What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Schindler's List announcement soon. (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Of course Universal does separate DD/DTS versions...Jaws, Jurassic Park and The Lost World all had separate DD and DTS versions, as well as fullscreen versions. It's never happened with a Spielberg 2-disc set, though, at least not that I can remember...those just come in fullscreen and widescreen, with DD and DTS on both.

Seth_S

Second Unit
Rain,

I'm guess there won't be a separate DTS and DD releases if only the DTS version spanned to discs - DTS sales would probably be hurt by people wanting the film on a single disc.

Personally, I think that the difference between DTS and DD is so minimal that in cases like this they should do away with the DTS track so the film will fit on one disc, or have a separate DTS version as you've been suggesting. Before the DTS fanatics jump down my throat, I think that having to get up to switch discs detracts from the experience more than only having DD 5.1 audio.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
If they do release just one version with DTS and the movie separated on two discs (ala Lord of the Rings - Extended Version), who cares? Why not optimize audio and video? I bet this is what they do; and a third disc with extras. This would be perfect.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I'm just glad to hear that SL is coming out this year :). Everything else is secondary ;) . Let's hope this thread is based on reality and not some speculative false start.

Joel

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Even without a DTS track, wasn't this movie 1.85? So all of the bit rate will be dedicated to picture (and not black bars savings as in a 2.35 film) and if they need to spread it over 2 discs for quality reasons I'm okay with that. Remember they had to split Godfather 2 over 2 discs (at Coppola's insistence when he saw the quality of it scrunched onto one disc) and it's only 3 minutes longer than Schindler's list, and someone noted earlier in the thread that a B&W film would require a higher bit rate.

But then again, we are arguing over specs that are about as unofficial as it gets (until MarcinL posts that much-anticipated proof he alluded to) so this may just be us blowing a bunch of hot air out of our... :D

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I don't mean this in a harsh way, but a lot of people on these boards strike me as having rather whiny attitudes. Nobody's ever guaranteed the theater experience would be perfect, but I find it hard to believe that every theater but the ones around where I live are so horrible that you would never want to visit a theater again. Mountains out of molehills, in my opinion.
I think you missed my point. I love the theatrical experience. And I'm smart enough to pace myself with the sodas and popcorn also because I refuse to leave the movie.

I was just making the point that I think some people are taking the news that the movie will be spread over two discs rather seriously. They say that's not how it was in the theaters. Home theater is different than visiting a cinema. That has plus and minuses. I find being able to take breaks at home a huge plus and if there's one built into the movie (changing discs), I can live with that. Some people appearently have issues with that. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, just that I'm glad I don't watch movies with them bacause that would drive me nuts.

And I'd like to know what theaters you visit because I've yet to visit one with clean floors (unless you're hitting the first showing of the day).

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I was just making the point that I think some people are taking the news that the movie will be spread over two discs rather seriously. They say that's not how it was in the theaters. Home theater is different than visiting a cinema. That has plus and minuses. I find being able to take breaks at home a huge plus and if there's one built into the movie (changing discs), I can live with that. Some people appearently have issues with that. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, just that I'm glad I don't watch movies with them bacause that would drive me nuts.

And I'd like to know what theaters you visit because I've yet to visit one with clean floors (unless you're hitting the first showing of the day).
I see your point, though I'll always prefer the theater experience. As for the floor thing, I think they usually are messy, but...I dunno, I just never look down! It's usually pretty dark when I get in there and I'm concentrating more on talking to the people I'm with :D

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Spreading the film on two discs is a great idea.

For the FOTR: EE DVD, the transfer lacked a lot of the ringing I noticed on the standard DVD edition. Lawrence of Arabia could have been perfect (besides color timing problems) if Columbia didn't put all those language tracks on the DVD and put subtitles for them instead. I know for a fact that if that DVD had 4 layers just for the video and audio, it would have had no ringing. (One reason I want a Superbit of the film...)

After all, how would a presentation of Schindler's List be different from the laserdiscs, VHS, theatrical, and TV showings? All had a break in the middle. (LD's had more)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
After all, how would a presentation of Schindler's List be different from the laserdiscs, VHS, theatrical, and TV showings?
The question should be how different it would be from a theatrical presentation.

Look, I'm not saying I wouldn't buy it, it's just a bit of a bummer.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I think that having to get up to switch discs detracts from the experience more than only having DD 5.1 audio
I bet that both versions will be spread across 2 discs based on the run time, the B&W for either version DTS or DD which I'm almost willing to guarantee will be 2 seperate versions. Next thing you know folks will be crying for Full bit rate DTS :rolleyes

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Remember they had to split Godfather 2 over 2 discs (at Coppola's insistence when he saw the quality of it scrunched onto one disc) and it's only 3 minutes longer than Schindler's list, and someone noted earlier in the thread that a B&W film would require a higher bit rate.
But didn't The Godfather: Part II have an intermission during its theatrical release?

Seth_S

Second Unit

How would the film being B&W cause a need for more space to preserve image quality? Films longer than SL have been shoved on a single disc containing multiple audio tracks (no DTS obviously) with pretty good results.

greg_t

Screenwriter
If we want the DVD to most accurately represent the theatrical presentation, there won't be a dolby digital 5.1 mix at all, as according to the Internet Movie Database and Widescreen Reviews stats, Schindler's List was only presented in DTS digital and Dolby SR analog I believe. There was no Dolby Digital 5.1 mix theatrically according to those two sources.

As for spreading to two discs, I'm all for it as long as the truely utilize the space. I was playing with a program I downloaded called DVD Bitrate Viewer, which will give you the average video bitrate of a dvd. I compared the 1 disc to the 2 disc lord of the rings, and the 2 disc was about 1 meg per second higher on average than the 1 disc. I tried about 10 discs, and the highest average video bitrate one I found was the 2 disc Dances with Wolves DTS, with which both discs had a average video bitrate of over 8 meg/second, and full bitrate DTS. I would pay big bucks for an anamaphoric 2 disc dvd like that as it would likely be the best representation of the theatrical experience by giving us the highest quality video and audio presentation of the film.

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Well the 206 minute cut of JFK is on one disc, sans DTS, but it is a colour feature and it's 2.35:1 so there is a lot of bitrate-saving deadspace.

Quality's acceptable though.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
If this proves to be true then it looks like all the Spielberg films will be out this year...well except Duel because who knows when that's coming out.
Well, there's also the Indiana Jones trilogy. They're rumored for later this year, but they're far from being a sure thing.

MarcinL

Stunt Coordinator
actually both Indiana Jones and Shindlers List is a sure thing this year, both in the 4th quarter. Paramount will release official press release begining of March, so those of you that held you breath for a long time, you got few more weeks to go, Shindler's list might take about 1-2 months for official press release, also there is a big possibility that Schindler's List might be a bit expensive, somewhere in the high 30's for SRP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks