PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Kinda surprised they didn’t wait till July 7th (7/7) to release SBFSB.
Funny you should write this when you did.
Your Post is time-stamped at being 21 minutes shy of exactly 7 hours from when this had thread started.
And just for the record, 21 is a multiple of 7:wacko:

Last edited:
Reactions: ahollis

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
How did you guess? ;)
Well, Andrew, it's like this...gossip travels fast...especially when it all begins from within a small coastal village.
But you know me, I've never been one to make waves. Nope. Not me.
BTW, Mr. Budgell, are you in need of a Taylor? Um, I mean, Tailor. Geez, I wonder where that one came from?:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew Budgell

Astairefan

Second Unit
Real Name
Neil Powell
Kinda surprised they didn’t wait till July 7th (7/7) to release SBFSB.
But don't they want them to be June brides? ;)
Seriously, though, this is absolutely great news, and they can't put it up for pre-order soon enough for my tastes! I do wonder, again, if this means there is hope for at least double-feature releases on blu, since this is their first release to offer us two NEW transfers in one set (as opposed to one new HD transfer and a SD transfer as an extra, like The Big Sleep, or a new HD transfer alongside an old HD transfer that has probably long since paid for itself, like their release of Superman the Movie).

ahollis

Premium
Real Name
Allen
What is the release date? Today is the 7th. The 17th is a Thursday. I read it as May 7th but that can’t be right.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Was the mention of the soundtrak CD or download in the first post just a commercial or is that also included with the blu ray set.

. It sounds quite good on Spotify.

On another topic. You would think a new restoration of this film would have been included in the recently concluded Turner Classic Film Festival. Perhaps this has only been restored for home video and there won't be any theatrical showings.

Last edited:

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
Was the mention of the soundtrak CD or download in the first post just a commercial or is that also included with the blu ray set.

. It sounds quite good on Spotify.

On another topic. You would think a new restoration of this film would have been included in the recently concluded Turner Classic Film Festival. Perhaps this has only been restored for home video and there won't be any theatrical showings.
Another possibility is that the restoration wasn’t ready in time to be presented at the festival, as happened with the revised restoration of Spartacus a few years ago.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Another possibility is that the restoration wasn’t ready in time to be presented at the festival, as happened with the revised restoration of Spartacus a few years ago.
Anything is possible, of course, but if the film is apparently ready for blu ray release and the festival was just last week, it seems that it would have been ready. In the past it has been a few months , up to a year, or never for a film restoration after being featured at the Turner Festival, to make its way on to blu ray. "The Awful Truth" being a recent example. A little premature to have this conversation now because we don't have a release date yet for the blu ray.

Mark Booth

Premium
For anyone unfamilar with the MGM 30th Anniversary Overture included in HD on this release.

There's a bit better quality version of that here:

It will be nice to have the remastered 1080p version on the Blu-ray disc!

Mark

Last edited:

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
Anything is possible, of course, but if the film is apparently ready for blu ray release and the festival was just last week, it seems that it would have been ready. In the past it has been a few months , up to a year, or never for a film restoration after being featured at the Turner Festival, to make its way on to blu ray. "The Awful Truth" being a recent example. A little premature to have this conversation now because we don't have a release date yet for the blu ray.
Perhaps, though I’ve just thought of another potential reason why Warner wouldn’t show off the new restoration, though I sincerely hope it’s not the reason. The reason I’m thinking of is that Warner might be worried about offending feminists with it’s subject matter (ridiculous as that may seem). I know of this because when I was taking a film class in community college, my professor asked me to give him suggestions on what to show in the class and I suggested this film for musicals. He decided not to show the film partially because of the reason suggested earlier though he conceded it was a good choice.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Heard so much about this film, never have seen it.
Onto the Wish List it goes.
Never seen it? Boy are you in for a real treat. I saw it many times where I worked.I also saw the blow-up to 70mm version. It is one of the all-time greats in musicals. Jane Powell is unforgettable. It towers above most other musicals.Hopefully THE STUDENT PRINCE will also be released on bluray as it too,is long overdue.

Reactions: PMF and Flashgear

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
...and the Harvey Girls...but I think SBFSB was more of a lost grail blu ray for me because they kept saying it was problematic and expensive.

Reactions: PMF

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I'm guessing only the scope version is restored and the other is kind of a bonus thing?

Also, why not a UHD release? If they did such a good job of restoration why not?

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Perhaps, though I’ve just thought of another potential reason why Warner wouldn’t show off the new restoration, though I sincerely hope it’s not the reason. The reason I’m thinking of is that Warner might be worried about offending feminists with it’s subject matter (ridiculous as that may seem). I know of this because when I was taking a film class in community college, my professor asked me to give him suggestions on what to show in the class and I suggested this film for musicals. He decided not to show the film partially because of the reason suggested earlier though he conceded it was a good choice.
You’re probably correct. We live in a very sensitive age.

Remember, The Devils cannot be viewed. Nor can Song of The a South.

Between #MeToo, Mr. Cosby, Mr. Polanski, and Mr. Weinstein...

This may be the same reason that there’s no restoration of Gigi.

It comes down to public awareness, Mr. Chevalier (who already had problems with the Nazis), and his penchant for “little girls.”

A sad state of affairs, but who knows how viewing Gigi in a restored form, with proper colors, might affect otherwise normal people.

Same situation as with the horrific spate of bank and convenience store holdups, following the release of Bonnie and Clyde.

We must protect everyone from ourselves.

Or possibly a DCP wasn’t ready.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaenergyus