What's new

Scamming the Nigerian Scammers... (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I really like it when people do this I read a funny one on the net a few months ago from a guy I think his name is Jim MacQuarry (SP?) I know that's pretty close.

I've gotten 2 of these emails, and if I get a third I might just enter in to some kind of dialog.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I've gotten so many of those it's not even funny anymore. I've felt tempted to bait them, but I'd rather not do that from my home PC. I'm mean-spirited, but I'm also chicken :D

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

You know, I got my first one and felt wanted because I finally got one of them, I had felt left out up to that point I guess. I’m not sure what that says about me, but I’m sure it isn’t good.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
You're not alone, I'm actually kinda ticked off I haven't been approached by the white van speakers guys :angry:;)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Well, I don't expect that to happen to me anytime soon given I live in a pretty rural area of the U.S., but I can always move with the hopes that it happens.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Ricardo, I want your babies. :D This is one of the funniest sites I've ever encountered. I've been looking for another hobby besides stamp collecting and I think I've just found it.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I read that steve ebe letter (the scam them) link off the main page. it's 4 pages long, but pretty damn funny!! I've never gotten these letters, but good to see that the money isn't only flowing one way...

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Yep, spent almost 90 minutes reading that site.

If would have been 60 minutes except for the REALLY bad english.

Bookmarked for later viewing.

Brent

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I got one of those eBay scam mails through last week. Went through all the usual reporting processes (including to the owner of a domain the scam was coming from - blissfully unaware their Apache server had been compromised).

As an extra, I did enter some details into the mail and sent it back, with a name of "I'm a theiving c**t" and an address of "1 Theiving scumbag who blows goats St."

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Got one of those in my e-mail last month, similar to a 419 scam. A first time event. Enjoy...

Thank goodness it comes via my Yahoo (read - junk mail) address

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
If you're lucky, you'll get one from Haiti, telling you Aristide left a few million behind. I've gotten two of those already. Gotta love these guys.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
My main hobby is not Home Theater. It is magic and specifically, the art of the confidence game. I'm not a con-man myself, and never have been, but it is a subject that has interested me since childhood.

I have extensively studied the subject under the tutelage of some of the world's great conmen and magicians.

Nigerian email scams and speaker ripoffs aren't as artistic as the Jam Auction or Monty, but the principles are all the same... Find the fish, appeal to their basest emotion (anger, greed, ego...), rip em off, and smooth it so they will never tell a soul.

I would advise that people simply delete scam emails, just as I would advise that you RUN away when you discover you have encountered a con artist. DO NOT engage these people. There is absolutely NOTHING to be gained by doing so.

If I were to give one piece of advice on the subject, it is this:

If you ever hear a voice inside your head say, "I'm gonna teach this guy a lesson!!!"
STOP what you are doing that INSTANT, leave the area, and go do something else. (oh, yeah... and make sure you aren't being followed).

Why? Because those are the most dangerous words in the English language. Every major confidence scam begins with the mark spotting the gaff, and thinking he can teach the grifter a lesson, or better yet, BEAT HIM at his own game... HE CANT.

DONT BOTHER baiting these people. At best, you're wasting YOUR TIME. At worse you run the risk of making yourself out to be a mark for the next scam they try.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Erik I must thank you much now from my heart’s bottom for telling stop to what’s people are learning of my tricks what are taking money from Americans and other countries where the peoples have money too much.

Many peoples have sent to me with good favor much money to my home in Nigeria.

Those who learn much of my tricks and then in bad favor do themselves then trick me back are wasting my time very muchly and cause me to not take money so much from Americans and also those very bad peoples from the United Kingdom who learned of my tricks.

I thank you most deeply with most sincerly Erik for making them stop wasting the time which I most need to trick them more so.

Many tries have I made to find those who trick me back but they are very very badly hiding themselves like a goat behind a tree with e-mail names of which they are not real so find them I can not do.

If those of United Kingdom and America would be to just listen to you who is to me very wise and very much my friend then most rich will I be and those countries with money so much no longer will they be rich.

Yours with most favor,
Hindiku Mortali
Abuja, Nigeria

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'm now up to 3 1/2 hours reading these things!!

I love the one with the cutoff heads and the money added in.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I've been getting these for about a year now. So far, I've been able to deposit about U.S. $1 .2 million in my bank account. Good luck to the rest of you! :D

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The "victims" of these scams are not exactly angels either. I have ZERO sympathy for them. Funny no one mentioned that.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.