What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Should the Olympics even be on network TV? (1 Viewer)

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I'm not a fan of the Olympics but I'd be against removing them from network TV because if they did that, then the Olympics would lose a great amount of support in the US. Like it or not, network TV is still one of the best ways to get people to see a sport, or sports, like the Olympics.

I think college football really hurt itself this past season by having a majority of the bowl games on cable. They keep doing this and support for college football will erode.

The Olympics, on the other hand, has international support, but if relegated to cable, less of the US will watch, and it may cause younger generations to turn away from the Olympics to other things.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I like the Olympics being on OTA, I just wish NBC would do a much better job. Keep the longer running events like hockey on an alternate network OR perhaps run them live on NBC in the mornings and then perhaps a good synopsis at night. Kind of what OLN does with the Tour de France, there is longer coverage in the early morning (6 hour advance) and then it is rebroadcast at night.

CNBC, MSNBC, should be in the game and cover other events, perhaps longer events and more obscure events or expanded coverage (of the scrubs or whatever). NBC should just have less commercials and they can stick to there 90% figure skating......

Jay

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
HDTV and the Olympics seem tailor made for each other. As long as the OTA networks are the primary provider of HDTV programming the Olympics should absolutely stay there.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m somewhat confused as to the question. After all the reason that the Olympics are on NBC is because NBC paid very big bucks for the rights. Regardless of whether the telecasts are getting trounced in prime time, it would not serve NBC well to pay that much money and then ignore their own network.

As for putting out individual events for bid, I expect that is counterproductive in terms of revenue to the Olympic Committee and Organization. In the US (not sure about other countries), companies will pay a premium for exclusive rights.

Further, rights are “… only sold to broadcasters who can guarantee the broadest coverage throughout their respective countries free of charge.” (emphasis mine).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think the games should stay on network television, but I'd like to see them do a better job of coverage. I've watched very little on NBC, instead watching CBC and Universal HD (hockey) most of the time, with a little CNBC thrown in.

If only I could get CBC in HD. :frowning: They show much more of the actual events than NBC.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
NBC's coverage does leave a lot to be desired. For many events they just the Americans and the medal winners. Often times you can figure out who's going to win an event just by the fact that NBC is showing them.

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
Having to watch 3 straight hours of coverage each night just to see one or two favorite events is ridiculous! Why can't they show a complete event in its entirety, rather than spread-out in 10 minute segments? Every event should be covered and broadcast at a specific time. You can then watch what you want to watch and skip the events that don't interest you.

(The HD broadcast is spectacular!)

David

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
who wonders if this time, they'll make a DVD set of the Olympics like they've done the World Series?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
As far as coverage goes, I can't believe NBC didn't even show the Swedish team in the women's hockey medal presentation, not even in a wide shot of the whole podium. They showed the Americans getting the bronze, and then immediately the Canadians getting the gold. Then they cut to the Canadian national anthem completely ignoring any photo of the Swedes..

Jay

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Because you'll be forced to watch the entire program in hopes that you'll see all the commercials.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of commercials, there are way too many. I agree with David. I think there should be one or two dedicated 24/7 channels that show live/delayed events but in their entirety (more popular stuff live, lesser stuff on delay).

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike

Not to mention the HD SRC channel filling in the gaps left from the HD CBC coverage.:emoji_thumbsup:

All Olympics, all live, all day, all in HD!
Can't wait for tomorrow. So much hockey, so little HD PVR recording space. :D

Actually, I've been watching most of it live.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

You mean you guys don't have multi-sports option? In the UK the BBC digital service offers you the choice of watching the standard broadcast (usually big events like finals live plus longer recorded highlights of other events) or you can choose from two other sports (usually unedited live feeds) or a highlights option that gives you the latest news in a 15 minute loop. All have excellent picture and sound quality. Plus, you can often choose to watch the action with or without commentary.

Incidentally, I've just returned from a few days in Greece and there was no coverage at all of the Olympics as far as I could see. I felt I'd got withdrawal symptoms. ;)

Carl_G

Stunt Coordinator
To answer the original question - no, Olympics should not be on network TV. ESPNHD is perfect for that.

Will I make Karma mad for hating the Olympics? Nope. Karma already hates the Olympics for stepping on Karma's favorite show.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
You probably neglected to read the post that pointed that the Olympic telecast rights are granted to “… broadcasters who can gratantee the broadest coverage throughout their respective countries free of charge.”

Aside from that, ABC did not post a bid high enough to win the broadcast rights.

And if they had, do you seriously think that they would spend that much money and not put a significant coverage into their flagship network?

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
This is why I wished Disney/ABC had the Olympics package instead of NBC Universal.

The reason is simple: Disney can use ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, and possibly ABC Family Channel to run Olympic events LIVE around the clock. And we can of course see two channels of high-definition Olympic programming on ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD. :emoji_thumbsup:

This will allow ABC to keep their profitable daytime soap opera programs, and ABC could offer a three-hour nightly "compilation" program during the prime time hours.

Carl_G

Stunt Coordinator

You're missing the point - I was voicing my opinion that I (not whomever negotiated the rights) don't think the Olympics should be on network TV. And I freely admit that my driving motivation is not world peace or the free distribution of historic television to poor countries - I simply prefer to flip on Earl and The Office instead of watching people ski down a hill or polish the ice in front of a big heavy paperweight. And don't get me started on figure skating...

And based on the ratings, there are plenty of people who like the Olympics, so good for them. It's just personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks