What's new

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954) ….coming from WAC (1 Viewer)

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
The recent Broadway revival of the stage musical version of GIGI took the song "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" away from the Honoré Lachaille character. However, they gave it to Mamita and Aunt Alicia to sing. Given the fact that the two women were preparing Gigi to be a courtesan, I thought the change made the song even ickier.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Fantastic news. I was under the impression that the OCN was severely damaged when SBFSB was blown up to 70MM in the 1960's. I'm wondering what source(s) was/were used? Perhaps there were separation masters made originally? A definite purchase in it's fourth incarnation.

I'm also curious about the factors that made this restorations problematic. Did these issues affect both versions, or was one in significantly worse shape?

I hope WB will be able to continue to give the same treatment to other films, including long sought-after titles that require extra attention and expense.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
I've never seen this film--I'll have to pick up this new Blu-ray and fix that!

I hope this announcement bodes well for other problematic titles (not naming names, of course ;) ).
I've been following the Release Raintree County on Blu-Ray/DVD page for years thanks to your continuing efforts to spread the word about it. So hopefully it's in the pipeline at Warner Archive, especially given that the FilmStruck streaming version looks good, but I'm sure a Blu-Ray would look better.

(I also logged back in after years of inactivity just to say that, haha. Maybe I'll stick around.)

But in all honesty, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is one of my absolute favorite MGM musicals, so I'm glad to see it'll finally get a Blu-ray release.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I made a little joke and then saw Robert's post. Never mind.

Mark
Funny thing, as this time around I made a comment - but wasn't joking - and then saw Robert's post, as well.
After deleting, to keep the release of "7 Brides" on topic - per Robert - and I continued reading on.
Then I came upon Post #66 by Thomas T and Post #71 by Mark VH; which I dare say I concurred with both of them wholeheartedly.
With that said, I have nothing more to add.
ON TOPIC: The excitement from yesterday's release announcement remains just as strong, today.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Funny thing, as this time a made a comment - but wasn't joking - and then saw Robert's post, as well.
After deleting, to keep the release of "7 Brides" on topic - per Robert - and I continued reading on.
Then I came upon the post by Mark VH; which I dare say I concurred with wholeheartedly.
With that said, I have nothing more to add.
ON TOPIC: The excitement from yesterday's release announcement remains just as strong on this very following day.
I'm going to allow the discussion to proceed as long as the thread doesn't become politicize nor the main focus of this thread.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
AFAIK, 7B47B was heavily damaged during the optical process, creating 70mm prints.

A myriad of reasons.

Sep masters may have been improperly produced, orienting more toward a normal filtration and exposure of Eastman 5248.

But the stock wasn’t. Therefore seps would probably answer incorrectly.

Finest surviving materials should be extant portions of OCN, as well as one or two early IPs, produced pre-damage.

There’s a story here to be told, of WB’s continuing challenge to save their library.

I believe everyone will be thrilled when 7B arrives.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Well then, here I go.
To my mind, the only truly creepy thing about "Gigi" is the title song.
It's a terrible song. Louis Jourdan can't sell it. And its all the more uncomfortable watching him attempt a Rex Harrison.
From a creative standpoint it remains unbearable being subjected to Lerner and Lowe's forced and failed attempt at giving us another version of "I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face'. Case in point, "Accustomed" is the Glengarry that can be sold and whistled; whereas "Gigi" is the property that can not.
But, then again, its the only bad song in the entire film; therefore I sure do hope that WAC will consider a full restoration of "Gigi"; as its greatest attributes still stand the test of time.
Until then, its "7 Brides" for me.

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Apologies to anyone who appreciates “little girls,” and may have been offended by my earlier posting.

My comment should not be construed as negative toward any individual that might even whistle that tune...

Everyone has a natural born right to watch Gigi.
No offense taken (at least by me). :)

Reactions: PMF

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
It would be amazing if, since this "expensive" resoration has come, Warners could give us not only titles like Around the World in 80 Days, but also titles like The Broadway Melody, the Hollywood Revue of 1929 or The Crowd.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Have you seen it restored? Or do you just know from talking to fellow Restoration experts? :)

I know from speaking with those involved, who have seen it.

We have our own language, and form of communication

Rather like twins

And I trust them.

As to Gigi...

I love the film.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I've been following the Release Raintree County on Blu-Ray/DVD page for years thanks to your continuing efforts to spread the word about it. So hopefully it's in the pipeline at Warner Archive, especially given that the FilmStruck streaming version looks good, but I'm sure a Blu-Ray would look better.

(I also logged back in after years of inactivity just to say that, haha. Maybe I'll stick around.)

But in all honesty, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is one of my absolute favorite MGM musicals, so I'm glad to see it'll finally get a Blu-ray release.

It's great to see you here, Albert! Don't be a stranger. :) Thanks for your support of the Facebook page!

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I gonna return my copy on Blu Ra\y of WC Fields' It's the Old Army Game for credit. Can't have a character in a film named Elmer Prettywillie. It won't do M'Lord!!!! As if I would? No way.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
This is what I remember from Thank Heavens For Little Girls:

For little girls get
Bigger every day
Thank heaven for little girls
They grow up in
The most delightful way.

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I never understand the "creepy" factor, sorry. Read the lyric, listen to the song - this grandfatherly character is not saying he WANTS a pre-pubescent girl, for God's sake. He's saying that little girls grow up to be delightful women. Do people find it "creepy" when an older person says about a child "what a beautiful young girl (or young lady, depending on one's vernacular) - or what a handsome young boy (because, you know, women say that all the time). I'm so bored of this stuff, frankly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks