What's new

Sheena, Queen of the Jungle 1956 Irish McCalla news (1 Viewer)

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
I honestly believe he would get a ton more backers if he got someone to write up a proper Kickstarter page for him... the current one is a mess and it's hard to tell what you're even contributing to. It needs to be straight to the point, centred around Sheena and actually mention HD and a release and whatnot.

Comic2read

Agent
Real Name
Frank
Want to see Sheena in color?

Those who donated and will donate will receive a link to an HD Sheena episode. The episode will be done in a special process to make it super sharp HD, the opening credits will be colorized by the same guy who colorized the Peter Jackson movie "And they shall not grow old", and the sound will be upgraded to Dolby stereo.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-me-...acebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fb_u_g

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I wish this project the best of luck because to me the show was iconic in being the first female action heroine TV series ever, and notwithstanding the weak scripts and cheap production values in horrible Mexico locations for those involved, Irish McCalla *became* Sheena in the same way Lynda Carter would become Wonder Woman a generation later.

That said, I've noticed no one's contributed to this project in five months and it seems to me that there are other venues where help should be requested, and it would be better if there was one Sheena fan with deep enough pockets willing to push things further along. At the moment, the odds look even longer than what John Ellis had to do to get Steve Canyon to DVD and we're all aware of his travails (even if he was successful).

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
I'd contribute if he put some effort in to his page so people actually knew what they were contributing to...

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I'd be interested in Sheena if it ever comes to fruition, even if it's not as good as the amazing work John Ellis did on Steve Canyon. Did he solicit funds, or was his project all out of his own pocket? Those three volumes of Steve Canyon are one of the best releases of a classic show ever.

Comic2read

Agent
Real Name
Frank
I'd be interested in Sheena if it ever comes to fruition, even if it's not as good as the amazing work John Ellis did on Steve Canyon. Did he solicit funds, or was his project all out of his own pocket? Those three volumes of Steve Canyon are one of the best releases of a classic show ever.

Peter Greenwood worked on the John Ellis Steve Canyon DVD from beginning to end. Peter said Ellis financed on his own. John is his friend and Peter did the work for free. Peter provided rare stills from the NBC library and arranged for Russell Johnson and Marion Ross for DVD commentary.

Comic2read

Agent
Real Name
Frank
I honestly believe he would get a ton more backers if he got someone to write up a proper Kickstarter page for him... the current one is a mess and it's hard to tell what you're even contributing to. It needs to be straight to the point, centred around Sheena and actually mention HD and a release and whatnot.

Peter added an update so feel free to donate if you like.

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
Peter added an update so feel free to donate if you like.
Yeah, that's one hell of an update. So incredibly vague. He needs to come up with a project, actually outline what it is and tell people what they'll end up with in the long run if they donate.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Yes but UCLA film archives has it under strict rules. Peter is hoping the Sheena copyright owner will help him acquire it with permissions.

And the Nassour family doesn't have a copy of it in their holdings? I find that hard to believe. I knew a collector many years ago who had a copy of it. I doubt UCLA holds the only existing print.

Comic2read

Agent
Real Name
Frank
Unfortunately the sons of The 2 Nassour Producers have a contentious relationship. One told me he threw away in the garbage all 26 Sheena reels because he couldn't find a buyer. He also had the Anita Ekberg, Debra Paget, and Irish McCalla AUDITION reels but he said he thinks they were stolen by moving men. If the other cousin has his father's reels, he doesn't like to talk about it. If he does its possible he may have the 35mm Sheena reels! So for now it's not an option.

Comic2read

Agent
Real Name
Frank
Peter Greenwood said now is the time for Sheena reels to be transferred to HD because the risk is they will all turn to vinegar. Peter said the Nassour Studios used CFI to make the reels but CFI was infamous for using expired chemicals that will cause reels to turn to vinegar.

Peter said CFI was known as "Can't Find It".

He heard one collector has Sheena reels and a big collection in a shed where the heat is guaranteed to turn them into vinegar over time.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If I had $10,000 to spare, I'd do it. I don't unfortunately and the sad reality I think is that this project is going to need a major benefactor willing to put up a lot or else it's going to require John Ellis style hardship. As much as I would love to see Irish in pristine HD quality, I don't think anyone's prepared to do that.

Comic2read

Agent
Real Name
Frank
As much as I would love to see Irish in pristine HD quality, I don't think anyone's prepared to do that.

Today Peter has one episode in HD to show what sharpness is possible. When he sends me a clip I will post it here.

He hopes it will bring in more donations. Jack, I too wish I could donate 10 grand.

I've seen a clip of his My Favorite Martian pilot in HD and my God I was amazed at the clarity. I thought I could peel a planet off my phone screen. I look forward how Sheena will look in HD for the first time anywhere.

dawnshadow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dawn
Bob could do a proper Kickstarter for this with an actual description of what he hopes to achieve, and I reckon it could be pulled off.

Unfortunately the current gofundme is a complete mess and anyone who stumbles upon it wouldn't know what the hell was trying to be achieved.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
It would appear the gentleman running this campaign is trying to raise over $100,000 to build his own transfer studio. If expectations were dialed back a bit and just the cost of restoring Sheena was a factor, there might be more backers.

As I’ve mentioned, if 35mm elements are gone, we can do a 4K scan from 16mm for $270 per episode. Factor in image stabilization and digital image clean up for another $200 and each show can get restored and preserved for less than $500.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks