What's new

Sheena, Queen of the Jungle 1956 Irish McCalla news (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
That Sheena "movie" was a nice find, especially in seeing most of the "missing" episode at last, which did establish a general continuity that had already existed. Hope the series can get that official release some day as it's the last Grail item among B/W shows for me.

SheenaFan

Grip
Real Name
Frank
I'd like to see the Post Office make an Irish McCalla as Sheena postage stamp. A painting would look nice. Write to: Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee c/o Stamp Development U.S. Postal Service 1735 North Lynn St., Suite 5013 Arlington, VA 22209-6432

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Jack P said:
That Sheena "movie" was a nice find, especially in seeing most of the "missing" episode at last, which did establish a general continuity that had already existed. Hope the series can get that official release some day as it's the last Grail item among B/W shows for me.
Did they do any other compilation films besides that one?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I was about to bump this thread! I suspect the five episodes will just be other variants of PD episodes that have been available in the past and won't be new to Sheena enthusiasts. The best quality versions of these episodes were the ones put out on VHS by Moviecraft so hopefully they'll match the quality there.

The 1984 Sheena movie was only released before on a double-sided DVD so on that level, that will be an upgrade. The Nolin series had been released in two sets by Sony on 6 DVDs total. In theory the Nolin episodes should be on four discs then, so draw your own inferences on how much of a quality loss that would mean. As a stand-alone single-sided re-issue of the 84 movie, it's a bargain in that regard.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Maybe if this sells well (and at under $20 it should!) Mill Creek will work on getting an Irish McCalla DVD set out.
I have no information on what eps are available from that series, but I for one would like to see it happen.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
16 of 26 episodes have been available in various PD releases over the years and a "lost" 17th episode is contained within a trilogy of episodes that were re-edited into a Sheena "movie" that was also released on a PD DVD.

The quality I doubt could ever get better than it already is on the PD releases. If only any kind of deal could be struck with the Nassour heirs for the original prints of all 26 episodes (and the color version of the pilot that UCLA has) that would be the ultimate Sheena set and it needs to be recognized as the true forerunner to later female action shows like Wonder Woman etc.

Comic2read

Agent
Real Name
Frank
Big news on Sheena DVD starring Irish McCalla. Peter J. Greenwood who made the DVD sets for My Living Doll and My Favorite Martian is now the agent for the Irish McCalla estate and is working to make all 26 episodes HD transfer from the reel to DVD. With extras like a documentary and a 3D poster.

Mr. Greenwood has started a GoFundMe page for this project. If you want to see a high quality Sheena, Queen of the Jungle, any donation helps:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-me-...aEWeahgQHVLZsuwRHvGlq7LQV5YYOIw6oo6_bKsitsmzA

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Much as I would like to see this come off, I have to admit I am skeptical of any of these type of funding projects. $100,000 is not going to be raised off nickel and dime level contributions (which is what a $40-$50 contribution would be).

Greenwood used to post here but then kind of fell off the radar.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I read the go fund me page. The $100,000 he wants to raise is to "build a small studio to restore more film and photography." Sheena just happens to be his first project. I wish him luck, but it doesn't sound very profitable since the series is in the public domain. I mean, he wants to raise $100,000 to build a studio and restore the show, but he doesn't have ownership of it, which means any budget DVD company can copy it and release it on their own label down the line, which would bite into his future sales. Also, any retro TV channel can air it for free. It doesn't sound practical to me, but it seems he's not in it for the money, but just wants to preserve old TV shows for future generations, so I wish him luck.

Last edited:

Comic2read

Agent
Real Name
Frank
Peter is getting all the ducks lined up in a row. He is going to have a documentary with her sons, a producers son and possibly her stunt double. Access to thousands of negatives and 35mm clippings of deleted scenes Irish had collected. Original artwork by a top artist. Peter is going to work with the Sheena copyright owner. No one else will be able to copy this DVD set.

Peter needs to raise at least $4000 to release several episodes direct from the reel in a HD transfer. To show how superior it will look to what's out there.

I've written before here as Sheenafan and have donated. If you really want to finally see this show restored state of the art on DVD, donate.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-me-...aEWeahgQHVLZsuwRHvGlq7LQV5YYOIw6oo6_bKsitsmzA

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Its a noble effort but not realistic. How many people are that interested in this 60+ year old show? A pinup who fights is an interesting premise but I just don't think there are enough people who remember the series, plus DVD sales are plummeting. Ten or fifteen years ago this would have had a better chance of success.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
It would be nice to see Irish McCalla's "Sheena" finally get some broader recognition for the fact that she was the first woman action heroine on TV, in effect paving the way for the likes of Lynda Carter etc. but I have to unfortunately agree that the timing has come later than it should have. Of course if a miracle happens and this does come to pass, I will certainly be the first to buy it as it is my one remaining 50s Grail I've wanted to see in a quality release.

Comic2read

Agent
Real Name
Frank
Sheena_collage.jpg
Actually timing is good as the new Sheena, Queen of the Jungle movie has been greenlit. One of the actresses being considered to audition is incredibly beautiful and was an Oscar presenter.

If this Irish McCalla show is a Grail you want to see on an official DVD, it'll need your help by donating.

Comic2read

Agent
Real Name
Frank
Once Peter Greenwood raises $3000, he can release five 16mm reels to hd dvd with possibly one episode that has never been seen before.

And an Irish McCalla girlie film that has never been shown complete. What's on the Sheena website is only 1/5 to save the rest for a DVD.

I've seen the finished 3D color art of Irish and it is very photo realistic.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-me-...acebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fb_u_g

Comic2read

Agent
Real Name
Frank
Sheena restoration update. The Sheena copyright owner wrote he is happy to help in this project going forward. Now Peter Greenwood is just waiting for the paperwork for Sheena rights.

Peter needs donations to pay for storage for the Sheena 16 mm films and to finance an HD transfer for one episode to show as a sample. Peter showed me an HD transfer of the My Favorite Martian pilot and I was amazed how sharp and vivid the planet and rocket ship looked for black and white.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
It's going to need a big donor or someone willing to take all the risks we saw John Ellis do with "Steve Canyon". Much as I would love to see this come off, it's going to have get some more grassroots attention elsewhere or get one generous Sheena fan to pick up the bulk of the tab.

Comic2read

Agent
Real Name
Frank
It's going to need a big donor or someone willing to take all the risks we saw John Ellis do with "Steve Canyon". Much as I would love to see this come off, it's going to have get some more grassroots attention elsewhere or get one generous Sheena fan to pick up the bulk of the tab.

I think that's a good analysis. I've donated $175 but that's about all I can spare. I've posted to Sheena and Jungle Girl fan groups but unfortunately only 7 of 1000 fans donated which is disappointing especially when many reply they want this DVD. Like you wrote it'll be a grassroots campaign but will take longer. One thing that will help Peter is one episode has never been seen before. Maybe people will donate to see that. And one of the actresses in it has been found and replied to questions. She might be in DVD interview.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks