What's new

Shout Factory Leave it to Beaver complete series question (1 Viewer)

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I just received the complete Leave it to Beaver set from Deep Discount. Five minutes of the season one episode The Haircut was all it took to see that the video and audio were improved significantly compared to single sided universal set.

I don't have any problems with the video and audio in Universal's season 1 DVD set, episodes look and sound good to me. :)

The season 1 DVD set from Shout Factory, because of the errors with the opening teaser scenes, I threw those discs in the trash except for disc #1, I kept that one because it has the bonus feature, Ken Osmond/Frank Bank interview.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Another problem with the Leave It To Beaver DVD's from Shout Factory is that the video has a reddish/purplish color in areas of the video that have a lot of fine detail. Shout Factory boasted about these being "high definition" transfers, but what it ended up doing was create the red and purple effect. When I watch the episodes from seasons 2-6, Shout Factory DVD's, I have to turn the color off on my TV set in order for the color effect to go away. The 1st season DVD's from Universal do not have this red/purple effect, there's no color tint in the video fine detail areas, it's a perfect black and white picture because those discs were done correctly.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
So, the Shout Season 2 is correct and no need to buy the Universal season 2?

I prefer the shout season 1 and 2 to the Universal sets but it could be system dependent as Lee didn't notice a difference but in my system there was a big difference. My system is pretty modest. The season one single sided DVD universal set gave me a headache but season two didn't.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I would go with Shout!'s release for one reason. Universal used DVD18s for their S1 and S2 releases. Those are notorious for having defects, either up front or years later, that render a disc unplayable after the layer change. This can affect either side of the flippy.

Edited to correct something I'd forgotten (Thanks, Lee!):

Universal *did* do a re-release of their S1 and S2 sets on SS discs. Those have a 6 disc count while the to-be-avoided-DVD18 sets have a 3 disc count.

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I would go with Shout!'s release for one reason. Universal used DVD18s for their S1 and S2 releases. Those are notorious for having defects, either up front or years later, that render a disc unplayable after the layer change. This can affect either side of the flippy.

I'm not really fond of double sided DVD's either although I have to say that I haven't had any problems so far with the ones I have. Universal did a re-issue of Leave It To Beaver season 1, the 39 episodes are on 6 single sided discs, that is the set I have.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm not really fond of double sided DVD's either although I have to say that I haven't had any problems so far with the ones I have. Universal did a re-issue of Leave It To Beaver season 1, the 39 episodes are on 6 single sided discs, that is the set I have.
Yes, I'd forgotten about those - and I, too, purchased those Universal SS sets to replace my Universal DS sets, solely because I'd completed the series by purchasing only the seasons I needed from Shout! and discovered after those purchases my DS sets had gone south.

Universal re-released both S1 and S2 with SS discs. Still, I'd likely go with all Shout! if starting from scratch as I'd likely just purchase the Complete Series set rather than season by season.

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I have been going through the big ol' Shout! set episode-by-episode and do not notice any problems with playback. I'm only at the middle of season 2 and have a ways to go. They sure made a LOT of episodes per season in those days! They accumulated about 50 more episodes than I Love Lucy in the same amount of time.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have been going through the big ol' Shout! set episode-by-episode and do not notice any problems with playback. I'm only at the middle of season 2 and have a ways to go. They sure made a LOT of episodes per season in those days! They accumulated about 50 more episodes than I Love Lucy in the same amount of time.

And back in those days, a 4-season show could have 100-something episodes (like The Untouchables, which had 119 in those four), unlike today, where despite 4 gos, you could have only 30-40 episodes in the whole series to that point.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

Edited to correct something I'd forgotten (Thanks, Lee!):

Universal *did* do a re-release of their S1 and S2 sets on SS discs. Those have a 6 disc count while the to-be-avoided-DVD18 sets have a 3 disc count.
Howie's advice is good. I was given the first two seasons of LITB on those Universal flippers, and, while most play just fine, I have had a handful of episodes freeze up on me and refuse to play all the way through on every DVD player of PC drive I tried them on. If you can get the re-issued single sided ones from Universal, as Lee mentioned, then they are likely just fine. But I'd avoid the older Universal DVD-18 flippers if I were you, John.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Yes, I'd forgotten about those - and I, too, purchased those Universal SS sets to replace my Universal DS sets, solely because I'd completed the series by purchasing only the seasons I needed from Shout! and discovered after those purchases my DS sets had gone south.

Universal re-released both S1 and S2 with SS discs. Still, I'd likely go with all Shout! if starting from scratch as I'd likely just purchase the Complete Series set rather than season by season.

There are errors with the opening teasers of the episodes on the season 1 DVD set from Shout Factory, so for that season I went with the single sided DVD set from Universal which was done correctly with regards to the teasers. For seasons 2-6 I have the DVD sets from Shout Factory.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Enjoy the set, John. Beaver was a favorite of mine growing up. The set is great.

One of my favorite episodes is S1 E1: Beaver Gets 'Spelled. An absolute classic featuring one of my favorite actors, Burt Mustin as Gus the Fireman.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Enjoy the set, John. Beaver was a favorite of mine growing up. The set is great.

One of my favorite episodes is S1 E1: Beaver Gets 'Spelled. An absolute classic featuring one of my favorite actors, Burt Mustin as Gus the Fireman.

Is that S1 E1 the actual pilot ? Or is there an unaired pilot

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
That’s it, John. Great set for a fabulous series. Top 5 all time in my book.

Gary “great rewatchability with this series as well“ O.
Could be the best thing Shout ever released!

The Original Pilot, "It's A Small World" can be found on the BONUS FEATURES disc.

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am enjoying the Set. The only beef I have is that Still the Beaver was not included. I did watch the New Leave it to Beaver as a teenager and I know theres not much if any hope of getting a release for that but No Still the Beaver? Really ??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks