What's new

Sharp AQUOS LCD Televisions (1 Viewer)

StephenGencs

Agent
Are they better than the Pioneer plasmas?
Are they better than the other LCD's out in the market today?

Thanks,
Gencs

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
The last time I looked at them against any serious competition, the Aquos line was better than anybody elses LCDs.

As for plasmas... ehh. Plasmas leave a bad taste in my mouth, but I don't have anything firm to go on, honestly. There is a lot of bad plasma out there; there are some good ones, I'm sure.

Leo Kerr

Dean_S

Second Unit
I have the Aquos 37" and I'm pleased with the picture. I tend to think most of the better plasmas (like the Pioneer or Panny) have slightly better pictures but didn't want to worry about burn-in and shorter life of plasma for this TV since it's my bedroom set and I fall asleep often with the TV on (many extra hours and news channels have tickers that will burn-in plasmas), I also watch 4:3 material in 4:3 mode with side bars since I can't stand stretch modes. I still wouldn't trade my direct-view 40" set for any of the new technologies...it's picture just plain blows away the Aquos IMHO.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
A new question now.

Sharp is rolling out the successor to the current Aquos models. The new line of Aquos has a "G" in the product name, and they replace the previous "H" models.

(As an aside, I have to give Sharp some credit for going in REVERSE alphabetical order! But what will they do when they reach "A" I wonder?)

My question to the techies here is, what is improved about these new "G" models of Aquos?

I see that the size of the screens is up a bit -- the 30" LC-30HV4U becomes the 32" LC-32G4U, for example. I see that the silver metal border around the screens has shrunken a bit.

But is there anything so amazing (from a technological perspective) that would make any reasonable person jump uo the extra thousand bucks to the new model? Two extra inches of screen isn't quite enough reason for me.

($1,900 for the LC-30HV4U versus ~$2,900 for the LC-32G4U)

Richard_B

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking at these in the 37"size. When I was snooping around looking for info on them it appears the newer models have a slightly better build to the LCD panels. The newer models have more adjustabilities, examples I found are in the color temp settings, they also had more stretch modes if I remember correctly. I really liked the 37" Sharps but at this time the price is what held me back. I ended up with a 34" JVC and I am very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks