What's new

A Few Words About A few words about…™ Show Boat (1951) – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Give us all heart failure by digging up the Technicolor negs to THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX.

The Technicolor negatives were used for the 2005 DVD release. The issue with that one is that the original nitrate negatives had shrunk over time and no two in the exact same way, which is why that transfer has more color fringing than I've ever seen. They will need to re-scan the negatives and use a digital process similar to the old "Ultra-Resolution" method to get them to re-align, but it's not a question of needing to dig them up.

Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
There is a scene in Showboat where Gaylord runs into Julie as he is on a gambling boat. The scene that sets it up shows the riverboat the Sprague in a stock shot. That riverboat had an illustrious history that ended tragically in the 80’s. Ironically it was docked in Vicksburg, MS and used as a showboat for many of her last years. Here is story concerning her history and death.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
The Technicolor negatives were used for the 2005 DVD release. The issue with that one is that the original nitrate negatives had shrunk over time and no two in the exact same way, which is why that transfer has more color fringing than I've ever seen. They will need to re-scan the negatives and use a digital process similar to the old "Ultra-Resolution" method to get them to re-align, but it's not a question of needing to dig them up.
Delighted to hear it. Hopefully they'll do what needs to be done and release a perfect incarnation of the title.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
And more Flynn, Davis and 3-strip Technicolor on Blu-ray is always a good thing.

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
The issue with that one is that the original nitrate negatives had shrunk over time and no two in the exact same way, which is why that transfer has more color fringing than I've ever seen.

Yes, as poster Billy Batson said on another thread, it looked like watching a 3D movie without the special glasses! But, as I said on that thread, the version just shown last month on TCM had great layer alignment for almost the whole movie (there were a few minutes here and there that had a bit of mis-alignment, but nothing like the DVD). And it looked great all around. So, there's already a better version out there, and if they put the usual Warner Archive quality into it, it should make a stunning Blu-Ray.

Rick2Hot

Grip
Real Name
Terry Behm
No way is 1936 better. This is the one I've been waiting for. Looks super on my big screen projection theater screen. End of story!

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
No way is 1936 better. End of story!
I think it's a matter of opinion. I for one prefer the 1936 version. Visually, like the MGM version, the print is as sharp as a tack, but I prefer it emotionally and artistically (directed by the great James Whale). The MGM one is to me, a lollypop version! Very pretty to look at with some punchy orchestrations.

Rick2Hot

Grip
Real Name
Terry Behm
No way is 1936 better. This is the one I've been waiting for. Looks super on my big screen projection theater screen. End of story!
I also have the 1936 film, but with the color and music on a big screen I like it better.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have both but prefer the second version ... Paul Robeson alone makes it necessary to have the first version, but I found Irene Dunne's Magnolia very gauche and irritating. And Kathryn Grayson is in fine voice (for her!) in the second version. Her pitch was so erratic ..... but in this and in Kiss Me Kate, everything was OK.

daver812

Grip
Real Name
Dave
Mexican movie poster for Show Boat signed by Kathryn Grayson & Howard Keel. Needless to say this is my favorite version of the movie.
Show Boat.jpg

daver812

Grip
Real Name
Dave
I have both but prefer the second version ... Paul Robeson alone makes it necessary to have the first version, but I found Irene Dunne's Magnolia very gauche and irritating. And Kathryn Grayson is in fine voice (for her!) in the second version. Her pitch was so erratic ..... but in this and in Kiss Me Kate, everything was OK.
I was so happy when Kiss Me Kate came out in 3D blu ray :)

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
Kiss Me Kate was obviously made for 3D with things being thrown towards the camera all the time! Sadly, my new OLED TV doesn't have 3D so I can't watch it that way any more.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Kiss Me Kate was obviously made for 3D with things being thrown towards the camera all the time! Sadly, my new OLED TV doesn't have 3D so I can't watch it that way any more.

I'm in the same boat. I DO miss the 3D capabilities of my old 4K TV but wouldn't trade my OLED for anything!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks