What's new

s-video question (1 Viewer)

Tommy_Y

Grip
If you run the standard PS2 cable that comes with it into a audio receiver and then run in to the TV by the s-video out jack on the receiver, are you getting s-video output? Or must you have an actualy s-video cable directly from the PS2 going into whatever source you are using?

Just wondering if I need to buy a true s-video cable for the PS2 or if I can get around doing that by the method I mentioned. I've got a whole bunch of s-video cables lying around from all the graphics cards I've bought in years past.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Both cables need to be S-video. The connection is only as good as it's lowest quality component, which is the composite ps2 to receiver cable, in this case.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Most receivers won't convert composite video to S-video, anyway...

Bite the bullet and buy the PS2 s-video cables...

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
must you have an actualy s-video cable directly from the PS2 going into whatever source you are using?
Yes.

Just a quick word of advice: the Monster Gamelink cables, while sturdy and generally respected, are overpriced. Sony makes these cables for 1/3 the $$. Most of the Gamelink bundles also come with an optical audio cable, something you may/may not need.

~j

Nathan A

Second Unit
but even the Sony cable is a bit pricy ($30 everywhere i've seen). I think Pelican makes a nice one (should be in a clear plastic package; the build quality looks much better than typical 3rd party cables). I use the Pelican S-video cable for my Dreamcast and it works well.

Tommy_Y

Grip
That is the exact cable I was looking for but I think Pelican discontinued it and only makes a cheaper version now :frowning:

Nathan A

Second Unit
that's a bummer. most 3rd party cables seem really cheap; i got the nicer pelican one for only $10

Tommy_Y

Grip
I've been trying to get me set on Ebay but I was alwasy get outbid LOL. I bought the cheapo Pelican one and the wires are sooo thin...even thinner than the standard RCAs you get with most audio equipment.

I found an Interact s-video cable on Ebay for $2.99 and that one looks very similar to the Pelican Pro series cables that are pretty fat cables so I'll see how that one is.

I still wouldn't mind getting a set of the Monster cables cause they just look cool. I probably should just drop the bucks and get it instead of wasting all this money on cheaper cables LOL...and I'll eventually end up getting the Monster one anyways.

One thing I'm guessing about the Monster cables is that there is a very high return rate because many of the ones on Ebay are from resellers in opened packaging. I'm assuming many return it due to the high cost/low benefit that these buyers percieve to get from this particular cable.

I think they look cool and will end up getting one eventually...should of just gotten it from the beginning LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks