What's new

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954) ….coming from WAC (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Even though I love MGM musicals I never have seen more than a few minutes of this, it just never grabs me. I prefer my MGM musicals with Gene Kelly and/or Judy Garland. I will probably consider this one in a future sale but very happy for those who have been waiting for this.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've never seen this film--I'll have to pick up this new Blu-ray and fix that!

I hope this announcement bodes well for other problematic titles (not naming names, of course ;) ).
It's a really good film . . . and also a bit different. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. By the way, I'm totally astonished by this news. I thought this film was beyond hope of restoration.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
This is great news! I thought this title would be a long, long time in coming to blu ray.
Really? You thought that? No, sir, the "long, long time coming to blu ray" would be applied to movies made or set in neighboring areas such as Ireland. Regardless, I'll be buying this one, too.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Post Edit - a few hours later:
I just realized that "Seven Brides" is not set anywhere near Ireland.
I got it mixed up with "Brigadoon".
But I'm sure everyone here got the idea, anyway.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Even though I love MGM musicals I never have seen more than a few minutes of this, it just never grabs me.[...]
How does a package that gives you BOTH widescreen versions, grab you?
Or from a studio who's track record for transfers have always been spot-on beautiful?
Or "An expensive and beautifully produced restoration"?
That alone should grab a-n-y-o-n-e.
I, too, have never been able to make it through "7 Brides";
but I'm now certain that it was due to the fact that I first saw it on a VHS;
which means, in truth, I've never really seen it at all.
Based on the deluge of posts that came within these first few hours of this thread being established,
I have a truly great confidence on the tastes of our HTF members on this one.
Can't wait. I know I'm in for a real treat.
This is one hands-down Pre-Order for me, my friend.
Therefore, Randy, take the adventure, too.:popcorn:

Last edited:

CarlLaFong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Wheeler
Now, where the heck do I order this? I can't find a place to order or pre-order. Sorry if this is a dopey question, but I can't find it on amazon, warner archive, etc.

Reactions: PMF

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Now, where the heck do I order this? I can't find a place to order or pre-order. Sorry if this is a dopey question, but I can't find it on amazon, warner archive, etc.
Not dopey. The news of this release is so fresh it is currently not available to preorder. I am sure that will change over the next few days.

CarlLaFong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Wheeler
Not dopey. The news of this release is so fresh it is currently not available to preorder. I am sure that will change over the next few days.
Thanks! I have a credit on amazon at the moment, so I'll be watching there...

Reactions: PMF

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
May the Seventh For Seven Brides For Seven Brothers!
#MAYTHE7 #7B47B

SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS (1954)
Two Disc Special Edition
Run Time 102:00
Subtitles English SDH

Disc One - ORIGINAL CINEMASCOPE ASPECT RATIO
BD50
NEW 2018 1080p HD MASTER
16 X 9 LETTERBOX, ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.55:1
Uncompressed DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1 - English
Special Features:
Audio Commentary by Stanley Donen (2004)
"MGM Jubilee Overture" Short Subject, Remastered in 1080p HD and Uncompressed DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1
"Sobbin' Women: The Making of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," hosted by Howard Keel (SD)
Radio City Music Hall Premiere - July 22, 1954 (SD)
MGM's 30th Anniversary" (1954 MGM Newsreel) (SD)

Disc Two - ALTERNATE “WIDESCREEN” VERSION
BD25
FIRST TIME IN 1080p HD
16 X 9 WIDESCREEN, ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 1.77:1
Uncompressed DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 STEREO - English

Get ready for one of the liveliest, leaping-est, sassiest and happiest musicals ever, as Warner Archive Collection proudly unveils its Two-Disc Special Edition Blu-ray release of the Oscar-winning 1954 MGM classic "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers"!

Directed by Stanley Donen ("Singin' in the Rain"), and starring Jane Powell ("Royal Wedding," "Hit the Deck") and Howard Keel ("Annie Get Your Gun," "Kiss Me Kate"), "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" was nominated for four Academy(R) Awards and won for Best Scoring of a Musical Picture. This Western musical is distinguished by a wonderful score of original songs from the team of Gene de Paul & Johnny Mercer ("L'il Abner"), and brilliant, acrobatic dancing scenes choreographed by Michael Kidd ("The Band Wagon," "Guys and Dolls").

Adam (Howard Keel), the eldest of seven brothers, goes to town to get a wife. He convinces Milly (Jane Powell) to marry him that same day. After they return to his backwoods home she discovers he has six brothers -- all living in his cabin. Milly sets out to reform the uncouth siblings, who are anxious to get wives of their own. Then, after reading about the Roman capture of the Sabine women, Adam develops an inspired solution to his brothers' loneliness...kidnap the women they want from the surrounding villages.

BONUS! Soundtrack now available from Water Tower Music!
Click here to get the Soundtrack to this Best Score Academy Award(R)-winning song-and-dance-filled comedy with music by Gene DePaul and lyrics by Johnny Mercer: https://lnk.to/sevenbridesAa

1. Main Title (Seven Brides For Seven Brothers) Adolph Deutsch, MGM Studio Orchestra 2. Bless Yore Beautiful Hide Howard Keel 3. Do Unto Udders Adolph Deutsch, MGM Studio Orchestra 4. Bless Yore Beautiful Hide (Reprise) Howard Keel 5. Wonderful, Wonderful Day Jane Powell 6. Adam In Treetop Adolph Deutsch, MGM Studio Orchestra 7. When You're In Love Jane Powell 8. Goin' Co'tin' Jane Powell, Tommy Rall, Russ Tamblyn, Marc Platt, Matt Mattox, Jacques D'Amboise, Jeff Richards, Howard Hudson, Gene Lanham, Robert Wacker 9. Barn Dance Adolph Deutsch, MGM Studio Orchestra 10. Barn Raising Adolph Deutsch, MGM Studio Orchestra 11. When You're In Love (Reprise) Howard Keel 12. Brotherly Advice / Lonesome Winter Adolph Deutsch, MGM Studio Orchestra 13. Lament (Lonesome Polecat) Matt Maddox 14. Lovesick Adolph Deutsch, MGM Studio Orchestra 15. Sobbin' Women Howard Keel, Tommy Rall, Russ Tamblyn, Matt Mattox, Alan Davies, C. Parlato, Marc Platt, Robert Wacker, Gene Lanham, M. Spergel 16. Kidnapped and Chase Adolph Deutsch, MGM Studio Orchestra 17. June Bride Virginia Gibson, Barbara Ames, Betty Allan, Betty Noyes, Marie Vernon, Norma Zimmer 18. June Bride (Reprise) Jane Powell, Virginia Gibson, Barbara Ames, Betty Allan, Betty Noyes, Marie Vernon, Norma Zimmer 19. Spring, Spring, Spring Howard Keel, Tommy Rall, Russ Tamblyn, Matt Mattox, Alan Davies, C. Parlato, Robert Wacker, Gene Lanham, M. Spergel, Bill Lee, Virginia Gibson, Barbara Ames, Betty Allan, Betty Noyes, Marie Vernon, Norma Zimmer 20. When You're In Love (Reprise) (Outtake)Howard Keel, Jane Powell 21. End Title (Seven Brides For Seven Brothers) Adolph Deutsch, MGM Studio Orchestra 22. Bless Yore Beautiful Hide (Rehearsal Recording) Howard Keel 23. Goin' Co'tin' (Demo Recording) Stanley Donen 24. Queen Of The May (Demo Recording) Stanley Donen 25. When You're In Love (Demo Recording) Stanley Donen 26. Spring, Spring, Spring(Demo Recording) Johnny Mercer 27. Sobbin' Women (Demo Recording) Johnny Mercer, Gene DePaul

View attachment 46136
Kinda surprised they didn’t wait till July 7th (7/7) to release SBFSB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks