What's new

rx-v2200 and paradigm (1 Viewer)

Anyone out there using the rx-v2200 Yamaha with Paradigm Studio 100s?

If so, how do you like the combination?

Also, how warm does the reciever get at regular listening levels?

I believe the 100s are rated at 91 dB sensitive, so the Yamaha 2200 should be fine right?

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I have the RX-V1000, which was the prior version of the 2200 (the 2200 claims a bit more power). The RX-V1000 ran well with the 100's, though I ran them on SMALL, and nowhere near reference levels.

Based on info from the Paradigm US marketing director (and my own experience), I'd claim that you are fine, as long as you keep the volume moderate. Put another way, if you are going for reference or near reference levels, then I'd think about an external amp. See the many posts about what would be appropriate.

Some claim the Paradigm/Yamaha combo is too bright, but personally, I think it's just very revealing, in a pleasant way. Do you think you would favour a warmer (or darker) sound?

I just added a Bryston 4BST, and I can say, the difference IS night and day. But if I had never heard the 100's with external amplification, I would still have been a happy listener.

Martin.

Thanks for the info Martin. Actually, I am quite happy with the sound quality, but I have not heard the 100s with external amplification. I was thinking of upgrading to the 3200, but it really doesn't offer that much more power. Also, it is more than double the price I paid for the 2200.

My concern with the 2200 is that when listening to CDs or concert DVDs at about 78dB on the SPL meter, the internal cooling fan kicks in. My receiver is on top of my cabinet so ventilation is not problem. I'm just not sure if the fan being on is OK or if it is a sign that I am driving the receiver to it's limits. The sound is still fine though, no clipping or distortion that I can hear...

Thanks,
Ken

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Ken,
While there are many factors to consider, such as room dynamics, furniture, size of room, distance from speakers, placement of speakers, and so on, I'd say that listening at 78dB, assuming peaks around 90dB, should only be drawing about a watt a channel, in 2 channel, and even less per channel in multichannel. There's a nifty calculator you can play with to see for yourself:
http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...alculator.html
Based on those volumes, I don't think you'd be anywhere near clipping. I certainly had no problems.
My receiver doesn't have a fan, so I can't say whether yours should or shouldn't be on.
Good luck!
Martin.

HankB

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently running 80's with a VX-1200. I calibrated it at 75 db, and have had no problems. The receiver barely gets warm and there was no clipping. I do use a sub, that is crossed at 100. I remember hearing that the paradigms dropped to 5 ohms or so when producing low bass. That would probably give an amp some trouble. But with a sub (and crossover or bass management) you shouldn't have any trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks