What's new

Scamming the Nigerian Scammers... (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Some aren't, obviously. But there are some that are just really, really, really gullible/stupid people. There's the guy in FL who evem though he was taken for over $300k, still thinks it's all due to "corrupt government officials", and that the scammers were sincere, and are "his friends". He's retired, took a second mortage on his house, took out over 10 credit cards, and is now desperate, trying to begin to pay back his creditors. Then there's the guy that committed suicide when he realized he'd lost $25k. Or the few that ended up getting killed once in Nigeria.

Stories like that are why I enjoy seeing the scammers messed with. Some of them may just be poor desperate people trying to make a quick buck, but some are far worse than just thieves.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Oh, don't get me wrong, I am not condoning the scammers actions in a any shape, way or fashion! I am just saying that to be their victim, ya have to have agreed to participate in a clearly illegal deal to begin with. As such, you're not much better than them. But no one seems to care about that.

--
H

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
The Nigerians are using other scam tactics as well. Recently a call was made to my wife’s shop from someone claiming to be mute, using a device that would speak when text was typed into it. They wanted to place an order for 100 bottles of natural vitamin E. The total cost was going to be over $1,400.00.

The worker at my wife’s shop who was taking the order spent a half-hour slowly getting the order information. Even though she asked several times, the fact that he wanted it shipped to an address in Nigeria was not given until the very end of the order.

The Nigerian gave her 5 credit card numbers and told her to divide the $1,400.00 three ways (this should have been a red flag right there!!!). The call interrupted a night class being held at the shop.

The scammer gave her an e-mail address and told her to contact him immediately. The class was over and my wife was e-mailing the scammer when I arrived at the shop and put an immediate halt to the order.

The next day I checked the credit card numbers and although they would have cleared, the cards were so new that the computer didn’t have a bank to reference to the accounts. Had my wife processed the cards, they would have cleared, my wife would have shipped the order, and two weeks later the cards would have been reported as bogus or stolen and we would have to eat the $1,400.00 transaction. Fortunately we did not process the order.

A similar thing happened at my friends’s shop and he lost a total of $5,000.00 before the cards from numerous transactions were reported to be stolen. He had to take the complete $5,000.00 loss himself.

Although you have a large amount of protection if you use a credit card to purchase something, you probably don’t have that protection when you are a business that accepts credit card purchases.

Because of this attempted scam at my wife’s shop and the successful scam at my friend’s shop, I am glad that there are those who are messing with these scammers to disrupt their operations. My wife and my friend were completely innocent in this so it is not the same as the 419 scams.

My question is this. With all of the countries in the world with Internet access, why is there such a large percentage of scams coming from one country in Africa?

Jay Taylor

brentl

Senior HTF Member
This is quite a funny letter from 419eater.com.

It's in regards to a request from the donations board of a small church called "the church of bread and wine" to have a letter sent.

from 419eater.com "The Donation Committee have decided that if you send them a HAND WRITTEN letter of thanks for their donation then this will clear the way for IMMEDIATE PAYMENT to you of the full amount."

This the exact letter he was asked to send:D:D

Hilarious!!

5 hours now!

Brent

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Yeah the baiters have some good photos too, like Church Lady's West Dakota drivers license:

(From the baitor known as "Fist of Death" on the 419 Eater forum using the Church Lady character.)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Hilarious!

Sadly, some of my countrymen have fallen prey to this, it was reported in the papers a few months ago that some had even lost as much as S$2-300K, and IIRC one actually flew to Nigeria (fortunately he returned safely).

I've been receiving these for quite a while now, and have been tempted to bait them; but I think I have better things to do with my time, in particular watch DVDs... :D

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Inspired by the above site, I've decided to do a little baiting on my own. I set up a fake name and email address, and signed a few guestbooks with it. It only took a few hours before my "seeding" worked, and I just replied to the wife of an assasinated dictator who is looking to invest some money in Germany.

I'll let you all know how it goes! :D

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Yeah Matt, let us know when you publish or when significant things happen to your character such as an unfortunate death on the way to Western Union to make the payment.

When I get caught up with things I might try baiting also. It could be an amusing way to kill time at work when things get slow and I feel like slowing down the bad guys.

The fun part will be choosing an amusing character. It will be hard to top "Church Lady" but I have someone in mind that I won't mention until I'm ready to publish.

But for now I’m still in mourning over the demise of Church Lady:

Church Lady Killed by Tornado

Jay Taylor

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I got 3 of these emails yesterday 2 of them were exactly the same but from different addresses.

I not having the technical knowhow to do half of what is being done at 419eater.com sent off an email to the guy that runs that site, we had a nice chat he seems really nice BTW, and he now has the emails that were sent to me, and he told me that he believes he's got the time to deal with them.

I even gave him a character suggestion of course, from reading his site, he doesn't really need it.

Father Vincent Price
Darth Vader
Phil Mycrackin
Butt Clencher
The Rev. Justin Timberlake
all genius I'm telling you.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ah, yes... The Rev. Justin Timberlake, from the Church of Our Sacred Wardrobe Malfunction :emoji_thumbsup:

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I love the church lady 1 but also the 1 where the scammer got conned out of $41.50 roughly.

"We don't just take it to the top, we take it up the arse."

Some of the voice mails are really good also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.