What's new

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954) ….coming from WAC (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I never understand the "creepy" factor, sorry. Read the lyric, listen to the song - this grandfatherly character is not saying he WANTS a pre-pubescent girl, for God's sake. He's saying that little girls grow up to be delightful women. Do people find it "creepy" when an older person says about a child "what a beautiful young girl (or young lady, depending on one's vernacular) - or what a handsome young boy (because, you know, women say that all the time). I'm so bored of this stuff, frankly.

Wasn't trying to infer that Chevalier was desiring very young girls, and I understand the intent of the song, especially the chorus lyric. Perhaps what makes it a bit creepy for me is that it's being sung by an actor I really do not care for. Just me. :)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I never understand the "creepy" factor, sorry. Read the lyric, listen to the song - this grandfatherly character is not saying he WANTS a pre-pubescent girl, for God's sake. He's saying that little girls grow up to be delightful women. Do people find it "creepy" when an older person says about a child "what a beautiful young girl (or young lady, depending on one's vernacular) - or what a handsome young boy (because, you know, women say that all the time). I'm so bored of this stuff, frankly.

Apparently there were modern concerns with "Little Girls" during the 2015 Broadway revivial of the musical based on the MGM film. Instead of the song being sung by Honoré Lachaille, it was sung by
Madame Alvarez ( Mamita) and Aunt Alicia, Gigi's grandmother and great aunt. In addition they made Gaston Lachaille closer in age to Gigi, so that it wasn't the story of a 40 year old man with a 15 or 17 year old girl, though obviously Leslie Caron was older when the film was made.

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Modern concerns - for a period piece set in what year? THAT is the problem here - everyone is putting their own stuff on this - the movie is a period piece that takes place at the turn of the twentieth century. Different time, different world. But of course, let's just paint over history for our delicate modern sensibilities. Want a fun game? Imagine a screening right now of Louis Malle's Pretty Baby. Just imagine that. He'd probably be arrested if he made that film today and the film would probably be burned. That's where we're headed folks.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Thank you Warner Brothers for bringing some much needed happiness into my life.
This announcement has certainly lifted my spirits.

I'm another who had written this title off, but to get the matted version as well is totally beyond belief.

Doug.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Want a fun game? Imagine a screening right now of Louis Malle's Pretty Baby. Just imagine that. He'd probably be arrested if he made that film today and the film would probably be burned. That's where we're headed folks.

As would no doubt Malle's Murmur Of The Heart! And if Taxi Driver were made today, Scorsese would have to make Jodie Foster's character 16 years old and played by an 18 year old actress.

And to stay on track (to keep the moderator happy :)), of the remaining MGM musicals I wouldn't mind blu rays of The Pirate, Words And Music and Meet Me In Las Vegas (not a great musical but that Frankie And Johnny production number is sensational).

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
. . . of the remaining MGM musicals I wouldn't mind blu rays of . . . . Meet Me In Las Vegas (not a great musical but that Frankie And Johnny production number is sensational).

I agree. I agree. A thousand times I agree. Cyd Charisse, it seems, has her detractors - there are some really peculiar people in this world - but no other dancer could have done that routine so expressively and so erotically.

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alistair
Post Edit - a few hours later:
I just realized that "Seven Brides" is not set anywhere near Ireland.
I got it mixed up with "Brigadoon".
But I'm sure everyone here got the idea, anyway.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Don't you mean Scotland?

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
About time! Let's hope Warner is aggressively pursuing a campaign for High Society, The Student Prince, Holiday in Mexico, Showboat, Small Town Girl, Nancy Goes to Rio, The Great Ziegfeld, Ziegfeld Girl, For Me and My Gal, Royal Wedding, The Belle of New York, That Midnight Kiss, The Toast of New Orleans, Two Weeks With Love, Three Little Words, Million Dollar Mermaid, Easy to Love, and, Bathing Beauty - my all-time favorite Esther Williams musical. It's rewarding to see Seven Brides finally coming to Blu. A costly restoration...yes. A necessary one? Absolutely! Buy, Buy, Buy this one until it breaks the bank and turns the heads of execs who still think classics don't sell.

Now, if we could get more 3-strip Technicolor from Warner Bros. too - National Velvet, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, Scaramouche, Ivanhoe, etc. Keep 'em coming, boys. And many, MANY thanks for this pending release. Cannot wait!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Imagine a screening right now of Louis Malle's Pretty Baby. Just imagine that. He'd probably be arrested if he made that film today and the film would probably be burned. That's where we're headed folks.

Once again I agree with you. PRETTY BABY did not "creep me out." I thought it was a beautifully photographed and, yes, controversial period drama that explored a small corner of hidden society that nowadays would be absolutely verboten as a theatrical film in the U.S. It has not showed up on Blu-ray anywhere, and I was even surprised when a DVD emerged. It is true that society mores bend (and sometimes break) this way and that. GIGI, which does not have any of PRETTY BABY's stigma, nonetheless turns me off. We're all different, Bruce, and we all express our opinions here as you do, thus the term "forum." Let's enjoy the diversity of perspectives, even if we find some of them vacuous.

Back to the topic at hand: I like SEVEN BRIDES, although its studio-bound sets are a bit distracting when one really wants to see authentic mountain vistas, there are enough memorable moments (the barn raising sequence in particular) to keep me interested. Still, I have always wanted to like it more, and it looks as though the coming Blu-ray might precipitate that. And as Mr. Harris indicated somewhere above, the underscore is wonderful, and I prefer it to the songs (I would say the same for GIGI, if only I could find a copy of it isolated from dialog and sound effects).

Last edited:

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Apparently, the reason they used those fake-looking backdrops is because their budget was cut down because no one believed in the project. It ended up being one of the highest-grossing MGM films ever. It has always looked faded-out to me. Hopefully this full restoration will be impressive. Robert Harris indicated Warner Bros. has spent a lot of money and time to get this right. I'm so happy they are including both versions which are completely different takes of each shot.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I agree. I agree. A thousand times I agree. Cyd Charisse, it seems, has her detractors - there are some really peculiar people in this world - but no other dancer could have done that routine so expressively and so erotically.
Cyd Charisse actually has detractors? Unimaginable. Glad I've never been stuck at a dinner with such individuals..

Last edited:

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Apparently, the reason they used those fake-looking backdrops is because their budget was cut down because no one believed in the project. It ended up being one of the highest-grossing MGM films ever. It has always looked faded-out to me. Hopefully this full restoration will be impressive. Robert Harris indicated Warner Bros. has spent a lot of money and time to get this right. I'm so happy they are including both versions which are completely different takes of each shot.

I have read that funds from 7BF7B's budget were diverted to Brigadoon's budget as Brigadoon, a known stage hit, was seen as the film with more box office potential. Of course, the opposite occurred when the films were released.

I've always kind of liked the "fake" background scenery of both films as they show the enormous talent of the artistic/scenic team MGM had under contract at the time. Plus, being musicals, it gives them more of a fantasy element.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I have read that funds from 7BF7B's budget were diverted to Brigadoon's budget as Brigadoon, a known stage hit, was seen as the film with more box office potential. Of course, the opposite occurred when the films were released.

Some of the accounts are even starker. Resources, studio and staff time being devoted to Brigadoon (an Arthur Freed production) instead of 7B (merely a Jack Cummings production). Moreover, reports of Gene Kelly's behaviour are scary, treating Brigadoon as his own and walking over some cast and crew menbers.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Actually, it’s the underscore that quite beautiful, especially in the closing moments.

Yes! One can hear the work of Andre Previn and Conrad Salinger througout Gigi. Two of the best people to ever work in film music. It was a real loss that Previn decided to leave the movies. And Salinger's arrangements impact most of the classic MGM musicals, one of the strongest people MGM ever had.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks