What's new

Pre-Order BVHE Press Release: West Side Story (2021) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I have a Sony player that plays 4K but don't yet have any discs or a 4K display. If I begin buying the 4K versions of discs will the machine give me a good picture on the non-4K Panasonic tv and Epson projector?
Yes. I play 4K discs on my non-4K displays (including projector) all the time. They look great.

You cannot play 4K discs without a 4K player, but the player can show them on any display whether it's 4K capable or not, limited to the resolution of the display.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Tribute – The late Stephen Sondheim reflects on his career and experience making WEST SIDE STORY in this dedication to the esteemed lyricist.
This is thrilling. I'm not entirely sure of the production timeline for the bonus features. Maybe they shot it while the film was being shot. I know Sondheim visited the set at least once and was involved with recording sessions.

But if this is a newly filmed interview for this release done last year sometime, it could be one of Sondheim's last interviews prior to his recent unfortunate passing.

The prospect of getting even just a few more minutes of him talking about this work is really something.

Laurent Bouzereau also wrote the coffee table book West Side Story: The Making of the Steven Spielberg Film, which is excellent. I highly recommend that to any fan of this film. I have a feeling that the documentary may use some of the same interviews that were included in print in the book, but having a filmed record of them will be a nice compliment to the book.

There was also a 20/20 special which aired on ABC in advance of the release of the film and is now available for viewing on Disney+ that could be on here, but isn't. Bouzereau's documentary is almost certainly much more through. But the 20/20 special is something that exists which is relevant, and available digitally, so it is a shame it isn't here too.

You cannot play 4K discs without a 4K player, but the player can show them on any display whether it's 4K capable or not, limited to the resolution of the display.
I don't have a 4K TV or player right now, but I am getting the steelbook so the 4K disc will be in there.

Let's say for the sake of discussion that I ended up getting a 4K player at some point. If I'm watching the 4K disc on my existing television using the 4K player, would it actually look any different/better than just watching the included Blu-ray disc on the same TV?

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Let's say for the sake of discussion that I ended up getting a 4K player at some point. If I'm watching the 4K disc on my existing television using the 4K player, would it actually look any different/better than just watching the included Blu-ray disc on the same TV?
I've never compared any 4K vs. blu on my system, so I don't know for sure. I'm guessing if there are any variations it might be in color or brightness. It would be a bigger issue with catalog titles that may have been remastered for 4K, but they include an older mastered blu-ray inside the same package. In those cases, I'd think the 4K disc would tend to look better.

My choosing of a 4K disc over blu-ray, even without a 4K display, is usually for the audio benefits. Often the 4K disc has Dolby Atmos, while the blu-ray does not.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Often the 4K disc has Dolby Atmos, while the blu-ray does not.
Right. That makes sense. In my case, I don't have a surround sound setup right now so that wouldn't matter for me at this point in time.

I will buy 4K releases if I want the steelbook (such as the case here), or if the Blu-ray inside it has been updated in some way (Big Fish, Back to the Future) and I'm getting something different than I already have.

Otherwise, I generally stick to Blu-ray for now. I can't blame Best Buy for only releasing steelbooks with the 4K disc in them, because they are probably correct that the vast majority of collectors who want to have the steelbook also want the best-looking edition. But I have definitely been purchasing steelbooks less frequently now that I have to absorb the cost of the 4K release to do so. West Side Story is an important title to me, so I wanted the fancy one.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I don't yet have a 4K projector but I did buy a 4K disc player when one of my Blu-ray players developed problems. The only 4k disc I've bought so far is Vertigo, which comes off a new transfer. The 4k disc is noticeably better than the Blu-ray disc. Obviously the new transfer is the main cause of the difference but that difference is glaringly apparent on a non-4K display.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yes. I play 4K discs on my non-4K displays (including projector) all the time. They look great.

You will need to have a 4K rated HDMI cable though (if you don't already have one). 4K discs are region free but not necessarily the accompanying blu-ray.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
Very many grateful thanks to people who helped with advice about 4K on non-4K displays. I'll begin buying the 4K versions of discs so that when I upgrade the projector (when prices drop ....!!) I'll have some discs and will begin with WEST SIDE STORY.

I didn't know about the HDMI cable needing to be a 4K special one but imagine that the one included with the Sony player would be correct.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Earlier, I posted about the Best Buy/Zavvi steelbook and the Target "art edition." I just found another more retailer exclusive.

Wal-Mart has the 4K release packaged with a "a limited edition fabric poster" for $34.96.

West Side Story Wal-Mart fabric poster edition.jpg

www.walmart.com/ip/West-Side-Story-2021-4K-Ultra-HD-Blu-ray-Digital-Copy-Walmart-Exclusive-with-a-Limited-Edition-Fabric-Poster/366208310

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
In addition to the Best Buy steelbook that Ron linked, there is also a Target exclusive "art edition" featuring "two foil-embossed prints" and a fancy slipcover.

That one is available here.

Disney used to do digipacks for their Target exclusives. But for the last couple of years, they have just been fancy slipcovers that slide over the regular 4K release. So with this version you're essentially paying a $5 premium for what is most likely a fancy variant slipcover and two art cards.

I elected to go with the steelbook from Best Buy myself.

I'll also put my usual reminder in here that because this is a Disney title, Amazon delivery may not be reliable. Disney titles are the only ones I do not order with HTF referral links for this reason.
From the looks of it, it seems the Target exclusive is a Digibook....and not just a slipcover

wss target.jpeg

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
From the looks of it, it seems the Target exclusive is a Digibook....and not just a slipcover
I can see why you would think that from that picture because it sure looks like a digipack should look, and it has a pocket where the foil prints go. But the majority of Disney's Target exclusives since Onward (in May 2020) have looked exactly like that, but actually that slides over the standard keepcase.

See this as an example.

This is a change from the prior usual practice. Before Onward, the Disney Target exclusives actually were digipacks.

We won't know exactly what the one for West Side Story is until it comes out, but it is a Disney release, and based on recent history, I would expect it not to be a true digipack.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
No thanks. Pass.
Want the classic, Library of Congress chosen, 1961, 10 time Oscar Winner, 70MM, Technicolor,
West Side Story on a 4K disc.
This one will be $9.99 in a Best Buy bin come November.
Dude, seriously?!?!?! Why are you always coming on to all of the West Side Story 2021 threads to express your disdain? It's not only childish and obnoxious, it's also unnecessary and it makes you come off as an extremely miserable individual who needs to get over it and grow up.

Why don't you just channel that same energy and spend your time posting on films you really love and stay away from threads for movies you don't really have no interest in or care for. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but at this point, what you are doing now is just trolling.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Library-of-Congress-chosen
The new West Side Story may at some point be chosen by the Library of Congress as well. I would certainly vote for it to go in there, and they do solicit public submissions. A film must be at least a decade old before it can be considered for the National Film Registry, so it can't happen for a while. But saying that the original is "Library of Congress chosen" as though that alone makes it superior to the remake is wildly inaccurate, because they won't have an opportunity to choose this one for a decade. But they could, in due course, decide to put this film in there alongside the 1961 film.

And as far as the Oscars are concerned, this film has seven potential Oscars pending.

Last edited:

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
The new West Side Story may at some point be chosen by the Library of Congress as well. I would certainly vote for it to go in there, and they do solicit public submissions. A film must be at least a decade old before it can be considered for the National Film Registry, so it can't happen for a while. But saying that the original is "Library of Congress chosen" as though that alone makes it superior to the remake is wildly inaccurate, because they won't have an opportunity to choose this one for a decade. But they could, in due course, decide to put this film in there alongside the 1961 film.

And as far as the Oscars are concerned, this film has seven potential Oscars pending.
Exactly. I love the original. It’s my favorite film, but I can be objective and appreciate this new adaptation without getting threatened or “all up in my feelings” about it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Available for purchase digitally today for $19.99

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks