know different?

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks