What's new

Shout Factory Leave it to Beaver complete series question (1 Viewer)

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I was wondering if anyone who owns the complete leave it to Beaver box set has compared seasons one and two to the Universal Pictures sets? In my system the season one audio is a little rough. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I own both but have never compared the seasons. My Universal sets are some that hang/skip so I was grateful to get them on SS discs from Shout and get that issue resolved.

I still have both sets but haven't yet watched S1 of the Shout set. I don't recall any audio issues on the Universal S1 set but it's been a very long time since I last watched that one. Is there any particular episode that really sticks out?

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I own both but have never compared the seasons. My Universal sets are some that hang/skip so I was grateful to get them on SS discs from Shout and get that issue resolved.

I still have both sets but haven't yet watched S1 of the Shout set. I don't recall any audio issues on the Universal S1 set but it's been a very long time since I last watched that one. Is there any particular episode that really sticks out?

The earlier episodes, first two discs, seem to be the worst. I don't know why but after about ten minutes I start to get a headache. Watching it with the Sony player which has better audio processing seems to mitigate it some but it still doesn't seem as good as the season three box set I have from Shout. Watching season one on MeTV seems better also so I'm assuming It's from Shout. I'm trying to decide whether to spend the money for the complete Shout set. As usual I have some but not all of the seasons and the compete set is a pretty good price right now.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I didn't notice any such problems with my Shout set.

The Universal sets were double-sided, so of course I trashed them as soon as I got the Shout set.
Thanks, could you tell me if the picture and sound of season one seems to be on par with seasons three and later?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I have the shout! One of many in my collection that developed cloudiness. I went through and cleaned them all and turned them upside down so they didn't tough the oily case. Otherwise, they play fine. I don't have the Paramounts.

I thought it was weird that outside scenes look better than inside scenes. inside there is more graininess.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I have the shout! One of many in my collection that developed cloudiness. I went through and cleaned them all and turned them upside down so they didn't tough the oily case. Otherwise, they play fine. I don't have the Paramounts.

I thought it was weird that outside scenes look better than inside scenes. inside there is more graininess.
The cloudiness was on the outside from oil in the container?

dstrong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Damon

I noticed the same thing, while currently watching Season 1. The outside scenes are very clear, and the inside scenes have noticeable grain.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I noticed the same cloudy film on the dvd surfaces on my Shout LITB Complete Series set. It was primarily on the Disc 1 and Disc 6 of each individual season. I was able to remove all of it with a little rubbing alcohol on a lint free cloth.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I noticed the same cloudy film on the dvd surfaces on my Shout LITB Complete Series set. It was primarily on the Disc 1 and Disc 6 of each individual season. I was able to remove all of it with a little rubbing alcohol on a lint free cloth.

I complained to Shout! about the same issue probably eight years ago. Sent pictures as well. I didn't have play issues yet, but they sent a few replacement disks for the ones where the cloudiness could no longer be removed.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
That's interesting, Brad. I had not noticed the cloudy film issue until recently. A few of my discs played fine even with the cloudiness issue, but some did not. I was able to completely remove the cloudy film from all of the affected discs and they all play fine now. I also wiped down the inside of the front and inside of the back of the case; not really sure that will help prevent any future problems or not. I'm glad to hear Shout did the responsible thing and you received replacement discs.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
The problem with the 1st season DVD of Leave It To Beaver from Shout Factory is that the opening teasers of many episodes are misplaced, they are seen after the opening credits instead of before. The 1st season DVD from Universal does not have this problem, opening teasers are placed properly, before the opening credits. Universal has re-issued season 1 on single sided discs, that is the set I use for season 1. For seasons 2-6 I use the sets from Shout Factory.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
The problem with the 1st season DVD of Leave It To Beaver from Shout Factory is that the opening teasers of many episodes are misplaced, they are seen after the opening credits instead of before. The 1st season DVD from Universal does not have this problem, opening teasers are placed properly, before the opening credits. Universal has re-issued season 1 on single sided discs, that is the set I use for season 1. For seasons 2-6 I use the sets from Shout Factory.
I have the single sided seasons one and two from universal but I don't like season one. I've ordered the shout set and will post my comments after I compare them.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I have the single sided seasons one and two from universal but I don't like season one. I've ordered the shout set and will post my comments after I compare them.

For season 1, I much prefer Universal's single sided DVD set because the episodes are done correctly, they begin with the teaser scenes prior to the opening credits. With Shout Factory's version of season 1, the only disc I kept is disc #1 because it has the bonus feature, audio interview with Ken Osmond and Frank Bank.

Real Name
E.G.
The cloudiness you all have mentioned is probably disc rot. There was one season in my Leave it to Beaver complete series set that developed disc rot (all 6 discs) and after I sent a message to Shout! about it a couple years ago, they told me they knew of the issue and sent me replacements.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
The cloudiness you all have mentioned is probably disc rot. There was one season in my Leave it to Beaver complete series set that developed disc rot (all 6 discs) and after I sent a message to Shout! about it a couple years ago, they told me they knew of the issue and sent me replacements.
They have re-released the set this year. I wonder if that's the reason why.

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
My DVD's of Leave It To Beaver appear to be in good shape, I notice a little cloudiness is present on discs 1 and 6 of season 3, but the other discs all look fine.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I just received the complete Leave it to Beaver set from Deep Discount. Five minutes of the season one episode The Haircut was all it took to see that the video and audio were improved significantly compared to single sided universal set. Thanks to everyone's comments I'll have to keep an eye out for cloudiness on the discs but maybe they've fixed that problem with this re-release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks