What's new

Schindler's List announcement soon. (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

There was no intermission for the theatrical exhibition.

The videotapes faded scenes in and out when the film was split up

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I'm in for a 5.1 presentation, because I have been reliably told that the DTS laserdisc's sound design is utterly chilling. I own the DPL laserdisc, and that is excellent too.

It's fine by me for a two disc release, as long as it's to preserve quality.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
That sounds like a brilliant disc! Its about time! Maybe they'll make it a 3-disc to give the film more breathing room.

Adam Brandner

Stunt Coordinator
Hate to hop in late, but I agree with Rain and a few others. I like DTS, and always opt for the DTS version of a movie when it won't effect the extras (unlike ANTZ and MIB). However, if the only thing spreading this over two discs is the DTS track, then I'd rather not have it. It isn't that much better than DD, and spreading the movie over two discs completely disrupts the viewing experience, especially if you're watching with someone that has never seen it.

First, there's the awkward "oh, we can talk now" few moments during the disc change, when you don't have time to say anything other than "isn't this movie great?" or "how do you like it so far?"

Second, it alerts new viewer that you are around halfway through the film and things are going to start winding down. Hopefully, the viewer can forget about how far in they are so that they can really enjoy the story, instead of constantly thinking "okay, I know the movie only has about an hour or so left, what can they do in that amount of time" and the like.

Now, this is just my experience, having shown movies like Godfather 2 at my place, it's clear the second disc definitely alters the viewing experience, especially for any potentional first-time viewers. Yes, hometheater is nice because you can pause to answer the phone and rewind if someone missed some dialogue, but ideally, it would be nice if the feature didn't create it's own pause for you (unless absolutely necessary, or after a "theater planned intermission").

This might sound really crazy, but I'd even give up any potential commetaries to get this onto one disc. I love commentaries, but truthfully, I watch them one time after I buy a disc and almost never go back. I could sacrifice a commentary for this with no guilt whatsoever, although it would be nice to have documentaries instead, in that event.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
How utterly ridiculous it is for people to complain about a release being 2 discs. I'm guessing none of you have owned laserdiscs in the past. I still own quite a few laserdiscs. You know what I do for 2 disc releases where I have to get up and change the disc? I get up, change the disc, sit back down and continue watching the movie! No awkward, "Gee, isn't this movie great?" moments here, sorry.

I'm all for 2 disc releases, especially if it means the addition of a DTS track. When are you going to have to get up to change the disc? After 2+ hours of viewing? Big deal!

I don't see how anyone complain about having to change a disc for a movie that is over 2 - 2.5 hours. If you really don't like it, build an HTPC, merge the movie into one big file, and then watch it from there.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
One disc or two, doesn't matter to me. Heck, I'd pick this movie up if the release were bare-bones...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing none of you have owned laserdiscs in the past. I still own quite a few laserdiscs.
I bow to your superior... um... ownership of laserdiscs. But how is that relevent to whether or not Universal can fit Schindler's List on a single DVD?

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
From the Davis DVD rumor section:

While promoting Catch Me If You Can on "The Today Show," director Steven Spielberg touched upon deleted scenes and a couple of his upcoming special edition DVDs. There is about 1 hour of deleted scenes from Schindler's List.

Is there a chance that we will get all of those deleted scenes? I would imagine that it would be pretty difficult to fit a 3 hour movie, an hour of deleted scenes, and the rest of the extras on only two discs.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
If the idea is to try and present the movie as was intended, that includes proper aspect ratio, proper sound mix, B&W or color, and proper number of interruptions (in most cases, zero).
I'm truly not trying to be sarcastic, but if this is the case, wouldn't you also have to see this on a movie theater sized screen, because that's how it's intended to be seen? I've got a 65" widescreen Mits in a dedicated home theater room, but it's definitely not the same (but I love it anyway). I think the operative word here is "try". If they can't get the optimal video quality by squeezing it on one disc, then two is fine with me. My DVD player is only 8.574 feet (give or take a thousandth of an inch) from where my butt rests on my couch, so it's not too inconvenient. I just pretend that this is the portion of the movie where I have to yell at the idiot with the cell phone or the squalling baby.

Again, not trying to be sarcastic, but this is like saying that you won't watch a foreign film unless you know the language. Of course you don't do this, you compromise by watching the film with subtitles, definitely not the way it was intended. If not, good luck with the new Mel Gibson movie about the crucifixion unless you know both Aramaic and Latin.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Obviously, watching it at home involves compromises. However, if those compromises are going to be made, I'd rather the arguably-redundant or extraneous extra audio tracks be removed, rather than the film being broken up.

Lee_eel

Second Unit
the only experience i have of a movie split over two discs is FOTR and that was not the best of transfers in my opinion. (Outdoor scenes like the shire looked stunning but the dark scenes fell apart on my normally very forgiving Sony S735D) So i would settle for just a 5.1 mix without DTS. I would rather have a quality transfer with all extras on a second disc.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Why not put the extras on the second disc and put the DTS and DD 5.1 on a dual layer disc 1?
As has been discussed in this thread ad nauseum, a 197-minute movie with both Dolby Digital and DTS audio tracks will not fit on a single disc without compromising picture quality.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
JFK had a good picture, was 205 minutes and fit on 1 disc (without DTS). A substanstial part of it is B&W.

I have a bad feeling that Universal is going to mess this up terribly. (BTTf, ET, etc)

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Brent's foreign language post was very effective. Changing a disc is one of the easier tasks in life, and High A/V quality overrides '1 sitting' in terms of original presentation value, IMHO.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
JFK had a good picture, was 205 minutes and fit on 1 disc (without DTS).
Apples and oranges. It didn't have a DTS track, which makes it an invalid comparison. Add to that the fact that different types of pictures compress differently. There's a certain amoutn of intentional grain in "Schindler's List," which will be difficult to compress compared to some other pictures.

I've said this in other threads: None of us have ever authored a DVD. Why don't we assume that Steven Spielberg might know a little more about the process than we do and give him the benefit of the doubt? Hmmm?

Adam Brandner

Stunt Coordinator
How utterly ridiculous it is for people to complain about a release being 2 discs.
Hey, I'm buying this title no matter what, but the fact is that I can barely tell the difference between DD and DTS on most discs, and I have a decent surround sound system (nothing compared to many here, though). I'm not going to be crying if this does end up on 2 discs, but if I had my choice, I'd rather skip the DTS track and the annoyance of changing the disc. Some people might not mind, but personally, I got a little tired of that with my copies of this movie and the Godfather on VHS. Never owned a LD player, but rest assured, I've been switching tapes for years. It's a pet peeve, what can I say?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks