What's new

A few words about...™ - The Devil Doll -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Devil Doll, a 1936 M-G-M production directed by Tod Browning, and featuring Lionel Barrymore and Maureen O'Sullivan, is an oddity from virtually any perspective.

At its core, the film is a revenge drama - but with a number of twists.

I've not seen it in years, and Warner Archive's new Blu-ray is the best I've seen, based upon gorgeous 35mm elements. Grain structure, black levels, gray scale, and resolution are all letter perfect. Main titles are a bit soft, and I've no idea why.

Whenever I think of this film, my mind goes to Bride of Frankenstein. M-G-M does seem to be poaching a bit of Universal's turf. And also The Unholy Three. You'll see why.

It's a terrific 1930s special effects production, and for those who have not been exposed, should prove to be a welcome addition to a serious library.

Image – 4.25

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 7

Slipcover rating - n/a

Highly Recommended

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I never saw "Devil-Doll" until I watched the BD yesterday and definitely thought Browning "borrowed" from Whale.

It's a good movie, though. I've not been wild about the Browning flicks I've seen - not that I've seen many, honestly - but I really liked "Mystic" and now "Doll".

The subplot with the daughter goes nowhere, IMO, and becomes a bit of a drag.

But Barrymore in drag is a hoot. He's a proto-Doubtfire! :D

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I saw this at the Regency many, many years ago--probably in the late 1970's or very early 80's. Frank Rowley managed to get some kind of archival print from MGM, and it was absolutely gorgeous. I'm pretty sure it wasn't nitrate, but boy did it glow. Of course, memory is notoriously faulty, but I recall this as being especially beautiful; the blacks rich and chocolaty, the whites resembling mother of pearl, and the contrast absolutely dazzling, a constellation of glittering tones, each one an epiphany. Even Lionel Barrymore's wig was a thing of beauty. The quality of the print really enhanced my appreciation of the film.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I saw this at the Regency many, many years ago--probably in the late 1970's or very early 80's. Frank Rowley managed to get some kind of archival print from MGM, and it was absolutely gorgeous. I'm pretty sure it wasn't nitrate, but boy did it glow. Of course, memory is notoriously faulty, but I recall this as being especially beautiful; the blacks rich and chocolaty, the whites resembling mother of pearl, and the contrast absolutely dazzling, a constellation of glittering tones, each one an epiphany. Even Lionel Barrymore's wig was a thing of beauty. The quality of the print really enhanced my appreciation of the film.
Chocolaty blacks were probably due to a nicotine enhanced screen.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Chocolaty blacks were probably due to a nicotine enhanced screen.
That nicotine enhanced screen was a specialty at the Regency. But it worked for me. Anyway, I'm looking forward to this Warner Archive Blu, to see if it has any connection to what so impressed me back in the day, though my screen, naturally, is nicotine free. Amazon, as is their wont, have held my delivery date back two weeks, but eventually...

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The Devil Doll, a 1936 M-G-M production directed by Tod Browning, and featuring Lionel Barrymore and Maureen O'Sullivan, is an oddity from virtually any perspective.

At its core, the film is a revenge drama - but with a number of twists.

I've not seen it in years, and Warner Archive's new Blu-ray is the best I've seen, based upon gorgeous 35mm elements. Grain structure, black levels, gray scale, and resolution are all letter perfect. Main titles are a bit soft, and I've no idea why.

Whenever I think of this film, my mind goes to Bride of Frankenstein. M-G-M does seem to be poaching a bit of Universal's turf. And also The Unholy Three. You'll see why.

It's a terrific 1930s special effects production, and for those who have not been exposed, should prove to be a welcome addition to a serious library.

Image – 4.25

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 7

Slipcover rating - n/a

Highly Recommended
It was great to hear from George Feltenstein about which elements were used for this harvest on this week's The Extras. Truly yeoman's work the WAC and MPI are doing. https://www.theextras.tv/podcasts/blog-post-todbrowning-102523

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I saw it at FF at the insistence of a friend. So bizarre it practically seemed pre code. Another of those MGM House of Andy Hardy films Louis B does not get credit for. Even the hardly unsubtle incestuous Barretts of Wimpole Street gussied up as a romantic period drama is bizarre.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks